How Big a Deal is Location?

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
Brief note on this, arising out of the aborted thread Altair started (then derailed himself by making it some kind of Race War).

How big a difference does your location make on your results with girls?

It's actually quite bit. I discussed this to some extent on the main site here: "Meet Women More Easily: Location" and here: "How and Where to Move Overseas as a Single Man."

Small towns are more conservative. They're also more social circle oriented. The smaller your town, the more you've got to either be a top dog in the social circle, or well-established as both SUPER sexy and SUPER discreet. The former will get you girlfriends; the latter, hook ups. Without either, you'll have a tough time of it.

The bigger the town gets, the more you need cold approach and the more anonymous game comes into play, because you meet more and more strangers you share no social ties with and probably never will. You can shag a girl you just met on a park bench and she won't worry too much about it because you don't know anyone she knows and it will never get back to anyone. Try that in a small town and she's a lot more inclined to say no (unless, again, you're the super sexy, super discreet guy... or you're just passing through, not from there, and will never come back there again).

If you're living in a smaller town, I recommend moving to a big, dense city at least until you learn game. Small towns are good for raising families in, but not for picking up in. Your options for dating are limited, and it's very difficult to get enough practice in to noticeably upgrade yourself.

On the other hand, that also means that guys in small towns tend to have pretty bad game, and girls in small towns have lower walls to your approach. If you take some city game you developed over the course of a few years living in urban environments and move back to a small town for a while, you will usually clean up, because you so far outclass the other men there it isn't even close.

Things vary city-by-city as well. For instance, it's much easier to get laid in Washington, DC than it is in San Diego, CA. Yet, it's easier than DC in New York City, and harder than San Diego in La Jolla, the smaller, upscale town just north of SD. The smaller the place is, the more cliquish it tends to be, and the ratio of attractive single males to attractive single females also plays a big role.

At the same time, if you can't approach at ALL, changing cities will not magically get you a girlfriend. Think of changing locations if you're new as a way of giving yourself more women to meet. But if you never go out to meet women, it doesn't matter where you are, it's still going to suck.

If you've already got some game, changing cities makes a much bigger difference, because you can either head somewhere harder that will force you to step up your game, or you can go somewhere easier that will allow you to multiply your results with the same level of game you already have. Again, you must already have game to enjoy these benefits.

Should you change cities? If your town is so small that you don't see random attractive women on the street or in malls or at bars you can approach, then definitely yes. If there are still some, I'd suggest you get familiar approaching these women FIRST (and post plenty of field reports), and once you've got an idea about what the women in your town are like, then you can try somewhere else. At that point, you'll have a benchmark to judge against.

ON ILL-INFORMED OPINIONS:

Something to be very wary of: I used to catch myself doing this - I'd travel to some city, go out once or twice, only talk to a handful of women, and form an opinion about the place off of that. If I got laid or got close, the place was "not bad", "pretty good", or "awesome"; if I failed to, the place was "crap" or a "waste of time". It took me a fair bit of traveling before I realized I was doing this. But due to the HIGHLY asymmetric returns of pickup, UNTIL YOU HAVE APPROACHED 200+ WOMEN ACROSS 2+ MONTHS IN A GIVEN TOWN, you don't know anything about it. Nothing. So don't kid yourself into thinking you have a valid opinion on what the dating scene looks like in that city, and don't believe your emotions when they try to tell you it's "awesome" or "crap" based off a handful of experiences.

In fact, I realized I used to think my hometown was crap for picking up without ever having done any approaching there. One day while visiting family I went out and did some approaches and my impression immediately changed.

My impressions of every city I've stayed in any length of time have been drastically different after several months and several hundred approaches than they were on first arrival. Towns that I thought were crappy because I didn't get laid at first have ended up becoming favorite towns because once I figured them out they were exceptional for girls, whereas other towns that I thought were amazing at first have turned out sometimes to never quite live up to that initial impression when I stayed on; the smaller the sample size of the number of approaches you've done in a place, the larger a chance luck plays and the less accurate your impression will be. Get good data before you let yourself come to any conclusions.

Chase

Indian Race Troll (IRT)

Rookie
Rookie
Wow, thanks for the post Chase. I am going through some mental problems right now because I have tried but keep coming up short. Approaching women has rarely been an issue for me in the past years thanks in part to PUA (mainly watching Simple Pickup do it no issues lol!). My problem has been the social circles and such because I have a tough time getting into one.

I hate to start a race war here but this is something I have picked up on in my readings. You see, being a very different looking guy who has a preference for white american girls I know that my appearance will be an issue. A city I have been told by many to stay away from is Toronto and people have told me a lot of bad things about the dating culture there, mainly the racism and how powerful it is towards a middle eastern guy (and asians and indians too).

What I am wondering is, how do I exactly approach my particular situation?

All in all, I joined this site because I want to date attractive american girls (no preference in hair color either) particularly those that are young like I am but I have not seen any results with them and it has frustrated me. In my given area, it isn't just some small town, its a smaller kind of town in a pretty backwards part of the nation which I tried to tell Estate about. I understand he faces his own struggles, we ALL do which is why we even came here in the first place but to the strangers who haven't seen him talk he is another white guy while I am some foreigner who they wonder about.

Over the years I have spent time

- hitting the gym
- reading game material
- approaching women
- getting comfortable talking to girls
- making friends and being more social

Yet I am not getting the results I want to get and came here for which has been the cause of my frustration. Also want to take this time to apologize to both Estate and Zphix for my outburst, I guess being frustrated does that to you. It takes control of you for a short time and makes you into someone you are not.

What gets me even more irritated is that when I read the post on your site about American girls, I heard that they hate arabian looking men. Now I know Colt sugar coated it but I know the stigma in this day and age is powerful yet I feel so lonely.

It is like I feel no one can really talk to me or give me an idea of how to achieve my goal. I haven't had a role model in my life or even seen an American girl that is young and attractive with an arabian looking guy so I get kinda frustrated and feel helpless in my situation.

I just want to really know where in the US it would be common to see a guy that would be considered "foreign" to date american girls that happen to be attractive. See I know the middle eastern population here is not that large so I was thinking of groups that might also have that swarthy look (latinos have it for sure) dating women that are attractive and american because I know for a fact that if I cannot do well there, it is my issue.

Franco has recommended San Diego but it is so fucking expensive compared to the rest of the country and I was looking somewhere on the east coast or midwest, heck even a city in the south.

I know I have been kind of a dick lately but the fact is I am frustrated and feel helpless about my situation....

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
Altair-

Altair said:
A city I have been told by many to stay away from is Toronto and people have told me a lot of bad things about the dating culture there, mainly the racism and how powerful it is towards a middle eastern guy (and asians and indians too).

I suspect it's just a hard environment in general. Erik von Markovick (Mystery) and a bunch of other pickup artists came out of Toronto originally, and there's a very active pickup lair there. Erik is tall, white, and attractive, everything minority guys point to as being the thing that all white girls want, yet it took him until age 26 before he ever got laid (at which point, someone focused on race will just pivot his argument: "Yeah, but, but, well, that's probably because of some other reason..." which totally ignores his initial argument that these things are things white girls stab each other in the face to get in a man). That's generally a strong sign that a particular city is not very favorable for meeting women (if it's a big city and there's an active pickup community in it... e.g., you'll meet few pick up artists from NYC, but the ones you will are often focused on very direct, sexual game for fast sex and they rack up numbers like crazy, while guys like Mystery in Toronto are trying to fly under the radar to eke out a dating life).

Personally, I've never visited Toronto and don't have any plans to. Everyone I've known who's lived there has reported it being terrible for girls.

Altair said:
In my given area, it isn't just some small town, its a smaller kind of town in a pretty backwards part of the nation which I tried to tell Estate about. I understand he faces his own struggles, we ALL do which is why we even came here in the first place but to the strangers who haven't seen him talk he is another white guy while I am some foreigner who they wonder about.

The smaller the town, the more minor issues get amplified.

Women are forced to behave more conservatively in small towns. Imagine a white guy traveling to the Middle East and him trying to get laid in Dubai vs. him trying to get laid in some little Arab village. Same deal in reverse. Or imagine an Arab guy trying to get laid in Dubai vs. a small Arab town. Or imagine a white guy trying to get laid in NYC vs. some small Southern town. It's gets (logarithmically?) more difficult the smaller the town is and the more conservative the society. Racial issues get amplified, yes, and so does everything else (playboys get held in especially poor esteem).

Go to Manila and you will have the easiest time in your life getting laid with the locals. Then go to Boracay - same country, both in the Philippines - and discover how impossible it is to sleep with any of the locals. Main reason? The actual local population is tiny, everyone knows everybody else, and if they so much as see a girl talking to a foreigner everyone's going to find out and her reputation will take a big hit. So you can only either sleep with tourists or sleep with hookers when you're in Boracay, even though sex with locals is like drinking water when you're in Manila.

Altair said:
Also want to take this time to apologize to both Estate and Zphix for my outburst, I guess being frustrated does that to you. It takes control of you for a short time and makes you into someone you are not.

I understand. I'd encourage you to PM both guys and let them know this regardless, just in case they didn't see it. That'll probably incline both of them to want to help you a lot more, too.

Altair said:
What gets me even more irritated is that when I read the post on your site about American girls, I heard that they hate arabian looking men. Now I know Colt sugar coated it but I know the stigma in this day and age is powerful yet I feel so lonely.

Maybe. Depends on the girl. My wingman in Washington, DC was Arabic and he picked up more white girls and blondes than I did. I had Arabic students in San Diego I taught one-on-one who did very well for themselves. One of our more senior members on this board is an Arabic guy living in a big East Coast city who's been getting laid quite well lately with white girls, though I don't know if he's talked publicly about race on here and I don't want to out him if he's trying to ignore that aspect (though he did mention when we talked for a case study call that he used to have self-esteem issues about being Arabic and think he couldn't get white girls too).

Altair said:
I just want to really know where in the US it would be common to see a guy that would be considered "foreign" to date american girls that happen to be attractive. See I know the middle eastern population here is not that large so I was thinking of groups that might also have that swarthy look (latinos have it for sure) dating women that are attractive and american because I know for a fact that if I cannot do well there, it is my issue.

Almost any big city. DC, NYC, Los Angeles are all safe bets for this. Chicago probably is, but that's one I haven't hit yet. Philly is very multicultural, and some of the most beautiful black girls you'll see in the US. White women there tend to be more open to multicultural dating, but it's also rated as having some of the ugliest people in the US (though, still plenty of lookers there in my opinion). Miami is probably also good for this. Austin may be worth a shot. I'd suggest spending a few weeks in any city that's of interest and getting out as much as possible and meeting as many people as possible before deciding if you want to move there on a longer-term basis.

Altair said:
Franco has recommended San Diego but it is so fucking expensive compared to the rest of the country and I was looking somewhere on the east coast or midwest, heck even a city in the south.

I'd go against Franco here and recommend against it for a guy who's starting out and who's having trouble with mainstream American girls. San Diego's a lot whiter than most American towns, and it's very mainstream. I had to make some major adjustments to my game to do well there, and I already had a few thousand approaches under my belt and plenty of SNLs and first- and second-date lays at that point. San Diego also has a poor females-to-males ratio compared to East Coast cities; women are a lot choosier, which forces you to be a lot more on-point in all categories to do as well there as you would somewhere else. It's a great training ground, but I probably wouldn't recommend it until you're intermediate or so at pickup (can sleep with a few new girls a month in most cities if you try).

Another friend I recently had move from San Diego to DC agreed with me that California is hard for dating, and going from California from DC made things very noticeably easier for him.

If expenses are an issue, perhaps a less expensive town like Philly or Austin is a good choice. Chicago and Seattle may also be worth considering in that list too. Milwaukee is one I really enjoy, and the people there seem quite laid back, which usually says good things for how choosy they are sexually, but I don't have enough data points on non-white guys in that city so you'd have to go explore for yourself.

Altair said:
I know I have been kind of a dick lately but the fact is I am frustrated and feel helpless about my situation....

I get it. I realize it's frustrating. However, be wary of pointing at one specific thing and saying, "This! THIS is the reason why I'm not getting laid!" because the truth is, you never have any way of knowing exactly what it is for certain until you actually ARE getting laid and can look at your current interactions and your past interactions and say, "Okay, here's what's changed." I'd also be extremely wary of trying to finger a specific thing as the cause of your woes when you're still a beginner, too - I've seen enough very successful men from every race that I know better now than to ever hang anything on race. It does play a part, but it's extremely difficult to tease out from other issues, and most men who don't succeed try to hang it all on race and end up never succeeding because they finger something that they cannot adjust. As a frame of reference on this point, I'd recommend Jerome's article on Asian guys and white girls:

Asian Guys and White Girls: The Secret to Success

If you read the comments, there's an interesting mix between hopeful guys saying "Thanks", successful guys saying, "Listen to this dude, he knows what he's talking about", and fatalistic guys saying "This guy's talking nonsense, being Asian is a dealbreaker and white girls just don't want you."

I will tell you from experience training lots of guys of every race that the men in the first two groups will go on to sleep with lots of whatever kinds of girls they want, while the men in the last group will sleep with few or none. Focus on how you can do something despite whatever disadvantages you have, and you will find the way; focus on how difficult it is for you to do something because of disadvantages you have that you cannot change, and you will never find a way... because you're too busy thinking about how you CAN'T instead of how you CAN.

Make the switch to "How CAN I?" instead of "Here's why I CAN'T" and you will see immediate, tremendous benefits.

Chase

Franco

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Altair,

If expenses are an issue, perhaps a less expensive town like Philly or Austin is a good choice. Chicago and Seattle may also be worth considering in that list too.

Not to derail Chase's main points here, but my roommate just visited Austin and said it was flooded with attractive white women at the bars. I've actually always wanted to visit and check out cities in Texas (like Austin) because I've dated a couple of girls from Texas, and they were some of the most attractive (American-looking) women I've ever dated. Both of them were also very fun and down to Earth.

Also, Fuji Follower (a Korean-American on the boards) has already made several posts after having an extremely difficult time with white girls in Lousiana and then moving to Seattle and being blown away by all the white girls dating interracially there. He also said he found success with women there as well.

I'd go against Franco here and recommend against it for a guy who's starting out and who's having trouble with mainstream American girls. San Diego's a lot whiter than most American towns, and it's very mainstream. I had to make some major adjustments to my game to do well there, and I already had a few thousand approaches under my belt and plenty of SNLs and first- and second-date lays at that point. San Diego also has a poor females-to-males ratio compared to East Coast cities; women are a lot choosier, which forces you to be a lot more on-point in all categories to do as well there as you would somewhere else. It's a great training ground, but I probably wouldn't recommend it until you're intermediate or so at pickup (can sleep with a few new girls a month in most cities if you try).

This is true. San Diego is not for the faint of heart. While you can see success here as any race, you also need to have outstanding game because a LOT of guys here are naturals. You'll be competing against some of the best in the business. At the same time, there are hoards of beautiful girls (of all types, including white) everywhere. So I'd say it's a great place to go once you feel comfortable with gaming girls and taking them to bed but then are looking to take your game up a notch. It's not a beginner's zone by any means.

Hope this helps, Altair.

- Franco

Grand Pooba

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Chase said:
Altair wrote:What gets me even more irritated is that when I read the post on your site about American girls, I heard that they hate arabian looking men. Now I know Colt sugar coated it but I know the stigma in this day and age is powerful yet I feel so lonely.

Maybe. Depends on the girl. My wingman in Washington, DC was Arabic and he picked up more white girls and blondes than I did. I had Arabic students in San Diego I taught one-on-one who did very well for themselves. One of our more senior members on this board is an Arabic guy living in a big East Coast city who's been getting laid quite well lately with white girls, though I don't know if he's talked publicly about race on here and I don't want to out him if he's trying to ignore that aspect (though he did mention when we talked for a case study call that he used to have self-esteem issues about being Arabic and think he couldn't get white girls too).

Altair wrote:I just want to really know where in the US it would be common to see a guy that would be considered "foreign" to date american girls that happen to be attractive. See I know the middle eastern population here is not that large so I was thinking of groups that might also have that swarthy look (latinos have it for sure) dating women that are attractive and american because I know for a fact that if I cannot do well there, it is my issue.

Almost any big city. DC, NYC, Los Angeles are all safe bets for this. Chicago probably is, but that's one I haven't hit yet. Philly is very multicultural, and some of the most beautiful black girls you'll see in the US. White women there tend to be more open to multicultural dating, but it's also rated as having some of the ugliest people in the US (though, still plenty of lookers there in my opinion). Miami is probably also good for this. Austin may be worth a shot. I'd suggest spending a few weeks in any city that's of interest and getting out as much as possible and meeting as many people as possible before deciding if you want to move there on a longer-term basis.

Don't mean to derail Chase's thread, just thought I would add a few things:

As a 20 something Pakistani guy living in a major East Coast city and traveling throughout, I've had tremendous success since the year began with attractive white, American women, among others as well. My current GF is a cute American dirty blonde, 5'1" and 100lbs, and it's hard for us to go out on the town without getting attention in some way, or thumbs up my way, or her getting hit on while she's with me. I've never experienced this before, to be honest. The point is though that in progressive large cities, it's more your presentation and demeanor that attracts every kind of women, rather than your race and stereotypes. You have to internalize that even though stereotypes may exist, you can also present yourself in a way that breaks people's stereotypes of your culture, and thus you come across as a more interesting and unique person. "He seems different than what I've heard...and he's interesting...I want to get to know him." This is also where screening and polarization is a very useful tool: for every women of a particular race that isn't into you for whatever reason, I'd say that you can also find one that is, as in these big cities the women are more independent, open minded and far less concerned with social stigmas. As I got to know my girlfriend, I learned that she has a thing for brown guys and Indian culture tracing back to how she was raised in her family, yet she's also very open minded, educated, ambitious, and also quite progressive, so to speak...so guess where I fit the bill as an attractive man in her mind?

I can attest to New York City, the Washington DC area, and Austin, Texas being great places for dating outside of your own culture.

Rage

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Altair said:

I'm a guy that's middle-eastern/Indian-ish descent and have lived in Los Angeles all my life (though I have less than 200 approaches under my belt, I'd say I'm somewhere in the 80-100 range). But have lived in Los Angeles all my life and have always felt that my look and ethnicity has given me a large advantage over the other guys.

I think that the advice given about finding a bigger city is very accurate.

I was always the foreigner before I was even young enough to really get a grasp on what being foreign meant. I grew up from when I was a young kid dating white and hispanic girls and always felt I had the upper hand over the other white/hipsanic guys because I was foreign (and I'd get that "oooh where are you from" and all the questions like that; sort of ridiculous because we all grew up in the U.S. but I'd always get it from curious/attracted girls nevertheless).

I've met girls through social circle and approach in smaller towns and that's where I've seen it's more of an uphill battle if you're different looking (because there's sort of an element of being different that's disliked in the smaller towns but contrarily found mysterious and novel in bigger cities). Stereotypes seem to be bigger in the smaller/poorer towns, and I'd get that more from friends and girls, "does your mom cook curry; do you worship cows"... hahaha and it would be tougher then to fit in or to attract local girls.

But big city it's just awesome with no perceptible drawbacks; I feel like I get the appeal and attraction for foreigners from women (though fundamentals and experience probably contribute partially to this) that a traveler would get without even having to have traveled here in the first place.

Good luck finding a city that works for you!

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
Whoops:

Grand Pooba said:
Chase said:
One of our more senior members on this board is an Arabic guy

As a 20 something Pakistani guy

My mistake mis-remembering you as Arabic, GP!

Chase

Indian Race Troll (IRT)

Rookie
Rookie
Had to take some time off but I am back again.

Well guys thanks for trying to help me here and actually caring, it's the most anyone has done for me in this regard. Now I have been told that I look like Adam Rodriguez (you can google him) but quite honestly I don't see guys that look like me (arabs or darker latinos) with the kind of women I am going after. I do get a lot of attention from black and asian women but quite frankly I am just not interested in them. My preference falls for girls that are american and good looking but I don't ever recall seeing a guy that looks like me with those kinds of girls, in real life that is. It's like I keep hearing about it but I don't ever see it for myself despite the traveling I have done. This creates all these thoughts and rationalizations in my head about what exactly is going on and then add to that the stereotypes I hear about Arab men and it messes with my inner game.

I have a goal in my head of me getting better at this and getting the kind of girls I like but then the rationalizations come in. I know that my game right now is weak but I keep asking myself even if I improve will I have a shot with the kind of girls I like which are american and good looking. It's like I want to watch someone who looks like me do it so I know that my foreign appearance isn't the major issue here.

How do I deal with this type of a setback? It's like a mixture of a victim's mentality along with other things going on and it is stopping me from truly growing.

RAFox

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Just an illusion.

Altair,

What I'm seeing out of your posts is that your main concern is your origin, and the prejudice that comes with it. I'm going to try and change your attitude a little!

Just this: It does NOT MATTER, the slightest bit, where you come from, to the people you want to come in contact with--be it successful friends, or attractive females. Just try and remember this. You get your style, your fundamentals, and your social interactions handled, and I promise you, you'll be appealing to ANY person out there. It's universal.
You are an INDIVIDUAL who wants to live a certain lifestyle. Just because you were born in one particular spot on the planet, defined by imaginary borders made by mere PEOPLE like you and me, does not in any way bind you forever to it, much less limit your sheer potential of you as a human being, how you can act, who you connect with, and what you want to achieve.

Personally, I just completely ignore it, and focus on all the things I want to accomplish.

Hope I helped. Cheers!

Indian Race Troll (IRT)

Rookie
Rookie
My mentality is just stuck in limbo with this. On one hand I want to believe that if I max out my looks and keep working on my fundamentals (which aren't at their best right now) that I will get the kind of girls (attractive white girls) I like but I don't see that example before me. I have never met guys that look like me in real life getting the kind of girls I like. It's like something that seems attainable to me one second in my life and unattainable the next. Think about it, there are so many arabic, persian, pakistani, or even latinos that look like the past 3 groups out there in the US and so many attractive white girls right? Yet I don't see any photos on instagram with men of those backgrounds or even meet any men of those backgrounds in real life that are dating the kind of girls I love.

Its like I am improving and I know that my fundamentals aren't the best right now but there is that mindset barrier that keeps bothering me. Yet I have this thought even if I max out will I be able to get the kind of girls I want.

My mind keeps speculating on the fact that I don't know of any drop dead gorgeous white girls who are dating men that resemble me and that is one of my setbacks. I keep asking myself why doesn't it happen often and what if even quality men of my race are being looked down upon by the kind of women I want.

The bigger issue is that I am not that experienced with girls and haven't really gotten good at the basics. It's like I can talk to them, get their #s, and I am not scared to speak with them but I can't turn those #s into dates or lays or anything of the sort.

>