How to Network as a Business Owner

Sandman

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
I am a lawyer. I've worked at a big law firm for a year until my department was shut down. Then I focused on my thesis for my masters degree. Now I've finished it and graduated.

I am thinking of taking the next big step and opening my own practice. The biggest hurdle for a new practice is to get clients. This is what I want you guys' advice on. Everyone's input is welcome of course but if anyone has experience on the issue, of course his advice will be invaluable.

I thought we could maybe list ways to do networking and anyone else can benefit from it later on :) We can also put articles from the main blog if there is anything relevant.

I'll go first then:

1. Going to friends and relatives, letting them know you opened your own business and leaving a card.

2. Going to talks / conferences regarding your line of work and meeting people there. (if anyone has more practical knowledge of how this is done in practice, that would be great.)

3. Having a website.

4. Publishing articles.

5. Advertising on web (lawyers in Turkey can't actively advertise but whatever this list is for everyone.)

6. Talking about your work with new people you meet, at least briefly. (again more practical techniques etc. would be awesome.)

>