Video Games

trashKENNUT

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Command and Conquer.

Airforce General.

Online Win to Lost Ratio: 166:233 (somewhere around there)

I wasn't that good but I knew how to play war games, and when you love something, you quickly pick it up

DarkKnight

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
We have plenty of time for computer games at the moment. Remake of Final Fantasy VII, Remake of Resident Evil 3. We are being spoiled for sure :).

Teevster

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Warcraft 3 reforged.

I used to play warcraft 3 when I was a teen, and since I have played it occasionally. Now with confinement I am active again.

Carousel

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Diablo 1 HD mod - lots of new characters, quests, enemies, equipment, spells, high resolution +++

Forbidden Forest in 3D:

Another Forbidden Forest remake:

DarkKnight

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Warcraft 3 reforged.

I used to play warcraft 3 when I was a teen, and since I have played it occasionally. Now with confinement I am active again.

I played the hell out of the original as well, never played reforged especially after the probably deserved outrage against blizzard. Maybe they patched the game up somewhat since release, but they made some really controversial moves. Youtube is full of fans who lash out. Which is a shame. I am a true fan of WC3. Also the many custom games.

Teevster

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
I obviously do not play with the new graphics haha. I play with classic graphics. There are few differences to TFT at this point. The meta has changed a bit. I specialize in 2v2 arranged team. I play elf (played elf since 2004) and recently switched over to undead, mainly because with the years my micro has become really good (200+ apm) and undead benefits more form micro than elf - which I consider more a macro race. I am also fed up with elf, after getting the 1500 win with elf icone, and then making a new account with another 1000 wins with elf, and then make a lot of smurfs... playing elf, I kind of had enough.

DarkKnight

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
I didnt like playing with human and was also strongest with nightelf race, followed by undead.

I remember playing one on one with this guy who played really defensive and we were both at our population cap. So I started mass building ancient protectors and uprooted them followed by my main army. Like an army of Ents. Lord of the rings style. Good times man.

By the way 200+ actions per minute? That's a LOT.

Protean

Space Monkey
space monkey
I mainly play strategy and FPS games.

I started off with Overwatch but now I'm getting into CS:GO. I just love the feeling of improving mechanically and honing my game sense.

I rotate strategy games but these days I'm playing Slay the Spire and Out of the Park Baseball 20 (you play as the GM of an MLB team).

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
I'll go on video game kicks a few times a year. Sometimes I don't touch them for 4-6 months, sometimes I lose a couple days a week to them. Games are great.

I still like Age of Empires II for strategy. Galactic Civilizations II is also good, but too easy once you know how to beat it (I've yet to try III though). And Risk II is an awesome strategy game, and the games aren't too long (unlike AoE).

And of course, there is always Dwarf Fortress. Which is fantastic, once you get into it, but has quite a learning curve.

I played Warcraft 3 years ago when it first came out. It was fun. Good game. Don't remember a lot about it now though, aside from some of the units, and there being heroes, which was a nice dynamic.

I'll play Diablo 1 and 2 once every 3-5 years. 2 is way bigger and also good but never matched the atmosphere of 1. Didn't know about the HD mod!

Always liked the Elder Scrolls games. Daggerfall majorly influenced my life strategy ("life is a collection of skills, and I can upgrade them all!"). Finally played Skyrim last year for the first time and it's a great game too. I also played Fallout 1 and 2 for the first time a few years ago... dated graphics and controls took about an hour to get into, but once I was into them, man, those are good games.

Don't Escape: 4 Days in a Wasteland was a really nice point-and-click old style pixel game that came out last year. Immersive but not too long. The first 3 Don't Escape games were flash games you can play free online. All are a neat concept (as is the author's "Deep Sleep" games), and the fourth one was great. Also set in an apocalypse setting, so somewhat relevant to now.

If you want a short-ish text-based game you can play free online that is immersive but not too hard, look up "A Dark Room."

If you want a short-ish point-and-click game you can play free online that is immersive and will punish you with emotionally frustrating difficulty, look up "Gods Will Be Watching."

If you're on Mac you can download Open EMU as a one-stop app to play any roms you have for Atari, NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, N64, whatever. So much nicer than when you used to have to have a different emulator for every system.

Important tip: so long as you're only playing older games it's easy to keep video gaming under control. It's only when you're playing brand new games you get sucked into spending all your time on them for unreasonable stretches of time.

So just stick to only playing new games when you have a lot of downtime (like now). The rest of the time, play old games you've already played to death that won't wreck your schedule too much or turn you into a temporary hermit ;)

Carousel

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
I'll play Diablo 1 and 2 once every 3-5 years. 2 is way bigger and also good but never matched the atmosphere of 1. Didn't know about the HD mod!

The HD mod for 1 incorporates a lot of the elements from 2 BTW, like characters, spells, one of the bosses etc. Also regenerating the monsters in a level so that experience can be built forever.

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
The HD mod for 1 incorporates a lot of the elements from 2 BTW, like characters, spells, one of the bosses etc. Also regenerating the monsters in a level so that experience can be built forever.

I just took a look at the site.

I was like "Hmm, a lot of this looks familiar! Also... is that Arnold Schwarzenegger as the Barbarian?"

I like these guys' style :)

How do they handle the new dialogue in there? Same voice actors, or new ones, or is it just not voiced?

Carousel

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
How do they handle the new dialogue in there? Same voice actors, or new ones, or is it just not voiced?

Somehow they managed to create more dialogues in similar voices.

DarkKnight

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
I have big news. Today I will receive the Final Fantasy VII remake. Forget about women, forget about game and Corona. This will be what life will be about for the coming week or maybe two.

Train

Chieftan
tribal-elder
I have big news. Today I will receive the Final Fantasy VII remake. Forget about women, forget about game and Corona. This will be what life will be about for the coming week or maybe two.
Just saw a walkthrough. Looks pretty good! I was wondering if it would be turn-based vs action like that.

Quarantine is the perfect time to go all out on this hahaha.

DarkKnight

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Just saw a walkthrough. Looks pretty good! I was wondering if it would be turn-based vs action like that.

Quarantine is the perfect time to go all out on this hahaha.

I played the demo, it';s going to be action. During my first playthrough I do not want to look at walkthroughs. The first playthrough should be blind otherwise you risk losing the charm of the game. I am hoping to recapture the same magical feeling I had when I was 14. They made Tifa really hot by the way :D

>