so will smith just slapped chris rock

Train

Chieftan
tribal-elder

Trainwrecks on award shows explained.

Another Louie CK "patter writing" story:

Probably some of that mixed in haha.

I think you need to be logged out or have adblocker off to watch imbedded youtube vids, not sure why.

Gun
Reminds of when Ricky Gervais roasted entire Hollywood at the Golden Globes. Can't see it having been approved but maybe the producers secretly had a hate boner for Hollywood haha:

Tim Iron

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
@Gunwitch it wasn't meant to be a belly laugh joke or a "roasting", it was a "chuckle or light joke". Every comedian mixes these two types in their performances. That's why a lot of people view the slap as being too excessive coming from a 53 year old man.

Dash of Englishness

Space Monkey
space monkey
There was a news article a few days ago basically about there being an expectation that a big surprise was going to happen at the Oscars.
Also apparently will heard the joke in the rehearsals they did.

Will Smith is an Oscar winning actor. If he wants to act and pretend to feel a certain way, he can be very convincing. Chris rock is also an actor. Is it so hard to believe that two professional elite actors can put on a performance at the Oscars?

You guys think it's just a coincidence?

In the end they have what they wanted, us talking about them and giving them attention.

Hollywood is just all smoke and mirrors.
But there's probably a news article like that every year! It's no different to someone predicting a heatwave. If you're right, then didn't both Rock and Smith both let their race down? And what would their motivation be? Money? Why would Will Smith want more money? Smith has fallen in the opinions of so many after this. It doesn't make sense that he'd be willing to do it as part of an act. It seemed real to me... especially in the way Smith tries to laugh it off first.

Rain

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
A week ago by Chris Rock

“Anyone who says words hurt has never been punched in the face,” the comedian, 57, joked during his set at the PNC Bank Arts Center in Holmdel, New Jersey, on Sunday, July 24, an eyewitness exclusively told Us Weekly. During the show, Rock also referred to Smith, 53, as “Suge Smith,” a possible reference to the currently-incarcerated Death Row Records CEO Suge Knight.

Later, during a sketch about people being overly sensitive and playing the victim, Rock declared, “I’m not a victim, mother–ker,” before joking that he “shook that s–t off” and returned to work. “Yeah, that s–t hurt, motherf–ker,” he continued. “But I shook that s–t off and went to work the next day … I don’t go to the hospital for a papercut.”

Both words and phsyical can hurt. I think brain scans shows this iirc of course. You don't need a brain scan though, just listen to many people who get hurt by words.

Now Will Smith apologises a second time and answers questions that people have been asking about it.

Will Smith has posted an emotional video to his social channels expressing remorse over the Oscars slap.
starting with why he didn’t apologise to Rock in his acceptance speech.

“It’s all fuzzy,” Smith said. “I’ve reached out to Chris and the message that came back is that he’s not ready to talk and when he is, he will reach out so I will say to you Chris, I apologise to you. My behaviour was unacceptable and I’m here whenever you’re ready to talk.”

the last three months “replaying and understanding the nuances and the complexities of what happened in that moment” and while he says he won’t unpack all of that now, he says that there is no part of him that thinks it was “the right way to behave”.

Smith also set the record straight on whether Jada had any involvement in suggesting he should do something. “It’s like, you know, I made a choice on my own from my own experiences, from my history with Chris,” he said. “Jada had nothing to do with it.”
“It really breaks my heart to have stolen and have tarnished your moment,” he then says to the other nominees and winners that night. “I’m sorry really isn’t sufficient.”

This the youtube video that Will made a few hours ago.

Why apologise a second time? Does he want less enemies so to speak or was he originally close with Chris at some point?

Maybe take it a step further, should he have apologised at all? Someone was deliberately ripping on you or someone close to you? "just take it". Here's an idea. How about don't rip on others in the first place.

I mean... if it was an unsafe society.... instead of a safe society, would the slap have been a punch? Do people in unsafe societies apologise like this? Do they make jokes about others like Chris did in the first place or keep their mouth shut?

He says Jada had nothing to do with it. Didn't Jada give him a look and then Chris reacted to the look she gave him?

Last edited:

Skills

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
A week ago by Chris Rock

Both words and phsyical can hurt. I think brain scans shows this iirc of course. You don't need a brain scan though, just listen to many people who get hurt by words.

Now Will Smith apologises a second time and answers questions that people have been asking about it.

This the youtube video that Will made a few hours ago.

Why apologise a second time? Does he want less enemies so to speak or was he originally close with Chris at some point?

Maybe take it a step further, should he have apologised at all? Someone was deliberately ripping on you or someone close to you? "just take it". Here's an idea. How about don't rip on others in the first place.

I mean... if it was an unsafe society.... instead of a safe society, would the slap have been a punch? Do people in unsafe societies apologise like this? Do they make jokes about others like Chris did in the first place or keep their mouth shut?

He says Jada had nothing to do with it. Didn't Jada give him a look and then Chris reacted to the look she gave him?

That youtube video was nice, good move, we all make mistakes....

Terms

Space Monkey
space monkey
Definitely not staged. Will Smith isn’t going to tank his livelihood and legacy to try to help the Oscar’s get better TV ratings one year. Too low value for movie people. He wouldn’t even pull a stunt this personally devastating to help movie ratings, which they actually care about.

The new video is a solid move. Because it played out in public, and because he’s a public figure who’s livelihood and legacy depend on public opinion, he has to manage public perception. He’ll probably pull at least one more move in the next year or so to help with damage control, I’m guessing something more indirect, maybe something humanitarian having to do with bullying.

The cost of fame and a public life is that you give the public power over you. They’re the CEO of your life.

Tim Iron

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
A lot of his die-hard fans who claimed the slap was justified are now commending him for apologizing...

>