Gillette ad "the best men can be" opinions

tenken27

Rookie
Rookie
what are you guy's opinion on the new Gillette ad? it seems to have been universally praised by liberals/progressive media and simultaneously condemned by republican/conservative media and I'd like to start a dialogue on girlschase about how we as men perceive the ad. In my opinion it's pretty ridiculous that a razor company would produce an advertisement that basically shits on their target demographic and then go "Hey, also buy our razors." It's pretty backwards marketing.
anyways i'd really like to get chase's opinion if possible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koPmuEyP3a0&t=7s

Mr.Rob

Modern Human
Modern Human
Lol at the black dude stopping the white guy from approaching the girl... Id punch that dude in the stomach and go hit that cute barbie up

Na Im not buying Gillette ever again thats some pussy shit cowtowing to liberal feminist shit as a mens company.

Russell Brands Take On "The Best a Man Can Get" :'D

Ree

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
tenken27 said:
what are you guy's opinion on the new Gillette ad? it seems to have been universally praised by liberals/progressive media and simultaneously condemned by republican/conservative media and I'd like to start a dialogue on girlschase about how we as men perceive the ad. In my opinion it's pretty ridiculous that a razor company would produce an advertisement that basically shits on their target demographic and then go "Hey, also buy our razors." It's pretty backwards marketing.
anyways i'd really like to get chase's opinion if possible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koPmuEyP3a0&t=7s
i agree with the parts against condemning violence and bullying,i obviusly disagree with "approaching" and spanking as harrasment

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
I'd just like to have been in the meeting room where somebody first pitched this ad to the company. It'd be fascinating to see the groupthink in action.

I suspect it went something like this...

==

CINDY: Guys, I have a GREAT idea for a new ad we can run. Picture this: we show a bunch of men depressed at the state of the world. They feel bad about the dark side of male behavior. And then we see men stepping up and telling other men when something is not okay. So we see the good guys, and also the misguided guys who are getting helped. I think this could be REALLY big!

PATRICE: Wow Cindy, I really like that idea. We could throw in a reference to the #MeToo movement to make it more timely.

RANDALL: Maybe have a guy listening to the radio at the beginning feeling sad about the state of the world as he hears all this stuff.

LEON: We should have a noble black man check an out-of-line white guy trying to get all feely on some women walking by. That way we can show black men can be just as empowered helping to stop the bad side of masculinity too!

ABIGAIL: Awesome ideas, everyone! I'm really getting excited about this. This could be a new era of social campaigning for our brand! We need to cover bullying too. That's very important. And we need to make sure we're not telling victims to fight back and defend themselves -- that will just lead those victims to grow up and become toxically masculine too. Instead we need to encourage bullies and victims alike to make peace and practice docility. Break the masculine stereotypes! Nobody has to be a rough, violent male!

CINDY: Wow guys, this is getting even better than I imagined it. Wow just wow.

[TIME PASSES FOR OUR HEROES. FOUR MONTHS LATER...]

PATRICE: Cindy, how's our new short film performing?

CINDY: Uhh... well, pansexual Twitter sure loves it!

PATRICE: How about YouTube? Are we getting lots of views?

CINDY: Yeah, you could definitely say that...

PATRICE: I thought I saw something in the news about it! The press seems to be pretty pleased with the video. Great job! I'm sure sales will soar.

CINDY: Uh, yeah! Sorry if I'm a little distracted...

[WE SEE CINDY RETURN TO FURIOUSLY DELETING COMMENTS AND DISLIKES ON YOUTUBE. FADE TO BLACK]

==

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
Thanks dude. Glad to know you have a sense of humor.

Will KZ

Space Monkey
space monkey
what are you guy's opinion on the new Gillette ad?

Gilette: "Men are not doing their best, they're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people." Or something along those thought lines.

As a white man I actually love it. I have been boycotting all shaving companies since growing my beard a few years ago, so I don't feel particularly betrayed, although I did use gilette many years ago, never got as a good a shave as with a cutthroat razor. But I love this notion that we, and we alone, have the power to control our destinies and that of the whole of mankind. If I was a different race or gender, the world would constantly be telling me I was a victim, and I'd probably end up believing it, and then things would just happen to me. But instead, the media gives me two things - one, by painting me as a villain because of my race and gender, it makes it easier to go against society's trends. And two, it gives me a sense of personal responsibility, since I can't blame my shortcomings on anyone else.

But yeah, as an ad it may not be the best idea to make insulting generalisations of the customer base, but then again it might be. They've gotten loads of attention, which is the first point of an ad, and the backlash may inspire a smaller but devoted base of liberal men to support the company, the same ones who tripped overthemselves to buy Nike's sweatshop shoes after the Kaepernick ad.

NiceGuy110

Space Monkey
space monkey
I've heard a few people say it's likely a stunt to gain more coverage. As in any publicity is good. Any thoughts?

For this reason I have never watched the ad on youtube. I don't want to give more views. I did hear on the several times on the radio though.

uForia

Space Monkey
space monkey
For me, I give zero shits about the content of the ad. What I do give a shit about is how other people have perceived it and whether it affects our strategy for meeting women.

In this context, all you really can do is form data-driven conclusions. Every interpretation I do will be skewed towards unfavorable outcomes to us to remain conservative. First piece of data we have is that the favorability splits around 33% favorable, 66% unfavorable. Those who liked or disliked the video are likely to be disproportionately passionate about this subject, so we have increased favorability here at Girlschase in continuing to pursue women in our manners with the politically passionate base. Back of the napkin math says 100% of the conservatives voted unfavorable and so did 33% of leftists. We also tend to live in urban areas, which around 66% of the population skew leftist and 33% of the population skew conservative as an estimate. Then the favorability ratio shifts to 44% favorable, 56% unfavorable among the general population in the city, which is still not too bad. This video got around 30 million views, 10% of the US population. Presumably more have seen this video on the superbowl but not Youtube, and this is assuming every view is a unique person which is again the worst case scenario. And the total people voting is around 2.1 million people, 0.7% of the US population. This is totally ignoring any potential foreign statistics as we come to the worst possible conclusion.

Even then, I come to the conclusion that there's very little to worry about and we should keep carrying on while erring on the side of caution upon seeing thick rimmed glasses.

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
The director looks significantly more attractive in that purse lipped hair-tyed-back picture used in that YouTube video than she does in all her other pictures:

Kim-Gehrig.jpg

VS.

8576540-6596225-image-a-61_1547595902394.jpg

I guess we know which photo she uses on Bumble.

But yeah I mean. Her entire website is super woke stuff.

I'm not sure why all these mega corps think getting politically woke is a good idea. Sometimes I guess it works, but often it's just a disaster (the whole "get woke, go broke" meme).

It seems like most of these mega corps are just desperately looking for ways to make themselves cool and relevant.

And sometimes they succeed. But usually they just fall on their faces and its a whole lotta cringe.

I think they are still living in the 2000-naughts, when you could safely mime P.C. talking points and everyone would get the warm and fuzzies.

Now P.C. talking points are less about "love and inclusion for everyone" and more about "Group X is empowered and Group Y needs to shut up and learn from Group X", which is just raises a bunch of peoples' hackles and does not lead to the warm and fuzzies at all.

Chase

>