Mark Manson's Paid Membership Subscription Review & Demo: Compared to Chase's...

Space

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Re: Mark Manson's Paid Membership Subscription Review & Demo: Compared to Chase'

Some context on the possible misunderstanding between me and some of you at the beginning of this topic. I've sent it to Hector's topic because... you see, this forum is quite overwhelming to me, having to link here, there, and everywhere. It's just crazy. Peace.

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
Re: Mark Manson's Paid Membership Subscription Review & Demo: Compared to Chase'

Space-

Space said:
TTo start with, something to consider is, none of those two guys resort to buying ads, not on Facebook, not on each other's sites, such as Chase did. So how they got so popular without buying ads? Easy. They live in the 21st century. I wrote about network effects here (4th paragraph).

I understand where you're coming from. However, there are a lot of assumptions here I think are not correct.

One, we were significantly more popular (traffic-wise) than Mark's site until he began doing the MSM blitz. Then suddenly he was getting traffic from CNN and other places, as well as all those juicy MSM high authority backlinks. Then he eclipsed our traffic and has stayed higher. I explored this option in 2014 when I saw how well Mark was doing with it... I talked to publications like The Atlantic, etc., about getting a column. But the kind of content I'd need to write to do it -- I'm sure I could double/triple GC in size and get us to 2MM or 3MM/month in visitors if I killed all the un-P.C. stuff and redid the entire site as a slightly-edgy-but-mostly-P.C. guide to getting dates and then did a couple columns on MSM sites. But then I'd be teaching watered down tech that would marginally help 250K men per month (or however many stick around out of the 3 million that would find us) instead of hard tech that GREATLY helps 75K men (or however many stick around out of the 1 million that find us) per month. I would much rather have a big impact on a somewhat smaller number of men than a shallow impact on a far larger number of men.

ROK beat us in traffic, primarily by generating boatloads of controversy and blowing up the Twittersphere with campaigns like "Fat Shaming Week" and Tut's "24 Signs She's a Slut" article. The "rape meetings" B.S. blew the site up bigger, but it also destroyed Roosh's business and demoralized him to the point where there was a noticeable decline in his "be the provocateur" strategy, and now ROK is closed down.

I have a number of organic traffic efforts we're working on and rolling out now. The site will be bigger. The forum will be bigger too. But we're going to do it without watering down the message to become MSM-approved so we can go on CNN like Mark Manson. And we're going to do it without calling women sluts or fatties or griping about feminists so much, so we can do it without instilling a bunch of negative, self-destructive thought patterns in men (not to mention bring the entire establishment out to crush us).

As for advertising, it has been a business goal for us for 10 years to get the point where we can advertise successfully at scale. It is not something we have "resorted" to -- it is something we have tested and planned for carefully for a decade.

You might be the sort of guy who says "XYZ unnamed cola brand/musician is better, because you can only find it through word-of-mouth and you'll never see it pay for advertising", but that doesn't stop Coca-Cola or U2 from doing way, way better in everything from reach, to audience size, to revenues, to (perhaps most important of all -- looking at you, Mystery Method, Charisma Arts, Love Systems, and most recently Return of Kings -- all those guys worked all the free/MSM media channels plenty) longevity. How many XYZ unnamed cola brands and musicians will still be in the game 20 years from now? U2 may have aged out but I bet they will still have a large fan base and make plenty of sales... and Coca-Cola ain't going anywhere.

The fact that we are finally able to advertise effectively is a very good thing. It opens up a lot of possibilities, not just for monetization but ways to get more eyeballs on pages, and on other things we're building (like a GC Facebook Group, the YouTube channel, etc. -- these are things you grow fastest when you are advertising at the same time you're building buzz by word-of-mouth).

So yeah, don't worry -- we'll do more organic stuff. I have plenty of projects in the works on these. I couldn't focus on traffic for a long time (haven't really focused on it since 2014... and have not seriously focused on it since 2012) because we needed to get One Date out, then once it was out there was (and still is) a lot of stuff to finish with building the sales and marketing funnel for that, and reconfiguring GC tech (like integrating all the software/logins, and getting this forum moved over to a new URL, updated, and tricked out).

We'll be doing a lot more marketing in the future, every way we can, without selling out to the MSM or shoveling controversy for the sake of making Twitter heads explode. Both those paths are faster/easier -- but they lead us somewhere different than where we ultimately want to go.

Chase

Blonde

Space Monkey
space monkey

Chase, in this post you perfectly sum up why I am still visiting this site daily. Your content is unique and going mainstream would mean this site loses its purpose totally. It's about quality not quantity. Thanks for sticking to these principles no matter what, I will always be a fan.

Ree

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid

Seppuku said:
Sub-Zero said:
Once you get more mainstream and known, what's gonna be next for men who do pick up and women ? How much more competition be? Will women be on a lot more game than before where it'll be hard to game them ? Will everyone be approaching women now? How are we supposed to compete against that ?

I know pua has been around for many years, but the stuff on this site is still light years ahead of all the dating advice I ever seen.

Once your stuff gets known I don't think there can anything to top it because your stuff makes too much sense, that's why I agree with everything you say about dating. No one makes sense with all their advice.
I have come to realize that there will always be a majority of guys whose mindsets are completely closed to pick-up and seduction. No matter how much GC becomes mainstream, this is still not for everyone. For these guys, old habits die hard. Finding "The One", putting her on the pedestal, chasing her like mad for months or years, hiding the banana big time, lavishing her with gifts, carrying the shopping bag, bombarding her with text messages, etc... Try talking them into the seduction mindset. They will always hide behind excuses, or beliefs such as "this only works with sluts", or "but the girls here are more conservative". I know it, because I tried.

I agree that GC explains the concepts very well, in a way that makes sense. But there will always be a majority of guys completely closed to this. If GC and other (good) seduction sites can reach out and improve the lives of the 10% guys open to it, that would already be quite a good achievement.

In sum, you don't have to worry much about competition any time soon.

Seppuku

this was a fear of mine in my eralier days,i was scared that if game became too mainstream people would know it and gamers would lose our advantage,now i concede game is for the elite few

Ree

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid

Blonde said:
Chase, in this post you perfectly sum up why I am still visiting this site daily. Your content is unique and going mainstream would mean this site loses its purpose totally. It's about quality not quantity. Thanks for sticking to these principles no matter what, I will always be a fan.
amen....Chase is the good guy who wins in the end of this movie,what a brilliant shining role model

Space

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid

Chase-

Chase said:
One, we were significantly more popular (traffic-wise) than Mark's site until he began doing the MSM blitz. Then suddenly he was getting traffic from CNN and other places, as well as all those juicy MSM high authority backlinks. Then he eclipsed our traffic and has stayed higher. I explored this option in 2014 when I saw how well Mark was doing with it... I talked to publications like The Atlantic, etc., about getting a column.
I'm not 100% well versed in the American media landscape, but I sense that what you referred to as mainstream media, CNN and The Atlantic are rather left biased in social issues such as should we give actionable dating advice to heterosexual men? No, we don't think it's a good idea at all, they would say. So why didn't you mention Fox News for example, speaking of a balanced left-right landscape?

But anyways, it was a long time ago anyone cared Mark Manson got a column on the CNN website (it's a TV channel, he didn't get a TV show), since then Facebook is very well into the process of killing any kind of news consumption on such websites outside of its walled garden.

Speaking of a column at a more mainstream site, have you considered Thought Catalog and Elite Daily? Mark had a column in the former, and sure, they are smaller, but I bet you both of them are more sex positive than CNN or The Atlantic. On a plus side, they are targeted at a young demographic.

What I would consider mainstream media nowadays worth considering is YouTube. PewDiePie might be just a gamer but he also features some good book reviews, has a good take on things in life and mainstream media is rightfully scared the shit of his might of 75 million subscribers. I think kids can go much worse for a role model than him. Or take Joe Rogan, speaking of YouTube.

I quote myself from here, regarding your YouTube presence, or lack of:

(Today I don't want to post more than this post, but let me briefly add here that I find it kind of strange that Chase, compared to his competition, wants to create products and write the blog mostly for the lowest common denominator, that is, traffic coming from the search engines. On the other hand, online business folks who have a strong following in any business, (including Roosh and Mark Manson), usually don't aim for the lowest common denominator, that is, traffic from the search engines, but improve their products and personal brands by their direct interaction with their audiences, which includes their forum, private forum, comments under their blog posts and YouTube videos (I'm mentioning forum, private forum, blog and YouTube because Chase has all these four), doing interviews back and forth with fellow YouTubers and bloggers which obvious tactics are obviously used by Mark Manson and Roosh as well. Speaking of how to build your following. And network effects. Chase could easily use this latter strategy as well, but for some reason, he doesn't seem to do so. I mean if I write Chase Amante into YouTube's search, this is what I get as most relevant hit. A 3-year old podcast (the age would be fine), but in so bad sound quality I literally was unable to listen to it, as a non-native speaker of English. I tried. And this is the most relevant hit for Chase Amante on YouTube.)

I don't see a reason why you couldn't go to be the guest on other YouTubers' shows. The same thing as far as I see Mark Mason and Roosh does to this day. Sure, you can't start at CNN, but I bet there are a few YouTubers out there you have something in common with, who have a modest size of audience yet unaware of you, and is willing to or indeed, happy to host you as a guest to his show.

Chase said:
You might be the sort of guy who says "XYZ unnamed cola brand/musician is better, because you can only find it through word-of-mouth and you'll never see it pay for advertising", but that doesn't stop Coca-Cola or U2 from doing way, way better in everything from reach, to audience size, to revenues, to (perhaps most important of all -- looking at you, Mystery Method, Charisma Arts, Love Systems, and most recently Return of Kings -- all those guys worked all the free/MSM media channels plenty) longevity. How many XYZ unnamed cola brands and musicians will still be in the game 20 years from now? U2 may have aged out but I bet they will still have a large fan base and make plenty of sales... and Coca-Cola ain't going anywhere.
Are we discussing Coca-Cola from the perspective of a Colombian or an Indian? Or just someone who cares a bit? U2 became U2 before the Internet age when labels selected a few artists to became superstars. Now it's the age of the Internet, the age of the long tail. We have relatively less famous artists than before the Internet, but in bigger quantities. Sure, now you can find something you like in every sub-genre imaginable.

Space

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid

Chase said:
SZ, look at all the mainstream bodybuilding programs out there. You've got Body-4-Life, 4 Hour Body, BodyBuilding.com, a bunch of other ones that are probably super well known with large brand recognition and lots of people familiar with them / household names even. You've got guys perpetually on the top of Amazon's best seller lists in the space like Michael Matthews with Bigger Leaner Stronger. And despite the level of mainstream awareness, how many guys are actually swole? Some areas have more jacked guys than others... but most guys still aren't all that ripped.
As this isn't the primary forum section related to health, diet, and exercise, I've elaborated on the above segment in more detail here.

>