Importance of Collecting Experiences and Emotional Intelligence

TheWiseFool

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Hey guys,

Down below is a link to two videos. They are about emotional intelligence which is something I recommend all people should master and is something that Chase is unknowingly teaching guys here at Girls Chase. The second link contains the explanation of why building up a large collection of experiences, for the purpose of the site.. the large collection of experiences is meeting women, from a psychological and biological perspective. I believe Chase wrote an article about gut feelings called Go With Your Gut, but I wanted to add this here for anyone who wants an even deeper explanation as to why going with your gut / instinct can be very beneficial when it comes to making decisions, ASSUMING you have a decent to large amount of experience in whatever task or situation that demands you to make a decision or action. I will also post below my own notes regarding the videos. I HIGHLY recommend watching both, the information you will learn is ridiculously beneficial to your overall quality of life, specifically taking control of it. Watching this video has helped reveal to me why I felt the way I was when I was depressed as well as other explaining to me why I am so different now when compared to how I was just a few months ago.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTItzKrNX68
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W4kWPdcdUk

My Notes:
Emotional Intelligence (EI)
1. Self-Awareness. Becoming aware of what you are feeling. Whenever we make decision, the emotional part of our brain, the basal ganglia, observes, records, and organizes our experiences into "what worked in the past and what didn't work?" Unfortunately, the basal ganglia cannot speak to us since it has no connection to the verbal cortex. To overcome this, the basal ganglia communicates to us through feelings. The "gut" or instinctual feeling we get when making decisions (especially for decisions that affect our quality of life) is the basal ganglia communicating to us what choice has been most beneficial to us in the past. Part of self-awareness is being able to make ourselves aware of these gut feelings.

2. Managing negative emotions. You need to build up a habit of analyzing your decisions, as in thinking before you act in the sense that you need to look at what you're doing and ask yourself, "How am I going to feel in the future? How am I going to feel in the short term vs in the long run?" Your motivation depends on this. The marshmallow experiment/case study: "Scientists took 4 year olds and placed them into this situation: Here's a marshmallow. You can eat it now or wait and get another one." Some children waited while others gave up and ate the marshmallow. The two types of children were placed into two separate groups and tracked later on in life (towards the end of high school). It was found that the kids who waited for the marshmallow had better social lives and academic lives than the children who couldn't wait for the second marshmallow.

Breakdown: Actions that are made out of impulsiveness are actions of the amygdala. When the amygdala is activated, our minds are focused on what is bothering us. If you are focusing on what bothers you, much more of your working memory, human's version of RAM, is devoted to whatever is bothering you; if your mind is preoccupied by distressing emotions chronically, for extended periods of time, your cognitive abilities shrink, you use less brain power, your ability to do work, complete tasks, and excel in areas outside of whatever your brain is preoccupied with is SEVERELY limited. For me, I was unable to handle schoolwork as a result of constantly being in a state of anxiety due to this lingering and all encompassing feeling of a lack of control of my life.
A lower amount of working memory explains why the brains of depressed people are not as active as someone who is happy or an optimist. Their ability to do work is severely limited because a large part of their available brain power is devoted to a problem that they cannot solve. Continued rumination over the problem can cause a rewiring of the brain, as in the habit or obsession over the problem creates a negative feedback loop that affects other areas of the individuals life.

INFORMATION NEEDED FROM VIDEO: Foregoing instant, quick, and lesser forms of gratification/rewards in exchange for delayed, but higher forms of gratification/rewards is the inhibition of the right prefrontal cortex. Constantly choosing to inhibit/forego the former of the two types of gratification will create a habit aka the ability to increase cognitive capacity, since a large, if not all, of an individual's working memory is devoted to solving a problem at hand.

Final Thoughts: The most important thing you can take from this is that you need a balance. Balance is key. Too much or too little of something is a bad thing. Too much anxiety, too much ruminating, or too much stress can dampen our overall effectiveness as individual's through the creation of negative feedback loops. Stress, by no means, is a bad thing. Stress is a good thing and should certainly not be avoided because stress helps us learn and grow as human beings. However, if one lacks the knowledge or ability to MANAGE stress properly, then one can expect to see problems, which will spiral out of control if they are not helped right away. Connecting these ideas to medicine, preventative medicine is much more effective than reactive medicine. Creating systems of prevention to properly managing negative emotions is a good thing. Such things that people do are breathing exercises, yoga, meditation, anything involving creativity, and mastering/gaining control of nonverbal fundamentals are ways to manage negative emotions. NLP is certainly a preventative system.

Thank you for reading and I hope there is new information here.

Take care,
- The Wise Fool

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
TWF-

Good stuff. Although, worth pointing out -

TheWiseFool said:
and is something that Chase is unknowingly teaching guys here at Girls Chase.

I've been reading books and research on emotional intelligence, reference points, gut-level decision-forming, and all sorts of things, since I was in middle school... there's a reason I harp on these points so much ;)

Chase

TheWiseFool

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Bahaha, shoot. I was hoping you'd never find this post! I read this the other day and came to that part thinking, "Wrong choice of wording bud..." Unfortunately, the edit button disappeared or one that i'm aware of, so the post remained the same. Apologies! I do not apologize, but thank you for teaching people that come here on the importance of being in control of our emotions!
- The Wise Fool

Light

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
This is great stuff!

Thank you for sharing.

>