What Separate’s Masters of their Craft

Rakehell

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Last night, Jon jones beat Ciryl Gane, a #1 prospect mma fighter with seemingly little difficulty. The fight probably lasted 45 seconds in realtime, with Gane tapping out with relative ease. As Jones predicted, “I’m gonna make this look easy”.

Both of these guy’s are seasoned athletes and elite in their own right. Despite this Jon Jones made easy work of him.

This is after a 3 year hiatus on Jone’s end, where he gained upwards of 35 lbs, jumping up a whole weight class, in order to fight bigger and stronger opponents.

This was controversial and caused alot of speculation on whether Jones would be able to hang with these bigger guys, considering he was always considered the bigger guy in his fights. People always said he had the advantage, but in this case he didn’t.

Both of these guys are talented, both of these guy’s work hard, both are in peak shape.

So my question to you all is. What separates guy’s who are considered 1 in a generation, from other guys who are arguably just as talented, just as hardworking, and just as conditioned.

I have my own theories but im interested to know what you all think. Guy’s like Tom Brady, Ronaldo, Messi, Lebron James, Tiger Woods, Floyd Mayweather.

It’s obvious to see what separates them from amateurs, but what is it that separates them from the other people who’d be considered “elite”.

Warped Mindless

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
There isn’t just one factor usually but if we are talking about high level athletics where everyone is working hard and have the best coaches… genetics will play a huge role.

Surveyor

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
What separates guy’s who are considered 1 in a generation, from other guys who are arguably just as talented, just as hardworking, and just as conditioned.

I have my own theories but im interested to know what you all think. Guy’s like Tom Brady, Ronaldo, Messi, Lebron James, Tiger Woods, Floyd Mayweather.

It’s obvious to see what separates them from amateurs, but what is it that separates them from the other people who’d be considered “elite”.
I can't quite put my finger on it, but all of the guys you named share a certain mentality.

And I think it's possible for a Man to apply that mentality, whatever it is exactly, to his daily life.

King

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Three really big points especially for MMA fighters.
two of which have already been mentioned

1)Genetics
2)Mentality + work ethic
3)Amazing coaches and mentors

Having good genetics and a good mentality is great and all but without good teachers to help you guide your focus and polish your raw talents and refine them so that you can achieve your absolute best is a major key to success for athletes.

Surveyor

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
1)Genetics
Except in cases that can be boiled down to something simple (e.g. marathons), that explanation is usually a bit of a cop-out. An excuse not to go above and beyond with #2.
2)Mentality + work ethics
This is ten times more important than genes.
But it's not just being diligent and persevering. Don't get me wrong, those are often essential.
But these guys are artists. Even (especially? idk) Mayweather. They genuinely enjoy what they do for its own sake.
It's not exactly a strenuous physical sport, but I can tell you, with what I do at a semi-pro level, once I hit a flow state, it just is.
This principle also applies, for instance, to chess. The most important difference between Magnus Carlsen, Judit Polgar, Mikhail Tal, etc. and their phenomenally brilliant opponents has been the champions' seemingly chill approach to the game.
It's easier to experience this than to explain it.
Definitely important. But there have been a few cases where the champion was largely their own mentor.

Wick

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
I can't quite put my finger on it, but all of the guys you named share a certain mentality.

Single mindedness. I'd add Mike Tyson to the list. Boxing was his only thing, he also had a coach that was like a father figure that helped him get off the streets. And yes, genetics.

ferrero

Space Monkey
space monkey
So my question to you all is. What separates guy’s who are considered 1 in a generation, from other guys who are arguably just as talented, just as hardworking, and just as conditioned.
Well, tbf fighting is a bit different from the other sports here.

In fighting, styles make fights. Jon Jones is the by far more elite wrestler of the two, and Gane likes to lay back and collect information for the first couple rounds to get a feel for his opponent and let them tire out (which they often do at heavyweight).

Jones didn't let Gane do any of that, instead electing to take the first opening available to take him down (which he did, because he's the better wrestler, and because Gane looks like he had never wrestled before in his life) and quickly move to submit him.

So, in this case, it was strategy. Same with Mayweather, who often beat equally skilled opponents with superior tactics, being probably the most strategically-sound fighter of the last 20+ years.

Rakehell

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
So, in this case, it was strategy.
I can concede that. I even considered it, and i’m sure it played a factor.

But in anything, but especially something like that, where two people are pitted against eachother. And there’s data out there for each person and their respective teams to study one another. Strategy is a loose concept going in.

In fact Jones told his strategy for the world to see, before even going into the fight. So much for surprises right?

But even despite of that he was able to execute his strategy with little to no resistance.

Floyd is another obvious strategist. But despite his strategy being plainly out there for others to capitalize on, it’s easy to see that it’s not easy to stop. And he’d win regardless.

So yeah strategic edge plays a part, but I think their execution is even more impressive.

I used fighters and sports to more easily conceptualize it, but i’d argue there are people who other elites just can’t hold a candle to. Whether its business, writing, artistry, politics.

edit: as a matter of fact mike tyson even said “everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face”.

Last edited:

Rakehell

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid

And I think it's possible for a Man to apply that mentality, whatever it is exactly, to his daily life.
Personally it’d be hard to speak for these guys, but if I had to speculate it’s something rooted in their self esteem. It’s different from really wanting to succeed. Or just winning. Everybody wants to win.

I think it’s more closely related to the concept of losing.

It’s probably something that has to happen, otherwise they’d go insane. It’s something close to not being able to cope with losses, otherwise they wouldn’t be able to function in a regular way.

POB

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
1)Genetics
2)Mentality + work ethic
A would also add the emotional aspect...they just want it more.
When you're close to the top of the mountain. it's easy to give up.
Those guys you mentioned don't even think about giving up.
They are winning psychopats.

When Connor said he would destroy Aldo, I got the chills.
The way he said it, he won the fight right there.

This is also why Kobe and MJ are above Lebron
(even when LeBron is by far the better physical specimen and a more rounded player).

Rakehell

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
They are winning psychopats.
Lol yeah on multiple levels too.

Jon jones is a super obvious one. Even though the UFC is a pretty grimey place to earn your stripes, Jones is known for not pulling any punches and is a pretty dirty fighter to sociopathic levels. Poking eyes, kicking knees, genuinely doing things that could end a person’s career.

MJ is a super vindictive player, and remembered every smear against his name. Kobe had a visceral disregard for any teammate he felt was a weak link, or that didn’t work as hard as he was. Which was a pretty high bar.

I’d even add Lebron to that list. Even though he’s way less callous on the surface. He’s known now for not being above trading off teammates for holding back the team. And pretty much designing the team hes playing for.

So yeah no getting past these guys are a little off.

>