Why people feel like chasing what they are losing

DarkKnight

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Can someone fully explain the psychology of people who chase after what they are losing. For instance with takeaways, or mood shifts. Men do this, women also do this. Today I felt the urge of chasing someone very lightly but smothered it when the feeling arose because I am in high momentum. But I definitely felt it whereas I was indifferent before.

I am just wondering "why" are people doing this. Suddenly caring about someone or something they didnt care about before

Just want to hear your well written thoughts guys this is a bit philosphical. I understand the dynamics obviously but the psychology mystifies me or I want to understand it more comprehensively

MuST0BtA1NSkR1Lla

Modern Human
Modern Human
I had that when I sold off some of my cars, I think there is a thought process that goes like, “Well this still works, it’s an awesome car!” But really it’s an old car and it’s not a bad thing to buy a new one.

ulrich

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Psychologically, things increase their value when they are scarce.
Our monkey minds are hard coded to consider an opportunity way more valuable if it is fleeting or time sensitive.

So, whenever you got an opportunity/job/partner that cannot easily be replaced and you formerly considered secure (abundant) suddenly becoming inaccesible, your mind suddenly multiplies its value.

The more irreplaceable it is in your mind, the harder the instinct kicks out.

DarkJedi

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Our minds are hardwired to be loss-averse. The pain we feel when we lose something we had is greater than an equivalent gain. Same reason that we feel more pain if we lost a 1000 bucks in the stock market on one day even though we had made a 1000 bucks the previous day. So, when you see that you could lose the girl, it hits you harder and you try to rectify it.

I think it also ties into attachment. Attachment to outcome and expectations. Since your ego is attached to the expectation that you can get the specific girl (attainability), if she suddenly seems scarce/unattainable, your ego is threatened and tries to get back to where it was. If you didn't think the girl was attainable initially, her becoming scarce would not change things. And when you are in high momentum or more in an abundance mindset, you are less attached to that specific outcome. So it is easier to let go.

DarkKnight

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
I think it also ties into attachment. Attachment to outcome and expectations. Since your ego is attached to the expectation that you can get the specific girl (attainability), if she suddenly seems scarce/unattainable, your ego is threatened and tries to get back to where it was. If you didn't think the girl was attainable initially, her becoming scarce would not change things
cool nuance, I didnt consider this

Chad Tyrone

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid

You may have read it before but a reread doesn't hurt😉

I think chasing comes down to loss aversion -the pain of losing something is twice as powerful as the pleasure of gaining...we tend to value more what we are losing .

I mean people will do much more to avoid pain/ loss than they will to gain pleasure .This is why most people that chase are desperate and are never willing to walk away.

That girl he is chasing will feel like his only hope because he lacks options,most likely.With multiple options it's hard to feel desperate like the 'chaser' guys.

Most of the time it happens after a withdrawal of interest which then triggers the feeling of losing.It's silly cause why didn't he move things forward and act fast when he had the chance to.

It's always a good learning experience though for most guys.Most guys who persist when it counts have learned not to wait too long and act fast especially when she's available and interested.

You chase a few girls and realize it's a done deal once she has withdrawn her interest and is no longer interested in you.You also play aloof enough times and realize how most girls you are losing due to attainability issues.

So yeah walking the middle line happens after being on both sides of the spectrum.And you'll be happy that those fuck-ups were lessons in themselves.

Lol this feels like a note to self...I apologize if I adopted a teacher tone😉😁

Chad Tyrone

DarkKnight

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Lol this feels like a note to self...I apologize if I adopted a teacher tone
Nah man you are very civil in tone, thabks for the reply but it is interesting how we all come into a question from our own perspective or how we are about it in this very moment.

That girl he is chasing will feel like his only hope because he lacks options,most likely.With multiple options it's hard to feel desperate like the 'chaser' guys.
So why do girls with a lot of options feel the same panic when it happens to them? They are the polar opposite but feel the same stressed out feeling, even girls in their prime.

Alpha13SC

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
So why do girls with a lot of options feel the same panic when it happens to them? They are the polar opposite but feel the same stressed out feeling, even girls in their prime.

The same way seducers feel that even if they have abundance. It s about the quality as well. We feel that fear of loss when something valuable may get out of our life. For girls is the same because not all of their options are actually true options. Otherwise every girl would be in a relationship.

Plus, it s a human instinct, not a male instinct.

slashrfnr

Space Monkey
space monkey
The same way seducers feel that even if they have abundance. It s about the quality as well. We feel that fear of loss when something valuable may get out of our life. For girls is the same because not all of their options are actually true options. Otherwise every girl would be in a relationship.

Plus, it s a human instinct, not a male instinct.
This is so true. I recently broke up with a girl who i had only been dating for 3 months, but I felt a very strong emotional connection with (the strongest connection I've had with someone in the past 6 years), and it still weighs so heavy on my mind. She wasn't even a super hot girl, but I just really enjoyed her presence and felt very comfortable. So even though I went out and got laid a week after breaking up, and know I'm a pretty attractive guy I still feel that loss very strongly

Chad Tyrone

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Nah man you are very civil in tone, thabks for the reply but it is interesting how we all come into a question from our own perspective or how we are about it in this very moment.

Well that would really depend on how much experience one has when it comes to dating and seduction.Of course you are more immune to rejection and chasing girls it doesn't go anywhere with if you have been around the block a lot more than the guy who is starting out.

You already have a set process that you follow with girls by then and have done it enough times and seen success with it that a girl pulling away won't bother you as much.

Also you having options makes you confident enough to know you can replace a chick at any given time.That said with time your process becomes mistakes -free or close that you don't waste time or mess things up with chicks to begin with that you are then forced to chase them after they have abandoned ship.

If most people could get rid of indecisiveness,act fast and lead strongly while still having other options...chasing would be non -existent.

Anyway on with chicks in their prime who also may have multiple options:

A girl will chase you down if she finds you attractive enough and open windows for you to act upon and maybe cut you a little slack if she is really into you.Fail to make things happen or flip the script and chase her yourself and it's dead.

If you have a good process chicks will chase you in the beginning usually and also later after you have shagged them as long as she finds you attainable and within her reach .

Also girls move on a lot faster than men in general.She will chase you maybe for a while then move on completely than you'd think.She may be remorseful and try to get you back if you were their best option but most of the time she'll move on because she has no time.I've had hot chicks who were into me go stone cold on me, during my early years and not even with good game and my silver tongue could I win them over again.

Again she'll pick the "wrong guy" if the "right one" isn't free or available . Usually best to move on yourself with such girls .No amount of trying to "save" them will help in any way.If you are doing it once she has walked away herself,you are chasing.

So yeah she may chase you up to a certain point and then compromise on her less valuable options instead once she realizes she can't get you .Also most girls chasing you are doing it cause they are attracted and would want to see where things may lead to.She is hoping you don't mess it up and that you'll finally give her what she is seeking...a roll in the hay obviously 😉

She is not chasing like men most men do out of desperation or wanting to own you unless she is desperate but more of her being really into you and is curious of how things would go.

And besides most guys don't know how to get girls chasing them so most girls lay back and pick who she wants best.

Bottom line:girls may chase yes but only to a certain point

She'll tend to cut more slack for guys she has known for a while or her boyfriend than she would a stranger-lover

She may be a lil bit panick-ey when she feels she's losing you but not so much than it is with guys since she has options and may settle for just "good enough".

She won't try her darnedest to get you back like most guys will to get her since she has no time and has to avoid overt rejection lest she be considered unattractive and unable to get a guy.

Hope this helps

Chad Tyrone

Francis

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
I heavily over think everything in terms of amateur evolutionary biology. When a girl flakes on you and you react emotionally, this shows you don't have options. When it's no big deal, this shows there are other girls available to you. Since they evolved to be cautious and use cues from each other as the most reliable indicator, this further implies you are pre-selected, and she may exhibit "mate choice copying" (the scientific term).

So same thing when I meet a girl who is smarter or hotter than usual. Especially if we hit it off and I feel there's a chance (her attainability is up), I am attracted. If I start losing her, my genes are really pissed! I will only have access to genes inferior to hers if I don't go pin her down, so the reptilian brain latches on to her, and you end up showing your hand of low abundance. You are then anti-pre-selected and she copies the mate choice of rejecting you.

If you have not had water all day and watch a beer commercial or something with all the condensation and bubbles, it will feel a lot different than if you were quenched beforehand. So you'll be fantasizing about that sexy faucet and she can read you like a book, thinking "damn, he thirsty".

DarkKnight

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
So same thing when I meet a girl who is smarter or hotter than usual. Especially if we hit it off and I feel there's a chance (her attainability is up), I am attracted. If I start losing her, my genes are really pissed! I will only have access to genes inferior to hers if I don't go pin her down, so the reptilian brain latches on to her, and you end up showing your hand of low abundance. You are then anti-pre-selected and she copies the mate choice of rejecting you.
Hey wow. Nice explanation

>