How to Command Respect From Your Boss

Masterluver22

Space Monkey
space monkey
Hi. So I got hired as a personal trainer at a gym. I scheduled a time to meet with the manager to finalize all the details, set my hours and get my employee number.

So I show up about 10 minutes early. I ask the front desk girls if the manager is there. They said he's not in yet. Its 9:20am, the manager is 20 minutes late.

So I text him at 9:20am,
Me: "Hi, just confirming that we had a 9 am meeting this morning."
Manager: I'm not making it. We'll have to reschedule. When can you come back?
Me: I'm not sure. I'll have to check my schedule. I've been waiting here for 20 minutes. I'll get back to you with a time.
Manager: Ok..

So my question is, this guy totally disrespected my time, I waited for 20 min and he doesn't apologize whatsoever. When I schedule to meet with him next time, how can I tell him to be on time, because I value my time in a classy, non-aggressive manner. I know he's my "boss", but I refuse to be belittled, disrespected and have my time wasted.

All comments are more than welcome, thanks!

determined

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
How about a standards based approach? You could ask something like, "If I start working here, should I expect my coworkers to miss meetings with me often? And will they give me a heads up when they're going to miss a meeting, or will they make me sit around and wait for 20 minutes every time?"

Lotus

Modern Human
Modern Human
I’d ask you self, do you really want to work for this guy? Showing up at 9am for a meeting isn’t hard. If he can’t do something simple like that what if you need something important from him. Sounds like he was planning on blowing you off completely if you didn’t reach out.

You can’t convince him to be on time, he either cares or he doesn’t. Clearly he doesn’t.

Lotus

>