Wealth  Making money online as a copywriter?

DoWhatWorks

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
I took a couple email copywriting courses and wanna start making some money online.

Any ideas besides Upwork, which is always a competition to the bottom in terms of price.

I make consistent money online (after a decade of trying/failing) so I'll try help as succinctly as possible.

You first need to get clear on who your target client is to make acquisition easier. E.g. you copywriting for yoga studios, realtors, accountants? Or if you're going generic any business what's the size? 1-3 employees or enterprise?

Once you're clear on target clients, there's only 3 real ways to get clients IME:

1. Cold Outreach
  • Cold email
  • Cold call
  • Cold messaging on a platform e.g. LinkedIn, Instagram, Forums etc.
  • Partnerships with complimentary businesses e.g. A design agency who can refer you clients for a kickback
[Pros: can get clients quickly, cons: is it's time consuming & stops working when you do]

2. Warm Outreach
  • Warm messaging on a platform e.g. Upwork, Fiverr or any other freelancer site
[Pros: can get clients even quicker than cold outreach, cons: same as option 1 & attracts lower ticket clients]

3. Inbound
  • Getting inbound leads through valuable content for target audience e.g. Youtube, Instagram & Forums
  • Getting referrals from existing clients or your network
[Pros can charge higher prices, compounds over time, cons it's got a slower work to results time]

If you're new and want quick wins, I recommend sucking it up, going for option 2 and raising your prices as you gain experience/reviews.

If you're new but happy to go on a longer learning curve for higher rates later do 1 and 3 at the same time.

Good luck x

Warped Mindless

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Here is a question: I’m looking to hire a copywriter to modify (possibly redo) an existing ad campaign and to write some copy for a new landing page… why you?

when you can answer the “why you” question in a way that really impresses potiental clients, you will have plenty of work.

Edit: I’m not actually looking to hire anyone but you get the point. I already have a person who does all my ad creatives.

Last edited:

Warped Mindless

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Follow up post; back when I was a professional copy writer what I did was write a cold email template to send to people in my niche that could use my services. Then hired people from the Philippines for $2 - $5 per hour to do nothing but send those emails to people in my niche.

I logged all responses and found that they all fit into just a few categories. Write a template for each category so my guys could respond. My goal was to use my guys to get potential clients booked on my calendar for a discovery call where I could then personally close them.

If you don’t have sales skills and are going after big enough jobs, hiring a commission only sales guys to handle all the above for you is a sound strategy.

edit: if you only do copywriting and not general marketing consulting or marketing work, make sure you partner with someone who does so you can Upsell happy clients for hefty commissions.

Last edited:
>