The Tiny House (Minimalist)

Ross

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Just something that's been floating about in my head and thought I'd give it a share. Behold, the tiny house!

Now, I wouldn't really call myself a continuous proponent of the simple living line-of-thought, but a tiny house makes me giddy.

I grew up in a 3,000 sq ft home with so much space that my entire family grew up separated. In addition to the physical separation from within the home, we never spent any time together outside the home because my parents didn't have the finances for it. We had a grand total of three family vacations my entire time growing up. Put me in a depressed mood quite often because I was alone so often and lacked the social skills to correct it.

Then, I head off to college and lived in a dorm room with a roommate. About the same square footage as a tiny home. That was a turning point in my life in many ways (hit a stride with women, had tons of fun with other people, and learned a lot about life in general), and it would not have been the same if I didn't have such tight living quarters.

My roommate and I became best friends, spent most of our free time together, and overall just had an awesome time. This was achieved mainly because we were forced to be around each other. But was this time spent in our room? Hell no! However, we met up there when neither of us had much going on and decided to do things.

I think that most living situations outside college tend to overcomplicate what a home really needs to be used for. For me, it comes down to the following necessities for a home:
- Place to sleep
- Place to work (writing, school)
- Place to seduce women
- Place to prepare/eat food
- Place to clean myself/get dressed
- Place to read, watch a movie, and/or play a game (entertainment)

That's it. I don't do much more in my living space than the above, therefore it makes sense to minimize the space I'm doing that in so that I can not only cut down on costs, but also to cut down on upkeep time. Everything else is better suited for going outside the home.

This all leads me to wonder why in the world anybody would purchase a 3000 sq ft behemoth. Right now I'm living in a 875 sq ft apartment with another person, and it still feels like way too much as we hardly use a lot of the space.

I plan on transitioning to a tiny/small sized house in the next few years. They cost between $15,000 to $80,000 to make, with an average around $25,000. My hope/dream is to build one on my own on a decently sized piece of land. Just need to seduce a woman who's an architect so she can help me out on that ;).

Dirty dagger

Space Monkey
space monkey
While looking for a small (380 sq ft) block of flats house I noticed importance of house design. Badly designed 380 sq ft apartment can easily feel small while 320 sq ft apartment looks spacey good.

Currently I live in my own 220 sq ft apartment in two floor block of flats. Kitchen, washroom and closets are placed extremely efficiently in first part of my house. Second part is a 38x40 ft space that can be freely furnished. Third part is a balcony.

House has all the typical luxuries except a dishwasher. Some strange compromises were made to include all the machines. My refrigerator is now in end of my bed since I switched to a taller model. That makes sense since I can keep stuff on top of it and take a beer while hanging on my bed. In place of my old refrigerator I have a rack for a microwave oven and some much needed extra space.

Having limited amount of space I'm forced to make compact furnish decisions. All doors in my apartment have barely the space to open. Items must be bought with strict size policies in mind. It's also important to take care that my place doesn't look packed. There is still a good amount of space in middle of my living room. None of my stuff looks like it's forced to fit in my house.

All the vertical space is well utilized. Closets are very tall and fortunately I'm a tall person myself. In fact I would not recommend this house for a short person.

White color and mirrors add to feeling of space. I like dark too and have lots of dark items. My carpet nicely combines all the darkens and whiteness in my room. Even though my mattress is dark it looks bright because my wooden floor is even darker.

Loving my apartment. Still I'm jealous to people who have a separate bedroom. There's no way I can arrange a Feng Shui bedroom discussed in https://boards.girlschase.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=4856 without a separate bedroom.

>