Travel  Moving to London

Hector Papi Castillo

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Hey guys,

I have traveler's blood in me. I must satiate it. So I'll be moving to London later this year with a friend of mine (the guy I wrote the Wildcard article about; even if he bails, I'm still going). For those of you who live in London or have traveled there, your wisdom would be appreciated (and if we met up, I'd buy you some din-din in appreciation or go out and smash some bitties with you).

I want to be as central as possible, but of course, the more central you go, the more $ you need. What neighborhoods are best for a 23 year old writer who likes to go out and pickup high society bitches, day and night? I'd probably work in a fine dining restaurant or a pub/club part-time.

Food and Water

I don't drink alcohol except when offered a shot or a beer to not be rude. This loosens my budget. Also, water is free;) Of course, I still eat food, so I'm curious how much a week of groceries costs and if that differs in areas (when I cook, I cook paleo - meat, vegetables, fruit; that's it). Average cost of a lunch or diner at a normal restaurant (I'll eat whatever when out)?

Transportation

I won't have a car and won't plan on buying one (considering a motorcycle down the road). How much does a train pass cost or bus pass? Do they differ between areas?

I'll be doing shit-tons of research but any help would be appreciated.

Any guys in the UK, feel free to PM me and we'll trade knowledge.

- Hector

Wick

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Anatman said:
Hey guys,

I have traveler's blood in me. I must satiate it. So I'll be moving to London later this year...

Yeah it's the traveler's blood. Nothing to do with the promise of nice girls saying dirty things in exotically proper accents.;}

You may already know about couchsurfing.com, but you might find it useful for meeting locals who are open to and experienced in helping newbies to their city find their way.

You might also like the app HelloTalk. Its a language exchange app (excellent one at that) and you can search for people by language, country, city, etc. People are generally open to helping out because of the nature of the app.

Good luck :}

killerman

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Hey Hector, you arrived in London yet? If you have, let me know and we can go game together and have a fuckin blast ;-)

As for how much money you need.

Rent - Gumtree is a good place to look at. London is generally expensive as fuck but you can rent out a bedroom in a shared house an hour's walk from central for £400 - £500 and one bedroom flat can cost between £1350 and £1700. As you go further central the prices go up even more as you know.

Bus and underground expenses - Underground is more expensive than bus. All day return tickets cost about £6.50 (I think) As for bus a single bus fare costs £1.50. Here's a website which can help you out and knows more than I do: http://www.toptiplondon.com/transport/t ... us-tickets

Hector Papi Castillo

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Yoyo,

I'm actually living in another European country now :D But I do plan on visiting England after I get some money (hopefully after I publish the college game book - just finished the rough draft of the first third! Editing now).

Hector

>