Body Transformation: My Success Story

Big Daddy

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
What's impressive about your transformation is that it was done (I believe) in 3 months. That's awesome progress for that time span. In optimal conditions (sleeping all day long, eating as much as 3500 cals/day, drinking tons of water and working out consistently and having no exams, work or close deadlines, etc), I find that I can pack ~10 lbs in 3 months while maintaining somewhat visible abs.

I can't imagine doing it while on a caloric deficit.

Motiv

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Big Daddy said:
What's impressive about your transformation is that it was done (I believe) in 3 months. That's awesome progress for that time span. In optimal conditions (sleeping all day long, eating as much as 3500 cals/day, drinking tons of water and working out consistently and having no exams, work or close deadlines, etc), I find that I can pack ~10 lbs in 3 months while maintaining somewhat visible abs.

I can't imagine doing it while on a caloric deficit.

Thank you, Big Daddy! It has been nearly four months as of today—started on Christmas Eve, 2014.

I don't think anyone could ever do this on a caloric deficit. I believe the only reason I was able to achieve these results in three months is simply due to making all the key aspects of fitness a top priority: always do the scheduled workouts, train hard, eat right, and get your sleep. Make tweaks and adjustments based on your periodic results and as you learn new information.

Personally, I try not to bother too hard counting calories or working with numbers—the major exception being that I do keep careful track of the weight values I use in every exercise. It shouldn't be rocket science—Occam's razor: the simplest solution (or in my opinion, most intuitive) tends to be the correct one.

The first time you're laying in bed with a new beautiful girl continuously running her hand over your midsection, you know you've done something right!

-M

NarrowJ

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Hey M,

Mischief said:
I don't think anyone could ever do this on a caloric deficit.

This is one part I'm still a bit foggy on.

I don't eat at a caloric deficit, but I end up with one after I factor in my workout.

Here's a typical day for me:

Breakfast:
Probably something like Oats, Granola, Cereal or Yogurt plus 3 eggs: ~500 calories

Mid-morning snack
Smoothie with some protein powder, fruit, a bit of milk and flaxseed: ~400 calories

Lunch
Large, leafy green salad with proteins (egg, chicken, tuna fish, etc): ~500 calories

Mid-afternoon snack (post workout)
Recovery shake: ~300 calories

Dinner
Could be anything, but limiting myself to healthy meats and veggies and/or rice: ~650 calories

All of that totals around 2,350 calories. But, you subtract an intense 45-50 minute workout and then you are looking at a net of around 1,750 or 1,800 calories (which is a caloric deficit since I am supposed to net 2,140 by my calculations to maintain my own weight).

I don't see how people can consume 3,500 calories and not have at least a bit of belly fat. Maybe it's just my metabolism at my age, but I cannot eat that much. Nor would I want to, as I feel perfectly satiated by the amount of food that I do eat. I have never felt weak or had any issues getting through any of my workouts.

J.J.

Motiv

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Hey J.J.,

NarrowJ said:
Hey M,

I don't eat at a caloric deficit, but I end up with one after I factor in my workout.

Ah—originally, I was only thinking caloric deficit in terms of general under-eating (which I would personally never recommend anyone do).

That is an interesting point about calories burned in the workouts themselves: in that case, I would also have to take into account the calories burned through the raised metabolism from the afterburn effect as well.

Now my head is already spinning, lol—hence why I try not to get too caught up in counting. If my results are not what I want, or if I am feeling consistently crappy, I may start to count a few things. In the case of the later, it's usually quite obvious what I did to myself (i.e. an overdone cheat meal).

I'm just the type who knows he tends to get lost in the details, and then things get no fun.

Here's a typical day for me:

Breakfast:
Probably something like Oats, Granola, Cereal or Yogurt plus 3 eggs: ~500 calories

Mid-morning snack
Smoothie with some protein powder, fruit, a bit of milk and flaxseed: ~400 calories

Lunch
Large, leafy green salad with proteins (egg, chicken, tuna fish, etc): ~500 calories

Mid-afternoon snack (post workout)
Recovery shake: ~300 calories

Dinner
Could be anything, but limiting myself to healthy meats and veggies and/or rice: ~650 calories

All of that totals around 2,350 calories. But, you subtract an intense 45-50 minute workout and then you are looking at a net of around 1,750 or 1,800 calories (which is a caloric deficit since I am supposed to net 2,140 by my calculations to maintain my own weight).

I don't see how people can consume 3,500 calories and not have at least a bit of belly fat. Maybe it's just my metabolism at my age, but I cannot eat that much. Nor would I want to, as I feel perfectly satiated by the amount of food that I do eat. I have never felt weak or had any issues getting through any of my workouts.

J.J.

Thanks for spelling out a typical day of meals—that gave me some ideas to implement, and it always helps to compare notes!

I will actually do some counting and try to let you all know soon what I usually eat in a typical day.

-M

Big Daddy

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Mischief said:
[...] is simply due to making all the key aspects of fitness a top priority: always do the scheduled workouts, train hard, eat right, and get your sleep.

What do you mean by eating right?

You're probably eating less than you think you are. If you stopped eating junk food and started eating nuts or fruits, for example, chances are you're eating less than you used to because they're more fibrous foods and way more satiating. I think it has to do more with quantity of food over quality, at least to someone who never dieted or worked out before. I'm curious to know if you managed to lose weight on a caloric surplus!

Admittedly, I'm very lean and I never really read that much about losing weight - my problem always was packing some pounds. I may be completely wrong...

M, you mentioned that you record the numbers you put on the barbell. Do you mind sharing with us your before/after weights in the barbell lifts?

NarrowJ said:
I don't see how people can consume 3,500 calories and not have at least a bit of belly fat

I second that. I can't pack a single pound a month if I'm not eating at least 3,300 cals per day, and I do it while having a visible 6-pack year round. I thought that I ate a lot until I met some skinny dudes who happen to eat as much as 4,000 per day (but they're much taller than me). I'm 21 though.

Lotus

Modern Human
Modern Human
I second that. I can't pack a single pound a month if I'm not eating at least 3,300 cals per day, and I do it while having a visible 6-pack year round. I thought that I ate a lot until I met some skinny dudes who happen to eat as much as 4,000 per day (but they're much taller than me). I'm 21 though.

I was the same way up until I got my first full time job. My lifestyle was active and now is sedentary. 40 hours a week in a chair changes things. Now I have to watch what I eat carefully :(

My bet is these skinny guys are pretty dam active and/or their income comes from a job that requires some sort of movement.

I think it has to do more with quantity of food over quality, at least to someone who never dieted or worked out before.

It's both, yes the more satiating foods help decrease the calorie count, but 500 calories of broccoli doesn't not equal 500 calories of pizza. Also, when you break down your meals as JJ does, eating less more often, you can eat more.

Big Daddy

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
brum said:
I was the same way up until I got my first full time job. My lifestyle was active and now is sedentary. 40 hours a week in a chair changes things. Now I have to watch what I eat carefully :(

My bet is these skinny guys are pretty dam active and/or their income comes from a job that requires some sort of movement.

I'm a uni student. I spend most of my day in a chair... I don't understand it either, it's just the way it its. I used to think I was an outlier, but then I started to hang around skinny dudes and it turns out I'm eating a normal amount of food for someone who doesn't pack muscle that easily.

They're 6'4+, so 4,000 a day isn't that much for bodies as big as theirs. Hafþór Bjornsson is motherfucking huge at 6'9 and 420lbs and eats ~10,000 calories a day.

brum said:
It's both, yes the more satiating foods help decrease the calorie count, but 500 calories of broccoli doesn't not equal 500 calories of pizza.

Regarding what?

You may feel like shit after eating 500 calories of pizza, and in that regard, 500 calories of broccoli is different than 500 calories of pizza. But you'd pack weight (muscle, if you're doing it right) the same way if you ate a surplus of 500 from both pizza or broccoli.

Lotus

Modern Human
Modern Human
I'm a uni student. I spend most of my day in a chair... I don't understand it either, it's just the way it its. I used to think I was an outlier, but then I started to hang around skinny dudes and it turns out I'm eating a normal amount of food for someone who doesn't pack muscle that easily

Yea, it's partly genetics as well. Do you walk to and from class? because even 20-30 minutes to and from makes a difference long term.

Regarding what?

You may feel like shit after eating 500 calories of pizza, and in that regard, 500 calories of broccoli is different than 500 calories of pizza. But you'd pack weight (muscle, if you're doing it right) the same way if you ate a surplus of 500 from both pizza or broccoli.

Regarding nutritional value... why do you feel bad after the pizza? because you body is reacting poorly to what you fed it... The fuel is wrong. 20 gallons of diesel and 20 gallons of regular gasoline are not equal. Put diesel in a nom-diesel car, and it won't perform to par. It's the same with out bodies. To perform the best you need the best food.

The weight you pack from 500 calories of extra pizza vs. broccoli is not the same. The nutritional content of the two are not the same, your body will not process them the same. There's more fiber so you will be satisfied longer and obviously there is a lot less fat.

Big Daddy

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
I used to walk, but now I'm driving a lot more... haven't noticed any changes in gains :(

The weight you pack from 500 calories of extra pizza vs. broccoli is not the same. The nutritional content of the two are not the same, your body will not process them the same. There's more fiber so you will be satisfied longer and obviously there is a lot less fat.

They aren't, but at the level we're talking about here they pretty much are.

You feel like shit when you eat pizza because they have no fiber, are full of shitty ingredients, probably full of conservants and shit, but so is your boxed OJ. You order higher quality pizza instead of Domino's, these effects are largely diminished. Pizza is just bread, tomato sauce and cheese. If order pizza from a higher quality restaurant, you're probably getting a good quality cheese, tomato sauce made with natural tomatoes and so on.

Anyways, that's not the main point.

Diesel may be different from gas, but we break down what we eat to get energy from that. What you're getting when you eat 500 of pizza is A grams of protein, B grams of carbs and C grams of fat. The energy stored and the potential to build muscle, given that you met your protein requirements for the day, in 500 calories of pizza is equal to broccoli because calories are a unit of energy. Fat is actually quite good to pack on some weight - gotta love dem olive oil, whole milk, coconut oil, peanut butter, eggs, etc

Motiv

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Heya fellas—

I just finished a 21-day fitness challenge on Facebook this past weekend: my personal goal was to work on back and shoulders. As I started out being one of the fittest members of the whole group of competing teams, I had a lot of fun motivating others across teams (90% female) to stay on track and stick with their diets, etc.—posting stills (and some video) of my workouts (shirtless, of course)—reveling at all the female attention in the process (and learning a lot—about women, that is).

Here are before (12/24/14) and after (6/5/15) shots of my back:

11226570_10206509411114680_1338532805419487788_n.jpg
1471735_10206509395794297_1961203892769551620_n.jpg

It was a very interesting experience for me particularly because I was invited by a girl with whom I used to perform music back in high school to be the only man on an otherwise all-female team (she caught a shirtless pic on my FB page). Believe me, I did everything in my power to present myself as the free-wheeling, no-strings-attached, sexual man I want to be, and by and large, I think succeeded: exchanging risqué photos with horny housewives, teasing sexual banter whenever I joined their chat, and finally becoming a fly on the wall to hear all their true thoughts about their "man-child" boyfriends, irritable husbands, and much more—their true calculative nature. As far as I could tell, they held nothing back whenever I was around: I even earned the nickname, Man Candy.

Our team captain publicly praised me on the public group FB page, citing first their concerns of whether or not they would be honest with each other having a man around, and then going on to state that they were all comfortable sharing anything and everything with me. I realize this was tip-toeing on the boarder of "male-girlfriend" territory, but seeing as how they never stopped calling me man candy or Honey Badger (team name) manliness, I think I held up my masculine frame.

Sure, in the end, this was all just "empty calories," to quote Chase. I still think it was a great learning experience for me: even the digital arena can be a great testing ground to run ideas. I FB friended a few beautiful women (all of whom live no where near me) just to play around with attention/validation techniques and test my concept of "benevolent" sexism. In one example, a particularly hot girl had posted something to the effect of, "if a guy wants you for your breasts, legs, and thighs, send him to KFC. You are a lady, not some cheap value meal…" I 'liked' her comment and responded, "all I want is three of those awesome, healthy cooked meals, a willing companion with which to watch violent war movies, and plenty of ego-stroking—plus I highly doubt KFC could compete anyway," to which she promptly 'liked' and added a three winks in return. I know it doesn't mean all that much in the grand scheme of things, but I still see this as a decent example of personal, field-tested proof of female psychology. Thank you, Mr. Joseph W. South, for that awesome book!

By the way, the moment I put up that picture of my back to my own FB page, a very beautiful, former ballet dancer I had dated two years ago (but not slept with) almost immediately messaged me about tickets to my next concert. For a hard-case studling like myself, this has all been worth it.

Rage-to-Mastery Fitness!

Cheers,

-M

P.S. My point is not to brag but to inspire! Remember, I'm just a guy who bought a supposedly dud internet program and self-taught his way to the physique I have now. Anyone of you can do this, and, however much of a man you already are, taking the best care of yourself physically can only help you feel and be that much greater a man.

Motiv

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
P.P.S.

I know I've said I would share my exact calorie intake, as well as a few other things. While I could do that, I must say that I almost never actually count calories. I trust my gut (pardon the pun). I eat when I'm hungry, and I stop when I'm full. I ask myself whether or not the foods I'm about to eat are going to help me or hinder me, and then I make a decision (yes, I do cheat from time to time on purpose).

Maybe this is just the performing artist in me, but I don't like calculating by numbers on paper—it makes life tedious and drags me down. I rather live by what my inner sense tells me. Sometimes I step on the scale after every meal and definitely after every workout—absolutely every day. I like having as many dots to connect as possible, which gives my unconscious mind the greatest possibility of making the right choices as I go.

A few pointers I go by:
added sugar=bad (including bread and alcohol—a little red wine is good!)
vegetables=amazing
fruit=good
some fat=necessary
clean carbs=important
protein (in the right quantity)=essential.

*seasoning is your taste buds' new best friend—calorie-free deliciousness!

Don't get all hung up on the exactness of everything because then eating healthy ends up feeling like a sentence of punishment: you will be a lot less likely to stick with it in that case. Healthy eating should feel like the norm for living a happy, fulfilling life. There are a million and one different dieting theories out there. Find out what works best for you with a little trial and error—just like seduction—and eventually you'll latch on to success!

Lotus

Modern Human
Modern Human
Dude that's fucking awesome. What an amazing transformation you have gone through.

Motiv

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
brum said:
Dude that's fucking awesome. What an amazing transformation you have gone through.

Thanks, Brum! I have to tell you—it feels fucking awesome. Call me bone-headed, but if I have to build the literal physique of Daniel Craig before I finally feel Bond-esque enough to move forward with seduction, then so be it. Leave it to me to be the man who takes the longest, most circuitous path toward success (wouldn't be the first time)—like Bruce Wayne, I guess I'm taking advice about theatricality quite literally… as goofy as that may sound, I'm really not joking.

I think one overlooked aspect of male fitness is the respect one gets from men. Even male colleagues in orchestra treat me much differently these days—more admiration and positiveness around me. They engage me more frequently in conversation, revealing opinions and sharing information and so forth, the likes of which never happened before. It's all good stuff!

-M

P.S. Now I think I may as well just share the link with this video anyway, even though I have yet to fully prepare all of the time stamp links I had wanted. It is a 42-minute interview with Arnold Schwarzenegger in which he shares some incredible wisdom on not only body building but also the same blueprint for success in any other aspect of life (which is why I believe the body building advice to be accurate—it so reminds me of how my old teacher taught me to tackle devilish violin technique):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcM9CZMMDkU

I highly recommend that everyone watch the entire 42 minutes, but if you're truly short on time, at least jump to 7:26, where he talks about mind-muscle connection and concentration. Personally, I believe that is why I have as good a definition as I do in only five months.

Here is also a small excerpt from the Adonis Index newsletter, stating more or less the same idea:

"Remember that you're primary goal is building muscle not moving weight. And
the way you get there is by increasing to total effort exerted by the working muscle.

This means developing the ability to generate more intensity of contraction with
each rep and constantly working on the mind muscle connection. Every workout,
every set, and every rep you should be working towards generating a better
contraction no matter what weight you are lifting." —John Barban

Lotus

Modern Human
Modern Human
I bet it does. It shows a level of commitment that almost all men desire but very few ever sacrifice to achieve. We all idolize the fittest people on earth but in addition to the time you give up working out, you also give up the guilty pleasures of poor eating and booze.

The summer before my senior year of college I made a commitment similar to that by living in a empty college town and working out for 3 months strait. Our team fitness test came around and I crushed it out of the park. It was one of the proudest/ happiest moments of my life. So I completely understand the feeling.

Now go be bond :)

Motiv

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
brum said:
I bet it does. It shows a level of commitment that almost all men desire but very few ever sacrifice to achieve. We all idolize the fittest people on earth but in addition to the time you give up working out, you also give up the guilty pleasures of poor eating and booze.

It really comes down to exactly what Schwarzenegger says at 23:00, "What are you more hungry for? To be Mr. Olympia or eat like everyone else and therefor look like everyone else?"

In my case, I'm obviously not going for professional body building, but the principle is the same. These days, I am far more hungry to look like Daniel Craig (and therefor to feel great and pumped with energy) than to consume bad food and booze.

brum said:
The summer before my senior year of college I made a commitment similar to that by living in a empty college town and working out for 3 months strait. Our team fitness test came around and I crushed it out of the park. It was one of the proudest/ happiest moments of my life. So I completely understand the feeling.

Now go be bond :)

It does feels awesome to stand out from a crowd—be one of the best—especially in physical fitness. Perhaps I'm ready to assume the Bond mantle! :)

Thanks for your support, Brum!

-M

Big Daddy

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Weell fucking done, man!

How much you're benching/squatting/military pressing/deadlifting? And how much you did on day 1?

Motiv

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Big Daddy said:
Weell fucking done, man!

How much you're benching/squatting/military pressing/deadlifting? And how much you did on day 1?

Thanks, Bid Daddy.

When I started, literally all I owned was one pair of adjustable dumbbells that maxed out at 65lbs total weight. I used an inflatable ball in place of a bench for pressing. I have only ever worked out alone, in the privacy of my own home.

Nowadays, I have a bit more equipment in my private arsenal, but it all tears down to this:
11425201_10206544189744124_6305979947972058142_n.jpg

I worked my way up very gradually to where I am now, which is still rather light. Also, since I have never actually measured my heaviest weight for one-rep of anything (I'd be afraid to do something like that alone) I'll have to contextualize these values in the workouts I do:

Here's an example of a hard leg day for me (this one really tears me up):

3 Trisets (60s rest between trisets): 10 behind back barbell squats, 10 walking dumbbell lunges (per leg), 10 jumping dumbbell lunges (per leg)

4 Supersets (60s rest between supersets): 12 deadlifts, 12 one leg toe touches (per leg)

There's six minutes of functional HIIT cardio of hopping squats and stepping taps to finish it off.

In order to be able to get through this workout, here are the weight values I use:

Squat: 150lbs
DB Lunge: 30lbs per hand
Deadlift: 190lbs

11402669_10206544189864127_7960818395717626376_n.jpg
1506398_10206544257985830_2302462249355366719_n.jpg

Seated military press is 70lbs, and that's 8-rep sets, superset with 15 reps of 70lbs (per hand) DB shrugs.

Barbell curl is 65lbs at 8 reps with 60s rest—no supersetting.

I'm always down for trying different things too. Judging by my latest pictures, I would really like bigger shoulders and chest. For me, this is all about trying to achieve the Golden (or Adonis) ratio from my shoulders to waist, a proportion of 1.6 (currently 1.4), while staying lean with six pack abs—that's my fitness goal.

The human body is one of the most amazing works of art in existence. Let it shine!

Cheers,

-M

P.S. Warning: Ego Alert
(50 shades of fucked up? You decide…)

10402627_10206544202424441_6161550320221154179_n.jpg
11036034_10206544202504443_3526818976193607427_n.jpg

Now while it's true that I still have a long way to go in the seduction game, this body transformation has been a huge step up in my fundamentals—it really helps me think of myself as a sexual man to wake up and see this every morning. I flirt with girls like it's nothing now, which is a big deal looking back at where I'm coming from.

Three months to reshape your body is easy compared to years of struggling with women. Get every edge you can.

Motiv

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
For incline bench press, my heaviest so far is 120lbs for 10 reps.

Smurf

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
When is your body considered "nice"?.I've been working out for the better part of two years and I THINK it's nice but I'm not getting many compliments to be honest. When do you know when it's good? Obviously when I do reach that point I'm not going to stop, I'm just wondering how to know when I'm headed in the right direction. I can't post pictures if you guys want.

Jake.

>