How to handle a possible job interview same day as a huge family event?

Lover

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Hi gentlemen - merry Xmas to you all ;)

Last week I got a call the day before my exam from a work place I had sent a job application for. The guy told me if I could make it the next day, they would like to have me over for a job interview. But I couldn't unless it was after my exam. Unfortunately it wasn't a possibility, and I wrote the job off.

Two days ago, I see a post that they are still hiring students for the position. I resent my application as soon as I saw it. And yesterday, I got a call from the guy I talked to last week. He told me they would have interviews on December 27th or 28th, and they would make calls for the interviews on the 26th. This, however, put me in a new tight spot.

My girlfriend asked me a month ago if I would like to join her for a huge family event her aunt is hosting the 27th. And around two weeks ago, I agreed to come. It's held in her childhood town, and she and I are supposed to go there early in the morning so she can show me around before meeting up with the rest of her family. Let me just say there is no way I'm cancelling the very day before we're supposed to go there.

On the other hand, it's a job I want badly, so I want to see if I can maneuver the situation in my favor. Assuming the guy tells me the job interviews will be held on the 27th, I wonder what my possibilities are? I would like to see if I can get him to arrange a separate job interview with me on the 28th since they seem desperate to hire one or two students. When we talked last week, he said the interview wouldn't last more than 15 minutes. If he tells me it will be on the 27th, is there some way I can try to get him and his superior to meet me for just 15 minutes on the 28th?

Fuck This

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Make it clear when they call you that you are out of town on the 27th but the 28th works for you. Remember you are the prize here, not the job. Respect for your time is paramount in both relationships and employers.

Lover

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
I will definitely make it clear I can only make it the 28th. But besides pointing that out, would it be too much to try and steer the odds even more in my favour? And if no, how can I do it?

Lover

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Update: He ended up calling me today instead, asking if I can make it tomorrow. He also asked me to bring my calender - a very good sign... maybe I'm closer to getting the job than I thought

>