Girl sends me gifts every year, but ignores me at the same time...

killerman

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
This situation is really confusing the hell out of me. There's this girl who I haven't seen for 4 years. And every year she sends me a birthday present but every time I ask her when she's free she either too busy or just ignores me! This is honestly confusing the crap out of me. This girl sends me chocolates and gifts every year, birthday cards but then totally ghosts me or comes up with an excuse as to why she can't meet up. It doesn't even make sense. Why would anyone do this?

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
@killerman,

Have you tried calling her / Facetiming her / having some kind of communication somewhere between "we don't talk at all but she sends me a yearly gift" and "let's hang out"?

There's a book called Never Eat Alone I read ages ago by Keith Ferrazzi about how to be a "super connector" who has this enormous network of people... it's basically a list of techniques for managing/maintaining this huge contacts list. IIRC sending little gifts on a recurring basis is one of the techniques. You just load your calendar up with events for all these people you want to keep in your network and send them stuff, that way you never fully fall off their radars and they remain in your network.

Anyway, she could be doing that... no need to connect with you right now, but wants to maintain you as a contact, so you get the annual gift for "contact maintenance"... or maybe it's something else.

Only way to get more intel is to talk to her, and if she won't meet up, it's going to have to be over the phone / audio messages / video chat / video messages.

Chase

killerman

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
@killerman,

Have you tried calling her / Facetiming her / having some kind of communication somewhere between "we don't talk at all but she sends me a yearly gift" and "let's hang out"?

There's a book called Never Eat Alone I read ages ago by Keith Ferrazzi about how to be a "super connector" who has this enormous network of people... it's basically a list of techniques for managing/maintaining this huge contacts list. IIRC sending little gifts on a recurring basis is one of the techniques. You just load your calendar up with events for all these people you want to keep in your network and send them stuff, that way you never fully fall off their radars and they remain in your network.

Anyway, she could be doing that... no need to connect with you right now, but wants to maintain you as a contact, so you get the annual gift for "contact maintenance"... or maybe it's something else.

Only way to get more intel is to talk to her, and if she won't meet up, it's going to have to be over the phone / audio messages / video chat / video messages.

Chase
Why would she want to maintain contact though?

DarkKnight

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Yep, another of them people managers I mentioned in the marriage tread.

You are being benched, like the mega elixers you stock up in Final Fantasy convinced you will need to use them all so you better save them, but at the end of the game never end up using.

For fun, use what Chase recommends, I too am curious for the results

>