Guest Count?

mist

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Is it just me or is the Guest like waayyyy high as of late

Is this normal?

I remember the "New Gym affect" earlier in the year when everyone's new years resolution is to get ripped, but goddamn there's like 58 lurkers right now and there were more not too long ago

well anyway

hi guys hope you're here in good faith

(what are the chances one of y'all angry exes is on here haha)

Warped Mindless

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
I don’t know about this forum but when I was an admin on Richards/Gamblers forum I looked into the whole “guest count” thing and the numbers were complete BS lol. It wasn’t because we were trying to make the forum appear more popular, the software just sucked and didn’t count correctly.

mist

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
I don’t know about this forum but when I was an admin on Richards/Gamblers forum I looked into the whole “guest count” thing and the numbers were complete BS lol. It wasn’t because we were trying to make the forum appear more popular, the software just sucked and didn’t count correctly.
lowkey prefer this being niche so I hope so ngl

Teevster

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Tons of bots....

Lobo

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
I checked and a good chunk(I'm guessing 20-30%) are web crawlers meant to analyze the content on the website as well as the site infrastructure. Some are from Google, but interestingly, the majority are from search tool companies. These tool crawlers could be banned through the robots.txt file if desired without any consequences to the website's traffic(although if you were using the tool, Semrush, for example, you would no longer be able to see data from this website on Semrush)

Teevster

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
I checked and a good chunk(I'm guessing 20-30%) are web crawlers meant to analyze the content on the website as well as the site infrastructure. Some are from Google, but interestingly, the majority are from search tool companies. These tool crawlers could be banned through the robots.txt file if desired without any consequences to the website's traffic(although if you were using the tool, Semrush, for example, you would no longer be able to see data from this website on Semrush)

@Chase

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
I'm reasonably sure bots do not count toward the "who's online" statistics. Xenforo seems to just count actual human visitors in its "guest" count.

You can see the different tabs for "members", "guests", "robots", etc.:

We have statistics for members online and guests online... but not a "robots online" statistic.

Almost 2/3 of the site's traffic is from search engines. These are people on Google or wherever typing in whatever they're looking for and seeing a thread from Skilled Seducer in the results and clicking on it. That's why if you look at what guests are viewing you'll see a bunch of random old posts, like these ones from 2013:

Obviously people were searching for things like "what do I do on a date where my date doesn't speak English", "advice for thin hair", and "attached woman giving mixed signals" and found these posts.

Most search traffic is just passersby who will never engage with the forum. But every now and then one of them clicks around a bunch, reads a bunch, and registers, I assume. I actually don't know how good the search --> registration funnel is... might be interesting to know how the different guys on here now found the forum. Did most of them come via GC (I assume), or did some come via search, or linked here other ways?

But yeah, it's almost 2-to-1 search vs. direct traffic here.

I assume some guests are also registered members viewing the forum without being logged in. I do that sometimes... don't want to get sucked into responding to threads because I've got a bunch to do (I have some threads on here now that I started, with really good responses, that I need to respond to, but it'll take time to respond and I've got loads to get done), but want to check up on the place and make sure nothing crazy is going on.

As for "actually online, right now, this moment" I think Xenforo counts with a definite lag. I have observed in Xenforo forums where I've logged out as one user, then viewed the "online now" statistics and my logged out user is still counted as being online.

Google Analytics is telling me we have 5 active users in the last 5 minutes... e.g., 5 users in the last 5 minutes have clicked a new link / opened a new page. So maybe we have 10-15 total online, if you're including guys just reading one longer thread that takes >5 minutes to read through. But Xenforo's statistics claim we have 59 online right now; 2 members (myself and @Devilicious) + 57 guests.

My guess would be Xenforo's counting guests online over the past 30 minutes or something like that, rather than over the last 5 minutes, like Google Analytics' real time activity monitor is. I don't know the exact details though.

Anyway, not counting bots, we're getting about 530 visitors per day... so 50+ online at once all day long is probably way excessive, especially at non-peak hours.

It's nothing new though. This forum has been telling me "50+ people online" as long as I can remember.

We could do that... I don't think it would really make much of a difference to anything though. They're not using up resources or anything, and I don't much care if they're listing the site in etc. SEM Rush, SEO Moz, or the others.

Chase

mist

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Well I guess we can put the angry exes theory to rest... just for now.

Admittedly I was never around when game was at the center of mens minds so what guest counts and user numbers looked like then would explode my mind.

guess we're still underground

Most search traffic is just passersby who will never engage with the forum. But every now and then one of them clicks around a bunch, reads a bunch, and registers, I assume. I actually don't know how good the search --> registration funnel is... might be interesting to know how the different guys on here now found the forum. Did most of them come via GC (I assume), or did some come via search, or linked here other ways?

This is interesting. Slight detour, but I registered after reading GC articles and lurking for awhile on the forum.

I believe my first articles were on friend zone and shedding red pill. Eyeopening shiz.It was only after I joined the forum that I decided getting products was next in line.

As of recent articles don't really reference the forum as directly, but I remember references to it be integral to my initial decision to register, then buy products.

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
Interesting on the GC --> forum --> product journey, @mist.

I've actually been referencing the forum often in recent articles. Threads here have inspired or partly inspired a lot of current content.

Hard to say if it's had an effect on user registration or participation by existing members.

Warped Mindless

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Interesting on the GC --> forum --> product journey, @mist.

I've actually been referencing the forum often in recent articles. Threads here have inspired or partly inspired a lot of current content.

Hard to say if it's had an effect on user registration or participation by existing members.
Maybe a bit off topic but have you considered combining some articles into mini books and throwing them on Amazon kindle for .99 cents each and using them as a form of lead generation?

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
Maybe a bit off topic but have you considered combining some articles into mini books and throwing them on Amazon kindle for .99 cents each and using them as a form of lead generation?

Yeah, we did that with my texting articles years ago. It's the #1 text-a-girl guide on Amazon:

I actually had a whole series of these planned, 10 books total. Worked with a guy back in the day who made his money being an Amazon author. He picked a dry topic with lots of interest but no stand-out series, read all the existing books on it, and wrote his own, and became the best-selling author in the field. Then catapulted it into a high-ranking position in the company I worked for then... despite his only experience in the field being the 10 books he'd written, which he'd learned how to write by reading the other books in the space... lol. His thing was, "You don't make that much with your first book, but once you've got 10 of them all feeding into each other, you can do pretty well." That said, Amazon was smaller then, and much more book-focused.

Anyway, book #2 on asking girls out has been at about 85% complete for something like 4 years now.

It's just one of these projects where it's not really that much work to complete but I'm never quite able to bring myself around to do it.

Tried having a ghostwriter go through and organize the chapters and create an intro / outro but it wasn't how I'd write it and wasn't happy just running with it as-is. Still needs a lot of work to connect the chapters properly and make it flow & not be repetitive.

It actually did work as a lead generator in its day. Probably about 7-8% of our buyers when polled said they first found us through the book.

Only does about 25% of the sales these days it did at its peak though. That's another disincentive to get the books finished... if I finished 3 more that'd probably just get us back to what we were doing with this one in its earlier days :confused:

Still, remains on my list to do... I think I still have it on my to-do list this year: "finish 4 more of the books & get them published."

Maybe after we get Impulse Texting & Match Bringer launched, and deploy the new One Date funnel, I'll have a little time to do the books.

I should be more disciplined... just block out a day and finish one book. Then block out a day and finish another. Not that much work, just something I'm not really excited to do 🤷‍♂️

Chase

>