Should I go to my Sister's Wedding?

Dash of Englishness

Space Monkey
space monkey
My younger sister who just turned 31 (20 months between us), who I do not get along with, is getting married in October. She has decided to get married abroad in Spain even though we are from Scotland. Neither her nor the groom has any connection to the place.

In spite of all the things that have happened between us I'd still be okay with attending, but unfortunately one incident stands out. Two years ago I had an argument with her which I sort of won. She couldn't take it and later marched into the office of our house where I had went to and told me that when our father passes away that she will never be speaking to me again. Just before it happened our father had been trying to stop her from entering the office saying "that won't do any good". Of course he heard it all. I didn't say anything much back at the time but I remember thinking that I could've said "well why wait until he dies?... why not start now?". After that it took a few weeks for it to go back to being normal between us and now she 'seems' to act as if it's never happened, and like I'm supposed to play along. When I mentioned it to my father he just basically said "oh you no she can get hysterical sometimes". I would attend if it were within the country, but why should I pay several hundred euros and give up several days to attend this?

Regarding the wedding she of course she takes the view of "well you know this will be nice for people, it will be like a holiday and sometimes people need that". In other words, she gets to inconvenience people and then get the credit of having given them a wonderful time. Her fiance just went along with the idea as he's easy-going. I think it's a combination of my sister not caring, and not realising that she's putting people in a difficult position by deciding to be wed abroad. People may have to sacrifice current 2023 holiday plans for this wedding due to not being able to afford both. She has a good job but not everyone else has the same disposable income. Travelling is basically her hobby. She goes abroad about 5 times a year so apart from that she just has substitute hobbies such as cooking, cleaning, and her dog. So I see it as her forcing her hobby upon everyone else.

It would be hard not to go to it because there will be a lot of others who are far less closely related to the family at it, and this will make it look like a definite statement from me. I'd definitely be the only one from the two immediate families not present. I will of course be the bad one if I don't go, and I won't get to bring up why. I don't think there is any point in raising this with my sister because knowing the way she operates, she would turn it around on me. It would most likely be a case of "oh he's still upset about that and that's why he's not going", and thereby implying that I'm easily hurt or dwell too much about things from the past. Of course it is not that I am hurt by that, and more so that her comment reflected what sort of person she is. She wants to have it both ways. She continues to act as if she's never said that when around me as if I'm supposed to play along. I remember at the time our dad said "look, you know she didn't mean it... she can just get hysterical". But my dad is probably not thinking too deeply about it and just saying whatever he can think of to resolve to matters in the easier way. And maybe she didn't mean it. But the problem is, that at some point in the future, she could bring up the remark she made that night again. I mean lets say I ended up visiting her at some point in time in the future after our father does pass away... and lets supposing (unlikely as it may be) that during that visit we had a disagreement! Would it be to easy for her to make the ultimate hurtful insult? I've seen her say some twisted things!

Over the last few months, there have been times where I've felt like I'll definitely be going, and then other times when I felt I definitely shouldn't go to this. I'm not that way about most decisions. There seems to be too many different ways of looking upon it. My dad currently thinks I'm going so if I come out and say that I'm not going without explaining why, then he would very easily be able to tap into whatever doubts I'd have about my decisions. I know about myself that anytime I announce a decisions, I always follow through on them. Maintaining this trait makes it all the more hard to make a decision.

The other thing about this is that her fiance is a really decent guy. I get along with him when we meet. But of course he doesn't know about any of this. And by not going to the wedding he would probably think it bad form from me. I don't have a wife/gf or kids myself and I live a pretty quiet life. I have a good job but I still live with my dad. I think this would all make it more difficult in deciding not to attend as I don't know if I'd have anything else planned as such.

Thanks for reading

Last edited:

Train

Chieftan
tribal-elder
Hi Dash,

From reading, it sounds like you don't want to go to the destination wedding at the time of writing.

I noticed you brought up a lot of cons to attending and few pros. Seems like you're concerned about the optics more than actually enjoying the event. Not that there's anything wrong with this, but seems like your motives are negatively charged and misaligned with what you want.

Seems your only reasons to go would be the fear of judgment.

Gut feeling, instant blurt, what do you want to do (stay or go)?

You could try drawing up a weighted decision matrix, which I've done and usually is either neutral or reaffirms when I am at crossroads like you are here.

Also, for what it's worth, I've seen quite a few times the women in my family make similar ultimatums and declarations and they end up dissipating into the wind.

I'd sit there thinking, "Oh shit. This is it..." And then days/weeks later, it's as if it never happened. So I'd consider taking your sister's proclamation with a grain of salt.

Although, don't be surprised if she brings up that past fight and then it disappears back into the void 😂.

Fuck This

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Is there other Family who your presence would mean a lot to? There are just some things you suck it up and show up to support people other than those at the center. Your sister is going to have here head and hands full at the event and you most likely won't have to interact with her. Use it as time to spend with your father, and have some cool experiences outside of the actual wedding. Schedule other things to do before and after ther wedding.

No one gives a Shit if you don't show up. It's not some big show of defiance, and makes you look like a butthurt baby. Instead make it a trip of value for you and your other family and the wedding is just like an errand you need to check off your list. Some of my best family trips were for weddings of distant cousins.

MarkA

Space Monkey
space monkey
How about pretend you want to go and are looking forward to it. Then near the time of the event a work emergency (lack of spare annual leave capacity) means unfortunately you have to work and can't attend but hey, no matter because you can arrange a small family gathering beforehand instead.

To stop your sister poisoning the family when you bail talk about all the funny (embarrassing) stories you have lined up for the wedding in the months building up to October. Then when she hears you can't go she will feel relief and not bother saying more.

If you want to be even more devious pick the family gathering on a day when you know she can't go.

>