Party Girl (Not)

Korvager

Space Monkey
space monkey
Hey guys

I've read a few articles about party girls and the pitfalls of dating them. My current girlfriend is not one of these girls. However, recently some of her girlfriends asked her to go clubbing with them. In all fairness I should mention that they want to go to a gay strip club, but there is a traditional "club" part of it which I'm not certain is gay or not. I don't really know if I"m supposed to be opposed to it or not. Should I address this at all with her? Or should I not be batting my eyes at all?

-K

Franco

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Korvager,

Best practice here is to not bat an eyelash.

You should never act concerned about your girlfriend going out; that only hurts you more than it helps you. All you can really do is let her do what she wants, and if you feel like she's still in love with you despite this, then it's likely safe to stay with her.

The only thing to watch out for is if she suddenly starts skipping hanging out with you to "go out with the girls." This is usually a red flag worth noting, and you can take action at this point if you feel like you need to.

- Franco

Hector Papi Castillo

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Just a small note.

Most guys who are "gay" aren't gay, they're bi-sexual. If it feels good, they'll fuck a chick.

Also, a decent amount of straight guys go to gay clubs. First time I went to one I fucked a chick. I wouldn't consider a gay club any more "safe" than a straight club, to be honest. But as Franco pointed out, you shouldn't be concerned or worried. That will only hurt you.

If dating a party girl is something you don't want her to do, then tell her that she can do what she wants but a girl who parties isn't exactly what you were looking for. Also, a girl who occasionally heads to a club with friends or a bar isn't a "party girl," really. If she only goes out every couple of months, probably okay. If she's heading to bars/clubs every few weeks, flying to Atlantic City and Vegas all the time, well, that's a party girl. But, then again, getting upset won't help you, you just need to decide whether or not you want to date her.

And if a chick cheats on you, you end it and walk away. Not easy, but simple.

Hector

Zaxxon23

Space Monkey
space monkey
Franco said:
The only thing to watch out for is if she suddenly starts skipping hanging out with you to "go out with the girls." This is usually a red flag worth noting, and you can take action at this point if you feel like you need to.

How would you address this with her?

Franco

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Zaxxon23,

Zaxxon23 said:
Franco said:

Ideally, you'd never find yourself in a situation where your girlfriend is attempting to skip time to hang out with you to hang out with the girls instead. It means you've already messed up somewhere in managing the relationship, and she's not putting "spend time with my boyfriend" as a priority over "spend time with the girls."

You can attempt to address it directly and call her out on it, but that also might just result in pouring salt on the wound -- it depends on her personality. Instead, you want to run the relationship in a way where she views you as the stronger, dominant man so that she doesn't feel the need to do this to you.

So the real answer here is, "set the correct precedent from the beginning by running the relationship correctly."

- Franco

Smith

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Zaxxon,

My ex was just like ur girl. She was never a party girl, but started to go out more with her "clubbing friends", like once every few weeks. And because we were doing long distance, she would rather go out than skype with me sometimes, and like fRanco said, that's a huge red flag. I sensed it and broke up with her. What I should have done though is what Hector said...don't let it bother you, it's a simple decision whether you want to keep date her or not. Thinking about the past does not help you make that decision. I probably really should've ended it a couple months earlier instead of letting it drag on. If you're not happy with her going out too often, maybe it's time to talk to her openly. Chances are the ship has already sunk. All the best!

Zaxxon23

Space Monkey
space monkey
Franco said:
Zaxxon23,

Zaxxon23 said:
Franco said:

Ideally, you'd never find yourself in a situation where your girlfriend is attempting to skip time to hang out with you to hang out with the girls instead. It means you've already messed up somewhere in managing the relationship, and she's not putting "spend time with my boyfriend" as a priority over "spend time with the girls."

You can attempt to address it directly and call her out on it, but that also might just result in pouring salt on the wound -- it depends on her personality. Instead, you want to run the relationship in a way where she views you as the stronger, dominant man so that she doesn't feel the need to do this to you.

So the real answer here is, "set the correct precedent from the beginning by running the relationship correctly."

- Franco

Yes, however it's not always as cut and dried. In the situation I've found myself in...the girl is a single mom, 40 years old, more than half her time is staying at home with her kid, and the other less than half of the time she's developed over the past three years as spending time with her girlfriends as part of getting over a 10-year relationship that failed. So when she goes out I don't feel that she's being manipulative or malevolent...rather that she already had a life before meeting me and she is understandably having a tough time just ditching that life to be with a guy she's only known a few months. Truth be told she's consistently given me more than half of her available free time on a regular basis, so she's clearly making appropriate investments to be with me.

That being said, she spends a significant portion of the free time she has at bars. Her framing of it is as spending time with the girlfriends, and truth be told I actually believe her. From everything I've seen through time hanging out with her at the bar to her facebook updates, and everything else I see, she really is consistently spending time with the same girlfriends, primarily talking about girl things (problems at work, boyfriend stuff, mom stuff, generally girly chitchat), and not out there to "party" or hookup, but just to hang with friends away from home. It's just that it's done at a bar, which is really common here in Dallas, particularly since most every bar is also a restaurant since there used to actually be a law that over 40% of sales from a bar in DFW were required to be food sales, thus the really heavy bar culture here.

So I'm finding it very tough to come to grips with the situation considering all the warnings here on GC about dating girls who drink (and truth be told she is indeed a drinker...not heavy but daily). I trust her, I just don't trust where she hangs out. And having enough experience picking up girls with boyfriends and husbands, there's no way I can ever truly trust her to remain faithful when she's under the influence at a bar, with horny guys around, and with a few of her girlfriends (one in particular) who are much more condusive to flirting and hookups.

In respect to the question I asked earlier, there was one night in particular that she consistently flaked on, and it was a somewhat complicated situation. On this specific day (Tuesdays), she works all day, then has a few hours free, then has to work overnight for change control (an IT thing); and found over time that she'd rather just have a few drinks and talk for a bit with her friends rather than be with me and likely engage in sex (which with me is a fairly big investment for lots of girls as I tend to go real long and am rather big so it's more like exercise for them sometimes lol). So while it's understandable that this wasn't a good night to her, I did take offense at the flaking as I feel that I should since the flaking is disrespectful even if her reasons for doing so are fairly understandable. And what makes this challenging is that she doesn't want me involved with her child (which I fully support) until we've been together longer, and since she always has her kid on Mondays and Thursdays, and every other weekend, it creates this huge challenge where she's consistently flaking on our one free night to get together during the week (Wednesdays she has always hung out with the same friend as that's their only night they can meet).

Anyways, this whole thing caused a serious strain in our relationship and we're on a break now because of it. I'm finding myself at a bit of a crisis point because due to my work schedule bars tend to be one of the few places I can reliably find women at (I really need to do some more weekend day game), and with the bar culture here in Dallas I find myself wondering if it's really as cut and dried as "don't date a girl who drinks or goes to the bars". I in fact want a girl I can go to bars with for fun, live music, and socializing. But it seems the tradeoff to that is those girls also tend to have girlfriends who also go to the bars together, and that creates hookup possibilities I don't like. So it's like I want my cake and to eat it too. Seems like I can't win here lest I become controlling, and that's as good a way to lose a girl as anything. And on the other hand I can't in good conscience let my girl go out to the bars alone lest I appear weak by allowing her to engage in activities that create unnecessary temptations to cheat. Not to mention it frankly makes me jealous as fuck if she's out there at a bar without me late at night. I despise feeling jealous but given my experience there's just no way I can't feel jealous if she's out there at a bar late at night even if it is likely innocent.

What to do? Is it just simply not possible to date this kind of woman without forcing her to give up the lifestyle she's accustomed to? Or just to not even date these girls in the first place (and thus remove a significant portion of the dating pool from consideration)? I do tend to be a one girl at a time sort of guy, so this kind of situation is really untenable for a relationship. I suppose I can fix by dating multiple girls at any one time and only doing a relationship under the condition that the nights out without me stop. But I'm curious about other thoughts. Is it possible (and healthy) to develop a medium ground for these kinds of situations? Or maybe I just need to give up on single moms altogether, although that's pretty darn tough when you get in your 40s.

Cacc

Space Monkey
space monkey
Guys,

If dating a party girl is something you don't want her to do, then tell her that she can do what she wants but a girl who parties isn't exactly what you were looking for.

I saw a thread with some high level members talking about setting rules and boundaries and what you will and will not allow in the relationship. Why should you not set a rule in this situation and instead walk away?

Fuck This

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Zaxxon,

you just have to accept that single mothers who don't put their children ahead of their love interest are not the kind of women you want a relationship with. Their kids are reminders that they invested their life and their body in a 10 year relationship that didn't work. They are constantly judged, and often quite harshly, for what kind of parent they are by their parents and friends.

The way I see it, her spending time having girl talk with her friends takes the emotional support load off you. She can bitch about her period , her boss, her bratty kids to them, and you then provide an escape from that with fun adventures and a great roll in the hay. Don't get needy and fuck up a great weekend lay by bitching about one weekday night. Also figure out what value you bring to the relationship. Hey she still has options. Why are YOU her best one?

You are going to have to pass muster with the girlfriends before you meet the kids. So accept that reality or go older with the women you meet with grown up kids, or have fun figuring out the childless 30 year olds and why they didn't get locked down and impregnated in her twenties.

Bboy100

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
In addition to what everyone else said, I'd like to point out that you've read the articles on this site. But it sounds like you personally don't have much experience dating party girls and therefore don't even know weather or not you're okay with dating one. You just assume Chase and a few other's experience to be law. Sure, keep their advice in mind. But I recommend trying it anyways at least once. For you personally, the pros might outweigh the cons. You never know. But what we do know is that as long as you're introspective, you'll come out of the relationship a stronger man. Regardless of if/how it ends.

Also, I just want to reiterate what everyone else said. You're not her mom. You're not her boss. If she's the kinda girl who really wants to go out and party all the time. She's gonna do it with or without your approval. The only thing you're gonna do by trying to stop her is erode trust & her respect for you in the relationship. Conversely, if you saying "no, you can't go out" is enough to stop her, she's not really that much of a party girl in the first place, and you therefore have no need to worry about all the pitfalls of dating one in the first place.

Korvager

Space Monkey
space monkey
It's been a while since I posted this so I only just got around to reading all the replies guys. Lots of great advice here. Although maybe some of it a bit conflicting (ignore it vs make it clear what your boundaries are).

Thankfully for me the situation never ended up happening but pretty soon it will. Will stating my view on the topic just cause her to agree out of feeling controlled? Which I assume would lead to resentment and acting out in defiance and lying and going out and doing it anyways? I'm still a little bit unsure on the course of action to take. I trust my girl and feel that I have a solid power position in the relationship, and usually her behavior reflects it, however I do not trust her with alcohol in her system. Should I make my feelings clear so as to remove the chances of stupid alcohol related incidents happening?

Thanks guys,
Korvager

Hector Papi Castillo

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
? I'm still a little bit unsure on the course of action to take. I trust my girl and feel that I have a solid power position in the relationship, and usually her behavior reflects it, however I do not trust her with alcohol in her system. Should I make my feelings clear so as to remove the chances of stupid alcohol related incidents happening?

You can make minor changes in a girl, but they happen slowly and take care. I highly advise not letting her know that you're worried about her behavior. Instead, you tell a girl things like, "I don't date girls who drink." It's a challenge and she can live up to it or face romantic extinction.

But if it's anything more than moderate drinking, you might get some good results at first, but women usually default to their nature. The younger, the more impressionable.

I'd advise simply not dating a girl who parties all that much.

Hector

>