What is an Alcoholic?

Hue

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
What defines a person as an Alcoholic?

The DSM-V lists the criteria for Alcohol Use Disorder as have exhibited at least 2 of the following:

1). Ended up drinking more or longer than you intended
2). More than once tried to cut down/stop drinking and couldn't.
3). Spent a lot of time drinking or being sick from drinking
4). Wanted to drink so bad you couldn't think about anything else
5). Drinking has often interfered with family/school/work
6). Continued to drink after these interferences
7). Given up on activities that were important to you to drink
8). Gotten into harmful or dangerous circumstances from drinking more than once
9). Continued to drink after feeling depression/anxiety/memory blackout from drinking
10). Developed a tolerance to achieve the desired effect
11). Experienced withdrawal from drinking

Mild 2-3
Moderate 4-5
Severe 6+

Then in simple terms, there's people that say:

"if you drink everyday"

"if you have 1+ DUI"

"if you get into tons of bar fights"

"if you choose booze over family"

"if you steal for booze/booze money"

"if you drink to forget"

..then you're an Alcoholic.

Now, I've never done any of those quoted things, but I do have 6 of those criteria. (Spend alotta time drinking, it's interfered, I've continued, gotten into dangerous circumstances, continued after depression/blackouts, and developed a tolerance [I would put tried to cut down and couldn't, but compared to my old lifestyle I've cut down quite a bit] )

So, does that make me an Alcoholic?

ex. of someone meeting every criteria: Frank Gallagher from Shameless - cares about drinking > anything in life. Lies, cons, cheats his kids and friends to continue drinking the way he does. Tries to quit, fails. Very narcissistic.

If it does, then there are many people in college and simply in my age group that are also alcoholics or have alcohol use disorder. That said, there is still a large population in that demographic that never touch the stuff, but,

does that make those people functioning Alcoholics? Functioning alcoholics here meaning someone that drinks excessively and meets some criteria, but has enough success and responsibilites to "weight it out". They "have their shit together".

ex. Donald Draper - successful, wealthy, seducer who drinks every day and has family issues

And, if that does make people functioning alcoholics, is that such a bad thing, given the time period?

I certainly don't plan on partying the way I do forever, nor do most of the people that I party with.
There's tons of people that don't party like I do, or at all for that matter, nor do they have nearly as much of a resume on them. I work part time, go to a good university, work for an internship, work for an accredited college's research lab in my university, work for Red Cross, read constantly, exercise... and drink like a fish on weekends/some weekdays, meeting 6 DSM-V AUD criteria.
I also developed the majority of my social skills from a partying lifestyle, and grew my network massively from doing so.

People who are underachievers are underachievers whether the drink or not. But a person who underachieves and drinks like a fish is more likely to be deemed an alcoholic than someone who's a high achiever and drinks like a fish. What's the difference?

The term has different definitions. American culture sensationalizes a drinking lifestyle, blurring the lines of healthy mentalities on alcohol, and normalizing/rationalizing people's behaviors around it.

Now I'll be completely honest, I typed this little thing up to mainly address my own concerns, gather some outside opinions, and consider if I'm an Alcoholic. When I talk to my close friends about it, they think I'm overthinking it and none of us have a problem.
I also was just curious to see how some of the minds on here view the topic in general.

So, what do you dudes think? What does it take for someone to be an Alcoholic, and what does that mean?

Hueman

Hue

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Here's what I think. If you're trying to rationalize why you're not something, then you probably are...

If you're used to hanging around dysfunctional people, you'll start to think it's how functional people behave. Cognitive dissonance.

I'm putting it into consideration if I am - were I to get diagnosed it would come from a professional. Seeking that out may or may not come after I'm finished considering this.

I hang out with many different kinds of people (athletes, frat dudes, musicians, scholars (from psychology to engineering to pre-med), druggies, video-game geeks), and 90% of them drink. Sure, the druggies and the frat dudes drink waay more than the athletes and engineering students, but the general attitude on drinking is not changed. Every student in my current research lab binge drinks every weekend.

It's not atypical for college students to get smashed on the weekends, in my experience. If I were a double major pre-med chemistry & mathematics, maybe I wouldn't see it this way, though.

Most of the frat dudes, athletes, and scholars are certainly functioning people, I'm not sure why you deemed my close friends as dysfunctional.
The statement by itself though, you're absolutely correct.

Donald Draper is a fictional character dude.
D. Drape was simply to serve as an object representing what a "functional alcoholic" is.
My old Alumni Advisor makes 6 figures, drinks every day, and hates his marriage, but nobody knows who that is.

Do this: Drop all alcohol for 2 weeks. If you start to crave it or you start having withdrawal symptoms, then you'll have your answer!

I've done 2 weeks without withdrawal, just not very recently, but I guess doing it again could be a good experiment :)

However, I don't think that would give me the answer I'm looking for.

To clarify, my question was "So, what do you dudes think? What does it take for someone to be an Alcoholic, and what does that mean?", not "Guys I'm an alcoholic what do I do?"
Me asking "Does this make me an alcoholic" was really me asking "Does me meeting 6 DSM criteria for Alcohol Use Disorder make me an Alcoholic?"

Thanks for the quick feedback,

Hueman

Mr.Rob

Modern Human
Modern Human
So by the government bureau criteria that you put up yes that would be an alcoholic on paper.But life doesn't exist on paper.

My definition of an alcoholic is two fold A) you drink to excess consistently and experience great difficulty in refraining from the substance; B) your personal life, health, and/or happiness is diminished as a result of consistent drinking.

My best friend back home is relatively happy with her personal life and health and is an overall pleasant person to be around (disqualifying her from B) but she drinks to excess daily and experiences great difficulty in refraining... thus she's an alcoholic.

The problems emerge when you have both A AND B.

-Rob

Drck

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Good answers & points above. Note that the DSM doesn't really talk (specifically) about alcoholics because there are different levels (as you mentioned, mild-moderate-severe). An easier way is to look at it as alcohol abuse vs alcohol dependence (DSM-IV), which DSM-V combines under 'Alcohol Use Disorder'. For example, you could be abusing alcohol but not being dependent on alcohol (as you may not experience withdrawal or other symptoms)

https://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications ... smfact.htm

"(Spend alotta time drinking, it's interfered, I've continued, gotten into dangerous circumstances, continued after depression/blackouts, and developed a tolerance [I would put tried to cut down and couldn't, but compared to my old lifestyle I've cut down quite a bit] )"
>>>> According to this you meet the official criteria. There is of course a difference between young college guy who is 20 years old who parties non-stop because it is fun, and 40 years old alcoholics who lost his job, family, health, and who is now begging on the street because he's been unable to stop drinking since his great college years...

------------
Regardless, consider when the drinking interferes with your life in negative way, some examples:

* when you get DUI as you mentioned, e.g. your license could be suspended, pay hundreds of $$$ fine,...
* lose some of your friends that you care about
* lose GF that you love (which normal young girl wants to be with a guy who drinks couple times per week?)
* spent excessive amount of money on drinking vs for instance investing

These don't necessary make you an alcoholic at this time, not at this moment - but think long term, 5 years from now, or 10 or 20 years from now... these things could start happening to you without you even realizing it. Alcoholism is classified as addiction, addiction is a disease... The reason is that the addiction modifies your brain structure. So maybe you are not an alcoholic at this time, however because you are (I'm assuming) young you may be developing addiction... It may be easy for you to stop drinking now, but how about in 5-10 years of drinking? You may have severe cravings for alcohol, severe withdrawal symptoms, some health issues... and you won't be able to stop drinking so easily because of the habits you developed...

Consider depression and/or anxiety. Why do people drink and use drugs? Sometimes because of stupidity, to show off in college or have good time, and so forth. But other times they just want to suppress anxiety, or they want to 'forget' things, they want to forget some things in their lives, or they want to feel better, they want to get high... When you look at lives of people suffering addiction, many have underlying mental illness, they are basically self-medicating themselves with different substances...

Some people may be functioning alcoholics, true. But many are not, alcohol makes them simply dumb as f*ck... It is just a victim mentality, it is denial, it is justification and excuses saying "I can drink as I want and when I want and be perfectly functioning"... As a matter of fact, check the 12 step program for alcoholics. The very first step, Step 1, is to admit that you (as an alcoholic) are powerless over the alcohol, and that your life became unmanageable because of it... Very enlightening for some, many alcoholics are having lots of difficulties even admitting that they have a problem drinking...

Consider health issues. Chronic alcohol use can damage your liver, it can cause heart problems, you can have seizures, anemia and gout because of excessive alcohol... Thousands of dollars down the road wasted on health issues... Why risk it if you can stop easily?

Consider financial issues. I don't know what you drink, let's say that you spent somewhere between $50-$100 per week just on alcohol. It doesn't seem that much, but that's between $200-$400 per month. That's a nice monthly car payment. If you keep saving the same money for say 5 years, week after week, you can have nice down payment for house. Or, if you spent the same money on fitness and healthy foods, you'll be in much better shape 5-10 years from now... Math doesn't lie...

------------------

Life is many times about choices we make, especially at young age... It may be easy to quit drinking or drugs for some, they just leave the habit as if nothing happened and never come back... Others may not be so fortunate, they fall for the bad habit, they develop true addiction, and things like alcohol and drugs may literally destroy their lives, no matter what they do... IMO much better question is "Why risking it" vs "Does XYZ criteria make me an alcoholic"...

Inbocca

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Throwing my 2 cents in here too.

But life doesn't exist on paper.

Love this statement. Especially for mental illnesses and conditions, it's very difficult to define things because everyone has a different mentality and handles situations very differently.

Having come from a family of alcoholics, who vary widely in tolerance, body type, and drinking habits, I've personally only considered someone a true alcoholic when they were incapable of stopping without help. For you, if this is something you're really concerned about, I'd follow Slay's advice and try and quit for a couple weeks. More than likely, unless you do have a serious problem, you'll be able to do it. Don't even worry too much about cravings or withdrawals; those can be indicators but don't define a problem outright. Especially if your life isn't super exciting, the fact that you like to drink means you're probably going to want to drink at some point. Withdrawals happen anytime your body is used to something and doesn't get it. The true measure of your "problem" is willpower > desire. If you drink, then you're obviously not as concerned about it as you feel you are. Either way, you get your answer. Cheers! :)

Also, Drck has a lot of good points. There are a lot of good reasons not to drink. Most people don't stop until they get older though. The biggest reason for me is that I don't want to get used to trying to pick up girls when drunk. I'd rather find a way to embody drunk Inbocca when I'm sober.

Hue

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Rob,

So by the government bureau criteria that you put up yes that would be an alcoholic on paper.But life doesn't exist on paper.

My definition of an alcoholic is two fold A) you drink to excess consistently and experience great difficulty in refraining from the substance; B) your personal life, health, and/or happiness is diminished as a result of consistent drinking.

My best friend back home is relatively happy with her personal life and health and is an overall pleasant person to be around (disqualifying her from B) but she drinks to excess daily and experiences great difficulty in refraining... thus she's an alcoholic.

The problems emerge when you have both A AND B.

-Rob

Exactly, life definitely doesn't exist on paper. Really, a label doesn't totally define someone's behaviors/situations either, but serve as a tool of articulation.

I'd say that's a fair criteria.

I have a coworker just like this. Her day doesn't end without enough mixed drinks to get her good and drunk, but she's 30, married, and happy.
Dependent, but not necessarily abusive.

Drck,
For example, you could be abusing alcohol but not being dependent on alcohol (as you may not experience withdrawal or other symptoms)

I'd say that's where I'm at.

According to this you meet the official criteria. There is of course a difference between young college guy who is 20 years old who parties non-stop because it is fun, and 40 years old alcoholics who lost his job, family, health, and who is now begging on the street because he's been unable to stop drinking since his great college years...

Consciously, "because it's fun" is the reason I drink. The reason someone drinks I think is a huge factor in whether someone can be deemed an alcoholic.

I wonder though, if there is something in my subconscious that draws me towards drinking.

* lose GF that you love (which normal young girl wants to be with a guy who drinks couple times per week?)
* spent excessive amount of money on drinking vs for instance investing

Haven't lost GF, but have seen both positive and negative consequences from the "party boy" reputation as far as women go.
I know many young girls who want to be with a guy who drinks a couple times a week (aka greek life), I'm not sure what you see as a "normal young girl", though.

Some love the "bad boy/fun time" aspect, where as some lose attraction from "reckless/ irresponsible" aspect.

These don't necessary make you an alcoholic at this time, not at this moment - but think long term, 5 years from now, or 10 or 20 years from now... these things could start happening to you without you even realizing it. Alcoholism is classified as addiction, addiction is a disease... The reason is that the addiction modifies your brain structure. So maybe you are not an alcoholic at this time, however because you are (I'm assuming) young you may be developing addiction... It may be easy for you to stop drinking now, but how about in 5-10 years of drinking? You may have severe cravings for alcohol, severe withdrawal symptoms, some health issues... and you won't be able to stop drinking so easily because of the habits you developed...

Hadn't though much about this. Solid point. Perhaps putting the breaks on now would make eventually just stopping simpler.

I know it modifies brain structure, it's well known in Psychology and Neuroscience. Not only do you lose grey matter, it weakens D-2 receptors that inhibit your desire to engage in activities like drinking or drug use. I guess I'm falling subject to that classic, stupid, "I'll always be fine / would never happen to me" thing.

Some people may be functioning alcoholics, true. But many are not, alcohol makes them simply dumb as f*ck... It is just a victim mentality, it is denial, it is justification and excuses saying "I can drink as I want and when I want and be perfectly functioning"... As a matter of fact, check the 12 step program for alcoholics. The very first step, Step 1, is to admit that you (as an alcoholic) are powerless over the alcohol, and that your life became unmanageable because of it... Very enlightening for some, many alcoholics are having lots of difficulties even admitting that they have a problem drinking...

True, but similar to how Rob wrote, plenty of people are alcoholics without it negatively effecting their lives to a substantial degree, whether it's rationalization or not.

AA has plenty of great mentalities, and has proven successful for many. Personally, I think it can tend to be a little cultish, but that may be an issue of poor operation of groups and not the program as it's intended to be.

Consider health issues. Chronic alcohol use can damage your liver, it can cause heart problems, you can have seizures, anemia and gout because of excessive alcohol... Thousands of dollars down the road wasted on health issues... Why risk it if you can stop easily?

Consider financial issues. I don't know what you drink, let's say that you spent somewhere between $50-$100 per week just on alcohol. It doesn't seem that much, but that's between $200-$400 per month. That's a nice monthly car payment. If you keep saving the same money for say 5 years, week after week, you can have nice down payment for house. Or, if you spent the same money on fitness and healthy foods, you'll be in much better shape 5-10 years from now... Math doesn't lie...

Health issues

I stay pretty healthy. I exercise, eat pretty well, meditate, and don't smoke. I'm also 21 - I won't always be this way so you're right in that.
I drink tequila ( "tequila makes your close come off (; ") almost exclusively which is apparently is the "most healthy alcohol", but this is equivalent to saying "it's cool I eat Wendy's everyday, it's the healthiest fast food".

Financial issues

I definitely drop a little too much coin when I'm going out to bars. Part of that is because the price of drinks at bars can be high as shit, though. Another part is definitely the fact that the drunker people are the, the less inhibited their decisions are, and the more they spend. I've had the "your card declined" moment more than once. It sucks.

I've been talking with my Pops and he's helping me set up a savings this summer (once I actually have a steady cash flow, not being in classes), so I'm moving towards covering that base.

I've never understood how adults with families can prioritize drinking over providing for their families... that blows my mind. Then again I don't know anyone physically addicted to alcohol quite yet. Capitalism can be cruel sometimes, exploiting addictive drugs and selling the consumer the "sexy lifestyle" that comes with it.

Life is many times about choices we make, especially at young age... It may be easy to quit drinking or drugs for some, they just leave the habit as if nothing happened and never come back... Others may not be so fortunate, they fall for the bad habit, they develop true addiction, and things like alcohol and drugs may literally destroy their lives, no matter what they do... IMO much better question is "Why risking it" vs "Does XYZ criteria make me an alcoholic"...

Absolutely right. And that is a very sad, I've seen it happen so much in the past year... the kids I graduated with that never got any part of their lives together now in jail, dropped out, moved to hard shit, etc.

As someone going into Addiction Counseling, I'm hopeful for these people. One of my current mentors is a former meth addict and uses his familiarity with addiction as a strength - he' s now a licensed counselor. There's a former H addict I know that once I told him about where I'd be going with counseling he told me "Hueman you can't be an addiction counselor dude.. you've never been addicted to anything!" which I contested, but his point does make some sense.

Thanks for such a detailed response.

Inbocca,

Having come from a family of alcoholics, who vary widely in tolerance, body type, and drinking habits, I've personally only considered someone a true alcoholic when they were incapable of stopping without help. For you, if this is something you're really concerned about, I'd follow Slay's advice and try and quit for a couple weeks. More than likely, unless you do have a serious problem, you'll be able to do it. Don't even worry too much about cravings or withdrawals; those can be indicators but don't define a problem outright. Especially if your life isn't super exciting, the fact that you like to drink means you're probably going to want to drink at some point. Withdrawals happen anytime your body is used to something and doesn't get it. The true measure of your "problem" is willpower > desire. If you drink, then you're obviously not as concerned about it as you feel you are. Either way, you get your answer. Cheers! :)

Ironic you end that with "cheers!" lol.

See, I have done that before just to prove to myself that I could - I don't really see it as a measure of if someone's an alcoholic yet, just as one of willpower.

If someone's an alcoholic, they force themselves to stop for say, a month, but then they drink again and go on a bender, followed by all their past issues flooding back into their lives. What the addiction community teaches is "once an addict, always an addict", and sobriety is just "in recovery".

Though, if an addict still has willpower > desire, then they'd be able to stop themselves from relapsing or fucking other parts of their lives up.

Also, Drck has a lot of good points. There are a lot of good reasons not to drink. Most people don't stop until they get older though. The biggest reason for me is that I don't want to get used to trying to pick up girls when drunk. I'd rather find a way to embody drunk Inbocca when I'm sober.

Very true.

Yeah I used to rely on liquid courage. Now I actually prefer talking to girls sober > drunk, since you're sharper and pick up on more queues.

Thanks for all the replies dudes.

All this aside, I fucking love to party.

It's not that I necessarily love getting drunk... I mean sure, the buzz is nice, but at most parties at my age / in my social circles, what do people also do when they party? They drink. I usually prefer intellectually stimulating conversation to drunked bafoonery, something that grows stronger as I've gotten older. Obviously, drinking is not a requirement to celebrate (;

What I needed and received, was some outside opinions on the topic, since most of what I hear from my peers is that what I do / we do is fine and well. While I don't plan on going 100% sober for the time being, I do plan on pushing my foot to the breaks a bit more. Not going out one night of the week that I normally would to go on a date / study / make some $$ is a solid alternative, and provides positive and negative reinforcement (get laid, kill an exam, no left hook to my bank account, no hangover).

Cheers,

Hueman

>