Health  Correcting Posture While Cutting?

Hue

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Sup guys.

I realized while attempting to bulk that some of my supporting muscles might not be at enough strength to bulk properly while minimizing risk of injury. I was able to lift more than I expected in 2 months (though this is too short of time period to actually bulk) before I started getting concerns. One way to make sure supporting muscles are where they need to be is to keep great posture as you do exercises, from what I've heard here and there.

So, I think that I should cut first, properly, and make sure my supporting muscles are up to par before going back to bulking.

I surfed bodybuilding.com for some advice, but couldn't find anything beyond, "have good posture" and "muscles can get stronger without adding mass". My specific (most observable) issue is my shoulders are bent forward too much, but I try to think "shoulders back, back / neck straight" when ever I'm walking / working. I'm looking for workouts that are good at really getting at these muscles and starting with super low weight.

Do you guys have any familiarity with the subject, or somewhere to direct in building a workout routine? I planned on doing a 2-3 month cut while eating high protein to not lose much (if any) muscle.

Cheers,

Hue

Marcel

Space Monkey
space monkey
Look up bridging exercises. Bridging over time will strengthen your spinal erectors and your hip flexors, which will in turn improve your posture.

Paul Wade (calisthenics guru, author of Convict Conditioning) swears by it, going so far as to say that if anyone were to do just one of the exercises in his programs, he'd tell them to do bridges.

Marcel

Space Monkey
space monkey
I can also personally attest to the benefits of bridging, as I wrestled back in high school and I still do calisthenics regularly.

Parkour

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Face pulls, reverse crunches, and general back.back of shoulder exercises like rows and reverse flys help. Deadlifts help. Squats help. Rolling on a foam roaler and stretching helps.
I bought a basic posture harness on Amazon that i will wear under a dress shirt at work just to pull shoulders back and train me to move without pulling my shoulders to my chest. Also, stop hunching over a screen or phone as much and be sure to stand up straight in between. Correcting posture is like wearjng braces. It takes a long time of consistent tension/correction to solidify the result and you’ll have maintenance (like a retainer) to do forever.

>