How do you give great advice?

Lover

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
A year or two ago, Chase posted something in the forum about how to create posts that make other users want to answer you. I thought a post like that was neat at the time. And yesterday it got me thinking... how do you even give great advice?

This is something I see over and over, not just on the boards, but in real life as well. One person is asking a question, just looking for a simple answer to a simple question. Then you usually get responses like these:

1) A person that only answers what is asked about.

2) A person that answers somewhat what is asked about, but also talks about tangential stuff to give a more in-depth response.

3) You get the person that completely thinks you should focus on other things.

Categories 1 and 2 are fine.

Category 3 though, I think it's a mixed bag, especially on this forum. I think they come in some variations like:

#1: Someone who focuses on the whole picture and doesn't see any other way, but to focus on something completely else than what is asked about. (on GC, it could be focusing on reaching the hook point instead of getting the number, or improving fundamentals before anything else). These guys are telling you "What you think you should do now, you can do later, no worries".

#2: Someone who only focuses on certain angles of the question asked that are hard to change (on GC, it could be in-born looks, race, being attracted to certain kind of women etc.) and telling you to stop waste your time because "Women only want guys with X looks of Y race" or "Women of X type are stuck up bitches". They talk more about limitations.

I mean, it depends on the question of course. Someone just asking general questions about getting laid, might get more responses from the #1 guys while guys talking about their looks or the race of the women they're trying to lay, might get more responses from the #2 guys. So there is that factor to consider as well.

There is another factor to consider, and that is "What does this guy really want to know, and how much should I tell him?" In real life, I usually give too long answers to simple questions, and I'm trying to shorten that down and just get to the main point straight away.

I'm not sure of the right formula to great advice myself. I usually follow my instincts. But let me know if you have thought about how to give great advice in your life, and if you can recognize the categories I've mentioned above.

>