Self-reflection on One-Sided Monogamy

TheEcho

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
In our case, men’s instinct to pursue many women checked by women’s instinct for monogamy and societal pressure.
That goes back to my initial reply, if the social norm was polygyny and pressures were on women to find the highest value guy and other women being present was a GOOD sign, then the counterbalance would likely be violent male competition, rather than the females themselves. Not sure this is even a hypothetical, it's what we see even nowadays. I haven't heard of harems launching a coup against the man in order to be monogamous

Last edited:

Adventurer

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
I've recently been in an African country where polygamy is legal and commonplace, here are the things I learnt from the locals who grew up in polygamous families (second hand reports only, I don't have a harem sadly enough):

-You have to be at least upper middle class because you have to provide for every wife and children

-It can be relatively drama free but you have to be good in bed to satisfy all your wives equally. If you give a gift to one of them, you must give a gift to all of them to prevent jealousy (see first point)

-Wives mostly don't care about the other wives children, if one of them dies, her children will be mistreated by the others

The country in question is poor but relatively peaceful by African standards, so there are some stable societies where polygamy exist. Seems like the exception rather than the norm though

TheEcho

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Interesting points, that is the general sense I have collected over time about how those dynamics go. My stance is less "what is optimal for civilization" and more of "optimal for individuals". No way would we reach this point of advancement with a polygyny based system.

Last edited:

Beck Bass

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Given monogamy is the less common mating arrangement across human history
As commonly known by all human beings, which possess the memories of all our ancestors and everyone else they lived with... lmao

In my short experience and from what I’ve read and seen from other seducers, it seems to make relationships volatile.
You need to spend higher energy keeping them alive and women are more likely to break them off out of minor grievances.
Also worth mentioning that you need to keep your frame not only with your girls but also society that will somewhat judge you.
Yeah, this.

I mean honestly for the sake of society, when it comes to mating (actually having and raising children), ideally people would settle down, but all the arguments for the "hunter" lifestyle and competition among women being overall good make sense.

In the end it's about you never losing your edge.
Men are the ones leading anyway in relationships, you shouldn't question too much you relationship with your girl, just make it work.
Like be honest and real with her, but don't necessarily ask for permission for everything you do, because that would make you essentially her child. You gotta strike a balance and take some risks, by yourself.

At least flirting with other women I think it's crucial, no matter how monogamous you are. You gotta make sure your girl knows you have other options, and also be sure you're with the right girl, at the same time, because if you're just settling DOWN, then you're gonna have problems as well (like letting yourself go and becoming "the one down", in a way, and then losing her).

In our more modern, "femininism" societies, polygamy is a big taboo and people will scoff at you for even thinking about it, but many men have children with more than one women, and many times still make those families (in the plural) work somehow. I, myself, don't wanna bother raising that much children, and wanna spend more time raising mine, so I guess having children with more than one woman is off, but it's up for you to decide. But I know most women don't care that much if you just have sex with other girls, in general they just worry about their children and your relationship (maybe mostly for company/emotional value, maybe financial, ofc also social value, not being the "single aunt", feeling undesirable in some way). So most girls will only care if you risk making another girl pregnant (which, I mean, sex is the main way this happens, and you can never make her 100% sure you will not impreg other chicks, unless you have like a vasectomy or something, which also might affect your value with her big time, if she wants children), or leaving/abandoning her (which, again, you might fall for another girl, even just simping, or flirting with one, so that one doesn't necessarily has to do with sex).

So in theory, if you can make sure your girl won't feel like you're gonna have children with other girls, and you relationship with her is rock solid (like unshakeable), she would not care at all if you banged other girls (ignoring the fact that if she catches you or strong evidence of you actually doing it, she probably will be hurt emotionally regardless, because of feelz). Of course there's the super religious girls that say they would never put up with that, and feel like you're a heretic for even thinking about it, but I think in general that's how most women operate, which I would say it's waaaaaay more practical than most men (at least how most men think about it).

EDIT: STDs are a factor as well, but condoms in general prevent these and babies, for the most part (also most serious STDs are mostly only transmitted via anal sex, which I assume most guys wouldn't be having with random girls)

But this is all my opinion, based on my experiences, of course.

Last edited:

Adventurer

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
What you would say is the % of middle upper class men in this country?

Are we talking top 10% men? Top 1%?
I did some more research and apparently, 30% of marriages are polygamous there. So there must also be some case of polygamous marriages in poor rural areas, that I wasn't aware of.

Something to note is that if the husband dies, his brothers can re-marry the widow(s). Considering the high mortality in Africa, that must count for quite a few of those marriages

>