Body Transformation: My Success Story

Body Transformation: My Success Story

Postby Motiv » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:50 am

Greetings, gents—

As a Christmas present to myself, I decided to go ahead and take the plunge of purchasing an internet-based workout program: Six Pack Shortcuts. I know there are a lot naysayers against MCF (Mike Chang Fitness), but honestly, I figured it couldn't hurt to at least try it with the 60 day money-back guarantee.

I grew up severely overweight since high school, and I'm a complete noob in physical fitness: never received a live personal training session or ever lifted weights before in my life. I put my all into this program, and these are the results I've achieved so far after three months. I've never felt better, and as far as I'm concerened, this is just the beginning: not slowing down until I have that Daniel Craig physique—curious to observe women's reactions this summer at the pool…

ImageImage

Here's the cool part: MCF called me the day I emailed these pictures and asked for my consent to be one of their featured success stories!

Since GC is all about self-improvement for men, I thought it would be worth sharing this with you guys in the hopes it will inspire. Learning to work out and making it a serious priority has contributed greatly to my leading a happier life: no matter how tough anything else gets, I know I will always have my health.

It's all about sticking to process and never giving up—just like seduction.

Cheers!
-M

P.S. The last girl I slept would not stop raving about my "beautiful body" and ran her hands along my abs every chance she could get. This is a huge asset if you want to be the lover in women's lives.
She enters your world… not the other way around.
Women talk, men do. Which one are you?
Motiv

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid

Re: Body Transformation: My Success Story

Postby Jaimie Richards » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:02 am

Hello M,

Seriously some awesome work you've done, congratulations! Can you tell us something more about the course - for example, why did you choose this one, how much work do you put in every day, what are pros and cons of that system? Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Jaimie

P.S. As it's my first post here - and first post on any online forum for at least a decade - I'd like to just say hello to other forum members :)
Jaimie Richards

Space Monkey
Space Monkey

Postby Motiv » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:50 pm

Welcome aboard, Jamie. Thank you!

I should probably preface that I am in no way officially affiliated with MCF. I suppose that could soon change depending on exactly how impressed they are with my results. I want Chase and all the forum admin to know that this is not any attempt at solicitation. I'm just a self-improvement oriented guy who's managed to pull off something he's dreamed all his life. I'm not going to lie: I did do this in most part to raise my sexual marketplace value—something we call SMV around here. I honestly believe that wanting to be sexy is tantamount to wanting to be healthy: if you want to be sexy, you have be healthy first.

I chose this course really because Mike Chang himself seems like a totally down to earth guy who simply decided to take control of his fitness one day—much like Chase and seduction. Since the course has a 60-day money back guarantee, I figured I had nothing to lose in the event I was not able to get good enough results within that period of time—I actually noticed significant improvements after just the first week.

I took every aspect of this program as seriously as possible. The workouts themselves only take anywhere from thirty minutes to one hour a day, six days a week, and I made darn sure to stick with that. It is also up to you to figure out weight amounts that are right for you: always err on the lighter side until you are confident in your form. From there, just be patient with increasing the amount gradually and don't let ego get in the way—that's usually how injuries happen. I also made the commitment to once and for all fix my diet (for which they also give great advice) and maintain a healthy sleep schedule (no less than seven hours a night, preferably eight—your body actually performs the most muscle recovery/growth during adequate, quality sleep). It's a holistic lifestyle adjustment.

The only cons I would point out have to do with the quality of the filming: quite often the camera angling is so bad that you can't actually see what you need to fully understand the form of the exercises, but at that point it's easy enough to just search other people's free videos and fill in the gaps. There are also numerous discrepancies between what they say in some of the videos versus what they write in the workout sheet: again, it's easy enough to use your gut and do what works best for you. We have a saying in fitness: the only bad workout is the one that didn't happen.

All in all, I think the program ties enough information together into one neat package—just enough to set anyone on the right track.

-M
Motiv

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid

Postby Jaimie Richards » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:09 pm

Thanks for the answer, it sounds really promising - I'll have to check it out in details and hopefully start it just after Easter.

Two quick things, just for clarification:
1. Please tell me if I figure it out correctly - these exercises help you both lose weight and develop muscle, but do they include running? If not, is it advised to do these exact sets of exercises and also start running?
2. You mentioned diet. Do you use some kind of supplementation? Or do you just follow normal diet you would have if you didn't start exercising (of course with some tweaks like no junk food)?

Take care,
Jaimie
Jaimie Richards

Space Monkey
Space Monkey

Postby Motiv » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:37 pm

Yes, these exercises help you do both. There is no running (not that it wouldn't help). The gist of it is compound movement resistance training with short rest times, a.k.a. interval training. For example, do ten reps of squats (a compound movement that works multiple muscle groups all at once) immediately followed by ten reps of dead lifts (another compound movement). Rest ninety seconds. Do that another three times, four times, etc. Pick a weight to where you can barely complete the last rep of each exercise. Short rest times is key to adding a cardiovascular element—your heart rate stays high during the entire workout. By the end of each workout, your metabolism goes into overdrive as your body has to burn fat in order to repair all that torn muscle. Muscle itself raises your metabolism because it burns extra calories just for being there.

No supplements are required: just plain and simple healthy foods—you'll actually end up needing to eat a rather lot, but it's clean eating. Personally, I take a multivitamin pill every morning along with a fish oil pill—that's it.
Motiv

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid

Postby Jaimie Richards » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:50 am

That's what I wanted to hear, thanks man! Losing weight and bodybuilding while being able to have a good meal - that's what I've been looking for.

Keep the good work, can't wait to see your future results!

All the best,
J.
Jaimie Richards

Space Monkey
Space Monkey

Postby Lotus » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:52 pm

I just want to second Mischief on this. Couple years back I spent time doing p90x version one and their lifting exercises are the same way. A lot of exercises packed into a shorter time period works as cardio and then of course you body is burning a lot of calories in rest throughout the week trying to heal muscle.

If you decide to run a lot as well you will probably find yourself having hard time putting on mass.
"Focus on the solution not the problem." Zedd
Lotus

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man

Postby Motiv » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:25 pm

Running can be a catch 22 if you're aiming to burn fat but also build muscle at the same time. My secret has been to:

A) Limit running to 20 minutes maximum (in addition to your regular workout). As long as you regularly consume enough clean calories, running does help you lean down significantly faster without cutting into you muscle growth by much. My priority with this program was to get lean and reveal my six pack abs as soon as possible, so it didn't bother me if my arms/chest took a little longer to build.

B) Use the same interval style as resistance training, i.e. regularly alternate running with walking—that encourages your body to burn fat instead of only sugar, which actually makes you feel euphoric as opposed to the near-death experience that causes most people to give up.

C) Use running as a quick fix for any sudden binging. You won't have to worry about burning muscle if you recently ate—just wait an hour so you don't get cramps.

-M
Motiv

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid

Postby Rage » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:53 pm

Hey congrats on the transformation Mischief looks great !!

Six pack shortcuts too, hahaha Mike Chang spams the living hell out of fitness youtube videos with his advertisements. And other fitness personalities mock him for knowing little about fitness or nutrition and being kind of a snake oil salesman with little practical information.

But his program worked for you and worked really well :) ... I think it goes to show that even if it's questionable if a program is ideal or not, work put in definitely surpasses the program itself.

Guy putting work into a mediocre program > Guy putting mediocre work into one of the best programs out there.

Keep at it brother ;)

-Gem
"Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine." - Tesla
Rage

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid

Postby Jaimie Richards » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:53 am

Great info on running, thanks for advice! One clarification question: you alternate running and walking, so in this 20min. session you 1 min. run, 1min. walk, repeat or 1 day you run, 1 day you go for a walk, or something else?

J.
Jaimie Richards

Space Monkey
Space Monkey

Postby NarrowJ » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:19 am

Jaimie,

Jaimie Richards wrote:Great info on running, thanks for advice! One clarification question: you alternate running and walking, so in this 20min. session you 1 min. run, 1min. walk, repeat or 1 day you run, 1 day you go for a walk, or something else?

J.

What he is talking about is called High-intensity interval training, or HIIT. I do a 10 minute "blast" with every workout. Run at 7 miles per hour for 1 minute, then a brisk walk at about 3.7-4 miles per hour for 30 seconds, then repeat.

Also I have to add regarding diet: it is the most important thing by far. And you'd be surprised how easy it is to eat well cheaply if you don't think you need all the expensive supplements and organic stuff. I eat a diet of mostly chicken, some fish, barely any red meat, quite a lot of fresh vegetables (uncooked when possible, and a small amount of things like fruits and nuts. Before, I was spending about $800 per month on food because I was eating at restaurants (even fast food can become quite expensive) a lot and when I switched to forcing myself to buy everything from the store and prepare it myself, it cut that number in half ($400). So over the course of two years I've not only ate much healthier and got those six-pack abs, but I also have saved myself roughly $10,000 (400x12monthsx2years) in the process. :)

J.J.
You say no to ratchet pussy; NarrowJ can't.
NarrowJ

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Postby Motiv » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:39 pm

Thanks for helping clarify, J.J.

NarrowJ wrote:Jaimie,

Jaimie Richards wrote:Great info on running, thanks for advice! One clarification question: you alternate running and walking, so in this 20min. session you 1 min. run, 1min. walk, repeat or 1 day you run, 1 day you go for a walk, or something else?

J.

What he is talking about is called High-intensity interval training, or HIIT. I do a 10 minute "blast" with every workout. Run at 7 miles per hour for 1 minute, then a brisk walk at about 3.7-4 miles per hour for 30 seconds, then repeat.

Also I have to add regarding diet: it is the most important thing by far. And you'd be surprised how easy it is to eat well cheaply if you don't think you need all the expensive supplements and organic stuff. I eat a diet of mostly chicken, some fish, barely any red meat, quite a lot of fresh vegetables (uncooked when possible, and a small amount of things like fruits and nuts. Before, I was spending about $800 per month on food because I was eating at restaurants (even fast food can become quite expensive) a lot and when I switched to forcing myself to buy everything from the store and prepare it myself, it cut that number in half ($400). So over the course of two years I've not only ate much healthier and got those six-pack abs, but I also have saved myself roughly $10,000 (400x12monthsx2years) in the process. :)

J.J.

Exactly. I shouldn't have left out the "high intensity" component. That's a key part of what makes it so doable for even the busiest people: short but very effective.

Ditto on the diet—all true.

@Gem
Thanks! Coming from someone with your physique, that means a lot! Insofar as the quality of this program versus others goes, I'm really not equipped to argue one way or the other. For all we know, I could have achieved these results (or better) doing any number of other programs.

I will say that I think having a lifetime of experience pushing physical limitations in violin practice gave me the mentality to see this through. You fairly quickly find your hard limit for a given exercise, remember clearly where that is, and then strive with passion and endurance to push that limit just a little further each time. Stick to process (workout format and schedule) and take pleasure in every inch of the journey—each minutia of progress matters.

-M

P.S. Sometimes, I will hit an exercise that I literally cannot do or only barely perform, i.e. chin-ups. To this day, I can only do four per set to exhaustion, but when I started this program three months ago, I could not even do one. I used a lat pull down to work my way up with weight below my body weight. My point is, even if a workout called for 10 wide grip chin-ups, I didn't let that stop me from finding a way to do what works best for my own development.
Motiv

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid

Postby Motiv » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:07 pm

DrexelScott wrote:That's amazing man, great work.

I'm curious though, how did your arms and chest get sculpted from a six-pack ab program or were you using it in conjunction with a weightlifting routine?

Thanks, Drexel!

The program I used develops abs mostly through compound movement training—the same movements that sculpt arms, chest, and everything else.

For example, in order to execute a standing heavy barbell curl (where five reps reaches exhaustion) with good form (no shoulder joint movement or back bending) and no back support (not using a wall to steady yourself), you'll have no choice but to tighten your abs (and other core muscles around the lower back) to the maximum in order to get that sucker up. Your abs will be engaged in some way in nearly every exercise of every workout.

Gem and J.J. might be able to add addition or better information, too.

-M
Motiv

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid

Postby Ross » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:13 pm

As long as you workout hard with progressive overload, you're going to make a change :).

Well done Mischief.
Worrying is a lot like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do - but it doesn't get you anywhere.
Ross

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Postby RDawg » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:08 pm

Awesome stuff Mischief, truly inspiring for many people! :)

Rdawg
RDawg

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Postby killerman » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:29 am

Great work man, you've done an amazing job. One question though, how often do you work on your abs and what does the workout consist of?
killerman

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid

Postby Motiv » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:12 am

Ross wrote:As long as you workout hard with progressive overload, you're going to make a change :).

Bingo! The rest is, as NarrowJ put it, all in the diet (and sleep)—can never go wrong with chicken breast and fresh veggies. There are a million and one ways to grill super tasty chicken breast—do it on my Foreman grill every week. :)

Seasoning and low-calorie marinades are your best friends!

@ Ross and RDawg

I appreciate your support—many thanks guys!

@ killerman

Technically, I work on my abs a little with every exercise—compound movements do that. This program only consists of about 3-4 minutes per day of pure abs-only work—always at the very end.

If the forum administrators don't mind, here is a link to an extra ab workout I started doing in addition to my regular SPS workout—I just wanted faster results ;-) … and it only takes four minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQYFr697pYg
Motiv

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid

Postby Big Daddy » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:42 pm

I'm a little bit late for this post - it was only brought to my attention after J.J. mentioned it in an article - but what a nice transformation!

What's you before/after weight and measurements? And what's your height? :)
Big Daddy

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid

Postby Motiv » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:18 pm

Big Daddy wrote:I'm a little bit late for this post - it was only brought to my attention after J.J. mentioned it in an article - but what a nice transformation!

What's you before/after weight and measurements? And what's your height? :)

Hey Big Daddy (and everyone else!)—

I am pretty stoked as well as humbled that I was the inspiration for a GC article! I am genuinely honored to be able to contribute real value to this forum.

I weighed in at around 185 pounds on Christmas Eve, 2014 (the date of my before picture). Currently, I have leveled off at around 170 pounds. I know I have lost at least two inches around my waist, as immediately washed and machine-dried 32" jeans can now be pulled quite a distance from my abdomen—new belts are all that keep my trousers up these days, haha.

As for other measurements (chest, arms, etc.), I am honestly not quite sure how to take those.

I've included an updated shot, taken right after an intense leg workout, which I think shows even greater progress than before (shaving my chest and mid-section for the first time in my life helps illustrate too!). Based on comparing my most recent picture with those online, I'm estimating my body fat percentage to be right around 9-10%. I am around 5'11" tall.

One most important point of emphasis: low body fat percentage is critical to achieving the chiseled look. My muscles are not necessarily that big, but they look that way due to being lean. According to the theory I've learned through the program, afterburn training achieves the lean effect by breaking down multiple muscle groups in every workout (lots of compound lifting with very short rest times), which then drives up your metabolism as your body races to recover all that muscle around your entire body at once. That stubborn belly fat once and for all gets burned away!

Cheers!

-M

P.S. Now you all get to see what I really look like—let the critique flow forth! If the authors aren't afraid to show their faces, then why should I? I think it's all part of finally accepting myself as a true sigma.

REDACTED
Motiv

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid

Postby Motiv » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:34 am

Pardon the apparent narcissism, but I thought it might be worth something to post additional progress pictures for the purpose of illustration.

REDACTED

I took this picture today, after two days of intense arms and chest workouts. While my chest and arms are noticeably more pumped, my belly area is also less lean than the last picture (taken about one week ago).

Back when my abs were super ripped, I was having a hard time jacking up my arms and chest. I increased my protein and healthy fat intake (nuts, fish oil, egg yokes), which I think made it easier to build up my arms and chest, but now some of that belly fat has returned—just a little bit, but it's enough to feel a little frustrated.

I'm just trying to illustrate that body building progression is very much a process of ups and downs while one uses their body like a laboratory to figure out what works best—kinda like seduction.

More progress pictures to follow (for those interested). I genuinely believe any of you could do this, too.

Cheers!

-M
Motiv

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid

Postby Big Daddy » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:29 pm

What's impressive about your transformation is that it was done (I believe) in 3 months. That's awesome progress for that time span. In optimal conditions (sleeping all day long, eating as much as 3500 cals/day, drinking tons of water and working out consistently and having no exams, work or close deadlines, etc), I find that I can pack ~10 lbs in 3 months while maintaining somewhat visible abs.

I can't imagine doing it while on a caloric deficit.
Big Daddy

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid

Postby Motiv » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:56 pm

Big Daddy wrote:What's impressive about your transformation is that it was done (I believe) in 3 months. That's awesome progress for that time span. In optimal conditions (sleeping all day long, eating as much as 3500 cals/day, drinking tons of water and working out consistently and having no exams, work or close deadlines, etc), I find that I can pack ~10 lbs in 3 months while maintaining somewhat visible abs.

I can't imagine doing it while on a caloric deficit.

Thank you, Big Daddy! It has been nearly four months as of today—started on Christmas Eve, 2014.

I don't think anyone could ever do this on a caloric deficit. I believe the only reason I was able to achieve these results in three months is simply due to making all the key aspects of fitness a top priority: always do the scheduled workouts, train hard, eat right, and get your sleep. Make tweaks and adjustments based on your periodic results and as you learn new information.

Personally, I try not to bother too hard counting calories or working with numbers—the major exception being that I do keep careful track of the weight values I use in every exercise. It shouldn't be rocket science—Occam's razor: the simplest solution (or in my opinion, most intuitive) tends to be the correct one.

The first time you're laying in bed with a new beautiful girl continuously running her hand over your midsection, you know you've done something right!

-M
Motiv

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid

Postby NarrowJ » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:28 am

Hey M,

Mischief wrote:I don't think anyone could ever do this on a caloric deficit.

This is one part I'm still a bit foggy on.

I don't eat at a caloric deficit, but I end up with one after I factor in my workout.

Here's a typical day for me:

Breakfast:
Probably something like Oats, Granola, Cereal or Yogurt plus 3 eggs: ~500 calories

Mid-morning snack
Smoothie with some protein powder, fruit, a bit of milk and flaxseed: ~400 calories

Lunch
Large, leafy green salad with proteins (egg, chicken, tuna fish, etc): ~500 calories

Mid-afternoon snack (post workout)
Recovery shake: ~300 calories

Dinner
Could be anything, but limiting myself to healthy meats and veggies and/or rice: ~650 calories

All of that totals around 2,350 calories. But, you subtract an intense 45-50 minute workout and then you are looking at a net of around 1,750 or 1,800 calories (which is a caloric deficit since I am supposed to net 2,140 by my calculations to maintain my own weight).

I don't see how people can consume 3,500 calories and not have at least a bit of belly fat. Maybe it's just my metabolism at my age, but I cannot eat that much. Nor would I want to, as I feel perfectly satiated by the amount of food that I do eat. I have never felt weak or had any issues getting through any of my workouts.

J.J.
You say no to ratchet pussy; NarrowJ can't.
NarrowJ

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Postby Motiv » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:40 pm

Hey J.J.,

NarrowJ wrote:Hey M,

I don't eat at a caloric deficit, but I end up with one after I factor in my workout.

Ah—originally, I was only thinking caloric deficit in terms of general under-eating (which I would personally never recommend anyone do).

That is an interesting point about calories burned in the workouts themselves: in that case, I would also have to take into account the calories burned through the raised metabolism from the afterburn effect as well.

Now my head is already spinning, lol—hence why I try not to get too caught up in counting. If my results are not what I want, or if I am feeling consistently crappy, I may start to count a few things. In the case of the later, it's usually quite obvious what I did to myself (i.e. an overdone cheat meal).

I'm just the type who knows he tends to get lost in the details, and then things get no fun.

Here's a typical day for me:

Breakfast:
Probably something like Oats, Granola, Cereal or Yogurt plus 3 eggs: ~500 calories

Mid-morning snack
Smoothie with some protein powder, fruit, a bit of milk and flaxseed: ~400 calories

Lunch
Large, leafy green salad with proteins (egg, chicken, tuna fish, etc): ~500 calories

Mid-afternoon snack (post workout)
Recovery shake: ~300 calories

Dinner
Could be anything, but limiting myself to healthy meats and veggies and/or rice: ~650 calories

All of that totals around 2,350 calories. But, you subtract an intense 45-50 minute workout and then you are looking at a net of around 1,750 or 1,800 calories (which is a caloric deficit since I am supposed to net 2,140 by my calculations to maintain my own weight).

I don't see how people can consume 3,500 calories and not have at least a bit of belly fat. Maybe it's just my metabolism at my age, but I cannot eat that much. Nor would I want to, as I feel perfectly satiated by the amount of food that I do eat. I have never felt weak or had any issues getting through any of my workouts.

J.J.

Thanks for spelling out a typical day of meals—that gave me some ideas to implement, and it always helps to compare notes!

I will actually do some counting and try to let you all know soon what I usually eat in a typical day.

-M
Motiv

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid

Postby Big Daddy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:59 pm

Mischief wrote:[...] is simply due to making all the key aspects of fitness a top priority: always do the scheduled workouts, train hard, eat right, and get your sleep.

What do you mean by eating right?

You're probably eating less than you think you are. If you stopped eating junk food and started eating nuts or fruits, for example, chances are you're eating less than you used to because they're more fibrous foods and way more satiating. I think it has to do more with quantity of food over quality, at least to someone who never dieted or worked out before. I'm curious to know if you managed to lose weight on a caloric surplus!

Admittedly, I'm very lean and I never really read that much about losing weight - my problem always was packing some pounds. I may be completely wrong...

M, you mentioned that you record the numbers you put on the barbell. Do you mind sharing with us your before/after weights in the barbell lifts?

NarrowJ wrote:I don't see how people can consume 3,500 calories and not have at least a bit of belly fat

I second that. I can't pack a single pound a month if I'm not eating at least 3,300 cals per day, and I do it while having a visible 6-pack year round. I thought that I ate a lot until I met some skinny dudes who happen to eat as much as 4,000 per day (but they're much taller than me). I'm 21 though.
Big Daddy

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid

Postby Lotus » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:56 am

I second that. I can't pack a single pound a month if I'm not eating at least 3,300 cals per day, and I do it while having a visible 6-pack year round. I thought that I ate a lot until I met some skinny dudes who happen to eat as much as 4,000 per day (but they're much taller than me). I'm 21 though.

I was the same way up until I got my first full time job. My lifestyle was active and now is sedentary. 40 hours a week in a chair changes things. Now I have to watch what I eat carefully :(

My bet is these skinny guys are pretty dam active and/or their income comes from a job that requires some sort of movement.

I think it has to do more with quantity of food over quality, at least to someone who never dieted or worked out before.

It's both, yes the more satiating foods help decrease the calorie count, but 500 calories of broccoli doesn't not equal 500 calories of pizza. Also, when you break down your meals as JJ does, eating less more often, you can eat more.
Lotus

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man

Postby Big Daddy » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:25 pm

brum wrote:I was the same way up until I got my first full time job. My lifestyle was active and now is sedentary. 40 hours a week in a chair changes things. Now I have to watch what I eat carefully :(

My bet is these skinny guys are pretty dam active and/or their income comes from a job that requires some sort of movement.

I'm a uni student. I spend most of my day in a chair... I don't understand it either, it's just the way it its. I used to think I was an outlier, but then I started to hang around skinny dudes and it turns out I'm eating a normal amount of food for someone who doesn't pack muscle that easily.

They're 6'4+, so 4,000 a day isn't that much for bodies as big as theirs. Hafþór Bjornsson is motherfucking huge at 6'9 and 420lbs and eats ~10,000 calories a day.

brum wrote:It's both, yes the more satiating foods help decrease the calorie count, but 500 calories of broccoli doesn't not equal 500 calories of pizza.

Regarding what?

You may feel like shit after eating 500 calories of pizza, and in that regard, 500 calories of broccoli is different than 500 calories of pizza. But you'd pack weight (muscle, if you're doing it right) the same way if you ate a surplus of 500 from both pizza or broccoli.
Big Daddy

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid

Postby Lotus » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:54 pm

I'm a uni student. I spend most of my day in a chair... I don't understand it either, it's just the way it its. I used to think I was an outlier, but then I started to hang around skinny dudes and it turns out I'm eating a normal amount of food for someone who doesn't pack muscle that easily

Yea, it's partly genetics as well. Do you walk to and from class? because even 20-30 minutes to and from makes a difference long term.

Regarding what?

You may feel like shit after eating 500 calories of pizza, and in that regard, 500 calories of broccoli is different than 500 calories of pizza. But you'd pack weight (muscle, if you're doing it right) the same way if you ate a surplus of 500 from both pizza or broccoli.

Regarding nutritional value... why do you feel bad after the pizza? because you body is reacting poorly to what you fed it... The fuel is wrong. 20 gallons of diesel and 20 gallons of regular gasoline are not equal. Put diesel in a nom-diesel car, and it won't perform to par. It's the same with out bodies. To perform the best you need the best food.

The weight you pack from 500 calories of extra pizza vs. broccoli is not the same. The nutritional content of the two are not the same, your body will not process them the same. There's more fiber so you will be satisfied longer and obviously there is a lot less fat.
Lotus

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man

Postby Big Daddy » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:09 pm

I used to walk, but now I'm driving a lot more... haven't noticed any changes in gains :(

The weight you pack from 500 calories of extra pizza vs. broccoli is not the same. The nutritional content of the two are not the same, your body will not process them the same. There's more fiber so you will be satisfied longer and obviously there is a lot less fat.

They aren't, but at the level we're talking about here they pretty much are.

You feel like shit when you eat pizza because they have no fiber, are full of shitty ingredients, probably full of conservants and shit, but so is your boxed OJ. You order higher quality pizza instead of Domino's, these effects are largely diminished. Pizza is just bread, tomato sauce and cheese. If order pizza from a higher quality restaurant, you're probably getting a good quality cheese, tomato sauce made with natural tomatoes and so on.

Anyways, that's not the main point.

Diesel may be different from gas, but we break down what we eat to get energy from that. What you're getting when you eat 500 of pizza is A grams of protein, B grams of carbs and C grams of fat. The energy stored and the potential to build muscle, given that you met your protein requirements for the day, in 500 calories of pizza is equal to broccoli because calories are a unit of energy. Fat is actually quite good to pack on some weight - gotta love dem olive oil, whole milk, coconut oil, peanut butter, eggs, etc
Big Daddy

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid

Postby Motiv » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:25 pm

Heya fellas—

I just finished a 21-day fitness challenge on Facebook this past weekend: my personal goal was to work on back and shoulders. As I started out being one of the fittest members of the whole group of competing teams, I had a lot of fun motivating others across teams (90% female) to stay on track and stick with their diets, etc.—posting stills (and some video) of my workouts (shirtless, of course)—reveling at all the female attention in the process (and learning a lot—about women, that is).

Here are before (12/24/14) and after (6/5/15) shots of my back:

ImageImage

It was a very interesting experience for me particularly because I was invited by a girl with whom I used to perform music back in high school to be the only man on an otherwise all-female team (she caught a shirtless pic on my FB page). Believe me, I did everything in my power to present myself as the free-wheeling, no-strings-attached, sexual man I want to be, and by and large, I think succeeded: exchanging risqué photos with horny housewives, teasing sexual banter whenever I joined their chat, and finally becoming a fly on the wall to hear all their true thoughts about their "man-child" boyfriends, irritable husbands, and much more—their true calculative nature. As far as I could tell, they held nothing back whenever I was around: I even earned the nickname, Man Candy.

Our team captain publicly praised me on the public group FB page, citing first their concerns of whether or not they would be honest with each other having a man around, and then going on to state that they were all comfortable sharing anything and everything with me. I realize this was tip-toeing on the boarder of "male-girlfriend" territory, but seeing as how they never stopped calling me man candy or Honey Badger (team name) manliness, I think I held up my masculine frame.

Sure, in the end, this was all just "empty calories," to quote Chase. I still think it was a great learning experience for me: even the digital arena can be a great testing ground to run ideas. I FB friended a few beautiful women (all of whom live no where near me) just to play around with attention/validation techniques and test my concept of "benevolent" sexism. In one example, a particularly hot girl had posted something to the effect of, "if a guy wants you for your breasts, legs, and thighs, send him to KFC. You are a lady, not some cheap value meal…" I 'liked' her comment and responded, "all I want is three of those awesome, healthy cooked meals, a willing companion with which to watch violent war movies, and plenty of ego-stroking—plus I highly doubt KFC could compete anyway," to which she promptly 'liked' and added a three winks in return. I know it doesn't mean all that much in the grand scheme of things, but I still see this as a decent example of personal, field-tested proof of female psychology. Thank you, Mr. Joseph W. South, for that awesome book!

By the way, the moment I put up that picture of my back to my own FB page, a very beautiful, former ballet dancer I had dated two years ago (but not slept with) almost immediately messaged me about tickets to my next concert. For a hard-case studling like myself, this has all been worth it.

Rage-to-Mastery Fitness!

Cheers,

-M

P.S. My point is not to brag but to inspire! Remember, I'm just a guy who bought a supposedly dud internet program and self-taught his way to the physique I have now. Anyone of you can do this, and, however much of a man you already are, taking the best care of yourself physically can only help you feel and be that much greater a man.
Motiv

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid

Postby Motiv » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:25 pm

P.P.S.

I know I've said I would share my exact calorie intake, as well as a few other things. While I could do that, I must say that I almost never actually count calories. I trust my gut (pardon the pun). I eat when I'm hungry, and I stop when I'm full. I ask myself whether or not the foods I'm about to eat are going to help me or hinder me, and then I make a decision (yes, I do cheat from time to time on purpose).

Maybe this is just the performing artist in me, but I don't like calculating by numbers on paper—it makes life tedious and drags me down. I rather live by what my inner sense tells me. Sometimes I step on the scale after every meal and definitely after every workout—absolutely every day. I like having as many dots to connect as possible, which gives my unconscious mind the greatest possibility of making the right choices as I go.

A few pointers I go by:
added sugar=bad (including bread and alcohol—a little red wine is good!)
vegetables=amazing
fruit=good
some fat=necessary
clean carbs=important
protein (in the right quantity)=essential.

*seasoning is your taste buds' new best friend—calorie-free deliciousness!

Don't get all hung up on the exactness of everything because then eating healthy ends up feeling like a sentence of punishment: you will be a lot less likely to stick with it in that case. Healthy eating should feel like the norm for living a happy, fulfilling life. There are a million and one different dieting theories out there. Find out what works best for you with a little trial and error—just like seduction—and eventually you'll latch on to success!
Motiv

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid

Postby Lotus » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:40 pm

Dude that's fucking awesome. What an amazing transformation you have gone through.
Lotus

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man

Postby Motiv » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:17 pm

brum wrote:Dude that's fucking awesome. What an amazing transformation you have gone through.

Thanks, Brum! I have to tell you—it feels fucking awesome. Call me bone-headed, but if I have to build the literal physique of Daniel Craig before I finally feel Bond-esque enough to move forward with seduction, then so be it. Leave it to me to be the man who takes the longest, most circuitous path toward success (wouldn't be the first time)—like Bruce Wayne, I guess I'm taking advice about theatricality quite literally… as goofy as that may sound, I'm really not joking.

I think one overlooked aspect of male fitness is the respect one gets from men. Even male colleagues in orchestra treat me much differently these days—more admiration and positiveness around me. They engage me more frequently in conversation, revealing opinions and sharing information and so forth, the likes of which never happened before. It's all good stuff!

-M

P.S. Now I think I may as well just share the link with this video anyway, even though I have yet to fully prepare all of the time stamp links I had wanted. It is a 42-minute interview with Arnold Schwarzenegger in which he shares some incredible wisdom on not only body building but also the same blueprint for success in any other aspect of life (which is why I believe the body building advice to be accurate—it so reminds me of how my old teacher taught me to tackle devilish violin technique):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcM9CZMMDkU

I highly recommend that everyone watch the entire 42 minutes, but if you're truly short on time, at least jump to 7:26, where he talks about mind-muscle connection and concentration. Personally, I believe that is why I have as good a definition as I do in only five months.

Here is also a small excerpt from the Adonis Index newsletter, stating more or less the same idea:

"Remember that you're primary goal is building muscle not moving weight. And
the way you get there is by increasing to total effort exerted by the working muscle.

This means developing the ability to generate more intensity of contraction with
each rep and constantly working on the mind muscle connection. Every workout,
every set, and every rep you should be working towards generating a better
contraction no matter what weight you are lifting." —John Barban
Motiv

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid

Postby Lotus » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:00 pm

I bet it does. It shows a level of commitment that almost all men desire but very few ever sacrifice to achieve. We all idolize the fittest people on earth but in addition to the time you give up working out, you also give up the guilty pleasures of poor eating and booze.

The summer before my senior year of college I made a commitment similar to that by living in a empty college town and working out for 3 months strait. Our team fitness test came around and I crushed it out of the park. It was one of the proudest/ happiest moments of my life. So I completely understand the feeling.

Now go be bond :)
Lotus

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man

Postby Motiv » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:06 am

brum wrote:I bet it does. It shows a level of commitment that almost all men desire but very few ever sacrifice to achieve. We all idolize the fittest people on earth but in addition to the time you give up working out, you also give up the guilty pleasures of poor eating and booze.

It really comes down to exactly what Schwarzenegger says at 23:00, "What are you more hungry for? To be Mr. Olympia or eat like everyone else and therefor look like everyone else?"

In my case, I'm obviously not going for professional body building, but the principle is the same. These days, I am far more hungry to look like Daniel Craig (and therefor to feel great and pumped with energy) than to consume bad food and booze.

brum wrote:The summer before my senior year of college I made a commitment similar to that by living in a empty college town and working out for 3 months strait. Our team fitness test came around and I crushed it out of the park. It was one of the proudest/ happiest moments of my life. So I completely understand the feeling.

Now go be bond :)

It does feels awesome to stand out from a crowd—be one of the best—especially in physical fitness. Perhaps I'm ready to assume the Bond mantle! :)

Thanks for your support, Brum!

-M
Motiv

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid

Postby Big Daddy » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:32 am

Weell fucking done, man!

How much you're benching/squatting/military pressing/deadlifting? And how much you did on day 1?
Big Daddy

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid

Postby Motiv » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:00 am

Big Daddy wrote:Weell fucking done, man!

How much you're benching/squatting/military pressing/deadlifting? And how much you did on day 1?

Thanks, Bid Daddy.

When I started, literally all I owned was one pair of adjustable dumbbells that maxed out at 65lbs total weight. I used an inflatable ball in place of a bench for pressing. I have only ever worked out alone, in the privacy of my own home.

Nowadays, I have a bit more equipment in my private arsenal, but it all tears down to this:
I worked my way up very gradually to where I am now, which is still rather light. Also, since I have never actually measured my heaviest weight for one-rep of anything (I'd be afraid to do something like that alone) I'll have to contextualize these values in the workouts I do:

Here's an example of a hard leg day for me (this one really tears me up):

3 Trisets (60s rest between trisets): 10 behind back barbell squats, 10 walking dumbbell lunges (per leg), 10 jumping dumbbell lunges (per leg)

4 Supersets (60s rest between supersets): 12 deadlifts, 12 one leg toe touches (per leg)

There's six minutes of functional HIIT cardio of hopping squats and stepping taps to finish it off.

In order to be able to get through this workout, here are the weight values I use:

Squat: 150lbs
DB Lunge: 30lbs per hand
Deadlift: 190lbs

ImageImage

Seated military press is 70lbs, and that's 8-rep sets, superset with 15 reps of 70lbs (per hand) DB shrugs.

Barbell curl is 65lbs at 8 reps with 60s rest—no supersetting.

I'm always down for trying different things too. Judging by my latest pictures, I would really like bigger shoulders and chest. For me, this is all about trying to achieve the Golden (or Adonis) ratio from my shoulders to waist, a proportion of 1.6 (currently 1.4), while staying lean with six pack abs—that's my fitness goal.

The human body is one of the most amazing works of art in existence. Let it shine!

Cheers,

-M

P.S. Warning: Ego Alert
(50 shades of fucked up? You decide…)

ImageImage

Now while it's true that I still have a long way to go in the seduction game, this body transformation has been a huge step up in my fundamentals—it really helps me think of myself as a sexual man to wake up and see this every morning. I flirt with girls like it's nothing now, which is a big deal looking back at where I'm coming from.

Three months to reshape your body is easy compared to years of struggling with women. Get every edge you can.
Motiv

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid

Postby Motiv » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:31 pm

For incline bench press, my heaviest so far is 120lbs for 10 reps.
Motiv

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid

Postby Motiv » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:25 pm

Thought I would share…

My official testimonial is now part of the http://sixpackshortcutscorp.com/#testimonial website.

Here's a direct link to the file they sent me (so you don't have to watch the entire slideshow of testimonials): https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... 0291_o.jpg
Motiv

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid

Postby Smurf » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:10 pm

When is your body considered "nice"?.I've been working out for the better part of two years and I THINK it's nice but I'm not getting many compliments to be honest. When do you know when it's good? Obviously when I do reach that point I'm not going to stop, I'm just wondering how to know when I'm headed in the right direction. I can't post pictures if you guys want.

Jake.
"You are not a Knight, why you savin' all the Maidens?" -Nacho Picasso.
Erasing myself and creating my image anew.
Smurf

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid

Postby Motiv » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:11 am

Jake D. wrote:When is your body considered "nice"?.I've been working out for the better part of two years and I THINK it's nice but I'm not getting many compliments to be honest. When do you know when it's good? Obviously when I do reach that point I'm not going to stop, I'm just wondering how to know when I'm headed in the right direction. I can't post pictures if you guys want.

Jake.

Hey Jake,

I'd go for it—post pictures if you feel comfortable. In all honesty, we need female responses to know precisely what a "good" male look is. I've been risking my reputation lately, posting seriously questionable pictures of myself to my own Facebook page as an experiment to see how attractive women react—as far as the virtual world goes, it has been confirmation of everything people like Drexel teach. I am literally sticking my neck out as a Christian Grey type for all to see, and huge numbers of attractive women have come out of the wood work to "like" my pictures (for whatever that's worth).

As immature and risky as that probably is, I want to destroy my old self in the eyes of those who know me. I've worked super hard on creating a brand new overall image of myself. Here are some examples of that: (warning—narcissist in training…)

ImageImageImageImageImage

P.S. Just to be clear, I have not gotten laid since February, and that is mainly due to my own inner game issues (long story…). I feel it is easier to work on external aspects of seduction why I toil endlessly with my inner issues. My looks are probably vastly incongruent with my game, but I do enjoy those female stares—something I will learn to capitalize upon when I am ready.
Motiv

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid

Postby Smurf » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:54 pm

Basically what I'm running with right now. I'm working on building some more mass definitely. Let me know what you guys think.

Jake.
Smurf

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid

Postby Motiv » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:29 am

Jake, as far as my iPhone goes, your picture isn't showing up (haven't been to my computer yet).

I'm definitely still working on building more mass myself—mainly in my shoulders and chest, so I can get more of that v-taper that spikes visual attraction. Losing weight and getting cut abs is one thing (which is why you should all do it if you haven't already!), but fleshing out a true Adonis physique will probably take another good while (I'm hoping 3-6 months if I can keep up my intensity).

-M
Motiv

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid

Postby Smurf » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:37 am

K, well if that didn't work out then I'm not sure how you upload pictures on here haha.

But yeah I'm working on the v taper, as well as rear shoulders because I've been slacking there haha. I've also been trying to get my legs up to par, they're strong but I want more size on the teardrop.

Jake.
Smurf

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid

Postby Motiv » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:57 am

My trick is uploading to my Facebook page (as private) and then you can get an image URL from there.

Doing lots of T-bar rowing superset with prone Cobras helped me sculpt my back—adds thickness. Back extensions with side laterals also worked the shit out of my back—probably more lower, but that's my favorite exercise for the back.

I would imagine dumbbell squats (held over the shoulders in a hammer position) actually do good upper back work.

-M
Motiv

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid

Postby Smurf » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:33 am

Let's see if that works.

Jake.
Smurf

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid

Postby Motiv » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:34 am

Now it works.

Good shit, man! You're leaner than I am (I've been cheating too much lately—grrr).

For about a month now, I've been trying out the Adonis Golden Ratio (AGR) program. Compared to Six Pack Shortcuts (SPS), it involves a lot more variety of upper body work with dumbbells—exercises that feel like they are activating the shoulders. The only downside is the workouts as listed are a lot less intense than SPS (no super-sets, for example), so I've addressed that by creatively combining various exercises into super-sets and/or adding an active rest bodyweight exercise to the rest periods (usually some form of push-ups), based on what I think I've learned through SPS. That way, I am still targeting the same muscle groups as AGR intends, but with greater intensity, helping me keep up the fat-burning I am used to, and hopefully better muscle pump as well.

Our shoulder muscles are small and fragile, so they can be tricky (and risky) to try and build up too fast. As it stands, I somehow squished one of my right shoulder muscles two months back during some heavy-ish, behind-the-back barbell squats, and I have lost full range of motion in the right rotator cuff (although thankfully, there's never been any pain). I have slowly regained strength and range of motion by continuing to workout with lighter weights (which are now mostly back to original levels), but my ability to shoulder press is still frustratingly limited. A good physical therapist or well-trained masseuse might be able to fix that, but money is tight, so I'm still feeling things out on my own. It's probably just a knot that needs to be released all the way.

Now, I realize I've been talking a lot about myself, lately. Hopefully, by sharing both the good and the bad, it will encourage others to realize that we are not alone in our struggles and triumphs.

-M
Motiv

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid

Postby Smurf » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:07 pm

Yeah man, I'm definitely going to bulk up after this three day show I'm going to this Friday. I was 155, but I dropped back down to 145. :/

For my workouts I mostly just do 5 x 5's at the start of the workout, then move on to 3 sets for 12 reps. Finish off with abs and sauna.

For back I start with pull ups. 10 regular, 10 wide, 10 chin ups, then 10 switch grips, five on each side. Then I move on to rows, 5 x 5, then single arm rows, 5 x 5, then there's a row machine where you're sitting upright, and I hit that 5 x 5. Then I move on to lat pull down, 3 x 12, then some rear shoulder workouts after that.

I think the key is just eating a bunch. I eat normally around 2500 calories a day, and when I was at my biggest I ate 3500 daily, with around 190-210 grams of protein a day. The diet part is definitely the commitment for me haha.

Jake.
Smurf

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid

Postby Motiv » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:46 pm

Controlling food so that we do not fall into the emotional trap of comfort eating just takes practice and in my opinion, continued vigilance (especially if you are someone like me who has a history with binge eating).

You're original question of "what looks good" made me think to recommend this book:

Theory of Ideal Body Proportions

P.S. That's a beast amount of pull-ups!

-M
Motiv

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid

Postby Big Daddy » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:58 pm

Hey Jake, that pic isn't showing here.

If you're naturally skinny like me, dieting will be the hardest. Eating 3,500/day provides results, but fuck me, that's hard shit to do for months in a row.

Since I couldn't see that picture, I don't quite understand what you're trying to say... Because I kinda know what I want to look like three years from now. If you have a well defined body and you aren't getting compliments, it's probably because you're not big enough.
Big Daddy

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid

Next

Return to Lifestyle

AVAILABLE PROGRAMS

girls chase programs eBook Video Mastery Package Phone Coaching w/ Cody Lyans Email Coaching w/ Cody Lyans