Dealing with an annoying but good CEO

Dirty dagger

Space Monkey
space monkey
I'm graduating and thinking what to do. I have been working on a software company for some years now. We have a few people working there: me, the CEO, son of the CEO and couple other guys.

First of all I'm constantly thinking about leaving my job because of our CEO. However, I don't want to leave because my job has many perks. I'll get to travel on business trips and I get to deal with customers. These seem like perks that are rarely available for software engineers. Doing these things, I figure, will help me grow and learn and get better jobs in the future.

The CEO is really trying to help me learn and I respect that. Now the problem is that I often feel like a broken mess after he has been "teaching" me for a day. Sometimes he comes and starts working over my shoulder. I find that sometimes he gives me very valuable advice and I learn a lot. Most often though he repeats the same speeches over and over again. In end of the day I notice that he has messed up my self-esteem.

When I started working for this company I was socially really bad. I have been doing pickup for over half a year now and my confidence has boosted a lot. I have been labeled as a verbally retarded person even though I think that I'm more advanced than half of our company is by now. I'm doing some mistakes but I think they are just pointed out a lot more than mistakes of my coworkers.

He doesn't know that I sleep with women now and he probably thinks that I'm a virgin nerd. From time to time he pops up a girlfriend topic. I always show amazing knowledge about women. I'm not ready to take a girlfriend even though I sleep with women and could take women (one is particularly amazing, too) as a girlfriend. I don't think that he can imagine that my life is so amazing and I think that he would respect me so much if I could tell him.

Maybe he sees the potential that I have. We don't have many people that can work with customers and maybe he is trying to prepare me for the job. Also, maybe he thinks that his methods are working because I have become socially better.

His son works in his company, too. Me and his son have the same age and the same educational situation now. I don't see this as a cause but maybe he could be showing his annoyance. I have improved socially but his son is still at the same level that I was before.

He is socially skilled but does things that are impossible to handle with every day. Trying to do any productive work with him is difficult. He:
  • Never loses an argument nicely and always needs to win. I can either let him win or waste the whole day.
  • He needs to speak every conversation to the end until every rock is turned.
  • Makes the same speeches about my verbal skills over and over again.
  • He disrespects my verbal skills publicly.
  • He expects to instantly get perfect answers from me and I can't always perform up to his standards.

I have been trying to figure out how to solve this problem with the following article:
https://www.girlschase.com/content/how-d ... aggression

Often he is really honest and not very passive-aggressive. However, what he is doing overall feels sneaky. How can I tell him that he is killing my self-esteem and still be nonchalant?

trashKENNUT

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Dirty dagger,

Dirty dagger said:
Often he is really honest and not very passive-aggressive. However, what he is doing overall feels sneaky. How can I tell him that he is killing my self-esteem and still be nonchalant?

Sometimes you have to be direct and say "yea yea" and then give a nonchalant face while also not judging them. Important, i haven't read your post enough to actually understand it but i have done it to my bosses and also people... before and they have a healthy respect for me.

the problem with being a good social man, when your boss starts to feel that he/she is intimidated. You have to be careful of that, too, and make up to them. :)

Zac

>