Alternatives to JADE

dark hawk

Space Monkey
space monkey
JADE(Justify, Argue, Defend, Explain) are the common go to responses of most people when anybody blames, criticizes, find faults them, although this is a very low level response most people resort to it simply because it is convenient and easy to do. Using JADE simply means you are reacting to their frame, you are trying to convince them that you are right...you have ceded the frame to them.
Her: how could you say that joke..it wasn't funny
( girl telling guy that)
Guy: I thought that was pretty funny. (Although this is a good reply he is still reacting to her frame by trying to justify or a better response, look at her in the eye and simply shrug your shoulder)
Guy1: Federer is the best tennis player in the world( Not wrong, it's his opinion)
Guy 2: No dude I'm pretty sure it's Djokovic (again an opinion)
With arguments involving opinions, frankly best to steer clear of them but with arguments involving hard facts let the other person know they are wrong while allowing them to save face.
Girl: You said you would be here by 2:00 pm.( What she says is true, if you ignore her, you come off looking like a dick)
Guy: I know what I said, then the situation changed and held me up( Trying to defend and justify why he is right in what he did, better response accept responsibility by saying I'm sorry for being late..be careful, this response loses its potency every time you use it)

Boss: How could you fuck up this simple thing?
Guy: I'm new to this and am still figuring out the ropes
(valid excuse, better response may have been I'm new to this and maybe next time you can show how to do it......excuse + taking responsibility)
what do you guys think?
How would you people respond, so that you are not using JADE and do you have more examples??

SigmaFox

Rookie
Rookie
It's about being open minded and humble but without comprosing your dignity. First of all I'd show them I comprehend (or at least I'm doing my best to try to) them, second, if I made a mistake, admit it, but showing that I'll do what's necessary to fix them, and because of that I'm not less human. And last, but not least, do it with an attitude of "I want to learn from you because learning is an important path without ending and I will improve, but despite all my flaws I'm still a human with dignity and so are you" For example: In the best tennis player case, I will try to comprehend why he thinks so, specially what does he admire about him, but then calmy show your point of view and since you showed openess to his/her opinion, that person is more likely to reciprocitate and achieve a common ground.

>