Helping People vs Realizing that the world is hardcase, life is perfect as it is

trashKENNUT

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
A personal dilemma.

I love that successful people help or having a world that helps each other, but then i also learn that the world also is hardcase. To think most of us are angry because we been not taught things. I have a dilemma. On one hand, without people's advice, i will never know life. But without me doing my part, i don't want to see someone like me that did not have the opportunity to learn something.

Perhaps here is where i am wrong, and where people learn to help effectively, understand. They focus on a creating a place/system where they can help people. Bill Gates noted he was naive with Africa when he tried to do more than he can.

Perhaps i should and must heed Bill's advice. :)

Zac

Howell

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Re: Helping People vs Realizing that the world is hardcase, life is perfect as i

The world is too full of do-gooders, if you ask me. Everyone seems to be scraping and clawing to do what they think is right, but all they end up doing is speeding up the process of our mutual fragmentation and destruction. For example, think of any political leader. Any good politician wholly believes in their cause; they have absolute conviction that what they are doing is right. Yet this leads to irreconcilable conflict when they meet someone who has the same conviction but a different idea of what is right. Like this land is our land, not yours. Or your beliefs are the wrong types of beliefs. The Crusades, the Terror -- so many terrible things have been committed for the sake of "improving the world".

What about our meddling with plant and animal populations with pesticides and genetic modification? Sure, it may be good in the short term, but the diseases we try and overcome through these means catch back up and become even more potent. We then have to modify these things even more, and end up making them not work outside of highly specialized, fragile settings (like a laboratory). A few major earthquakes could make us miss some pollination cycles and totally make a certain strain of apple extinct. Our do-gooding also seems to be killing all the bees, which is a very serious problem, as they pollinate... pretty much everything. This is just one example of many.

To quote Robert J. Oppenheimer: "It is perfectly obvious that the whole world is going to hell. The only possible chance that it might not is that we do not attempt to prevent it from doing so."

Realize that you cant' do anything to stop it, and then you get all sorts of energy to do things that can be done.

Howell

Evan27

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Re: Helping People vs Realizing that the world is hardcase, life is perfect as i

What sucks about our society is that everyone is just waiting for an opportunity to knock you down or get ahead. Yeah, I'll give you that some good people are out there that try to actually help yet it's similar to the Rhianna lyrics "don't you mistake my kindness for weakness". Letting your gaurd down will only get you burned, and I fully see how this could be mistaken as a mindset for bitterness, but it's really not. The house always wins, so they say, but play the cards you got and go from there. There is hope for a better future but you gotta earn it, and it is usually done the "hardcase" way

trashKENNUT

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man

Do you guys think the world is a hardcase?

If i am annoyed, the answer is 99% yes, but it is mostly my fault. It's like using a torchlight to find vampires. Wrong way to do things. LOLX

Zac

>