Problems getting a "party job" while having a career, help me Chase!!

Indian Race Troll (IRT)

Rookie
Rookie
Hi Chase and anyone on here who doesn't hate me enough to want to help me.

So I work a white collar career that is more in the financial services industry, it isn't Investment Banking hours so I get weekends to myself.

I've been trying to get a bartending gig in these recent months but I run into some issues.

1. The bars and clubs that are the fun places in the city where the party seems to go on at, they're never hiring and are never short on people wanting to work there.

2. The bars that are hiring are the kinds of bars not worth working at, the kinds of bars full of old people or chain restaurants, not conductive to really getting the lay count up.

At this point I am running into some problems, while I am more than willing to work at a bar or nightclub on the side, I can't find the opportunity and the opportunity I do find is at the boring places.

Anyone mind helping me out here?

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
Oh Pry-

Most of the guys working at #1 got their starts at #2.

Get a job at #2, work there for a bit, learn the trade, make contact in the industry, then start looking for spots at the #1 joints later.

#1 places rarely have vacancies, and when they do they look for people they're certain are not going to screw things up. Which means experienced bartenders who know how to manage crowds, keep track of multiple orders, deal with drunk and rowdy patrons, and of course know scads and scads of drink combinations. If you step into that as a newbie, you'll get crushed and spit out.

Start at the crummy places and get some experience. Then jump to a mid-tier place; the #1.5 spot. A chill dive bar that gets some cute girls. You'll be able to meet girls even at a moderate-traffic bar. You don't need to make it into the elite clubs to enjoy all the fruits of bartending.

Most guys working at the top #1 spots will have several years of bartending experience. If you talk to them, they pretty much all started out at biker bars or restaurant bars and worked their ways up. This is how you get there.

If you want to play professional sports, you play in the NCAA first. And before you get to the NCAA, you play high school sports.

Follow the progression, and you'll get to where you want to get to. Like all good things, you need to invest in the path to get full mileage out of it.

Chase

Indian Race Troll (IRT)

Rookie
Rookie
Well Chase, I am 24 so time is not on my side and by the time I actually get to your path, I will be in my 30s. All this while also focusing on a white collar job that is my full time job.

One other thing I have been thinking of, what about not going for a bartending position and just trying to get ANY job at a fun bar or nightclub? Like maybe barback or anything that has me working in that sort of a place. I don't know if nightclubs need barbacks but I would think that is one easier way to get an entry because bartending at an older people bar is a waste of time.

Couldn't bars that attract cheap college kids be a good spot to start out at?

Kvothe

Modern Human
Modern Human
Hey Oh Pry,

Check out the local bartending classes. If you're serious about doing bartending, then you might want to consider doing a course.

If not you should go with Chase's advice and start at a #2 bar. No matter what you'll need to invest something to get to the skill level that a #1 bar requires. If neither option looks appealing, then maybe you don't really want to bartend (which is okay too!) I'm reading Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck, and he makes a good point that we only have limited fucks to give, so put your focus on what you want.

Hope that helps, and good luck with getting to that #1 bar.

Disclaimer: I cannot guarantee that completing a course will get you hired by a #1 bar, but it will force you to memorize a LOT of drinks, and learn how to make them fast and not mess up.

Kvothe

Last edited:

lostnumber

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Oh Pry said:
Well Chase, I am 24 so time is not on my side and by the time I actually get to your path, I will be in my 30s. All this while also focusing on a white collar job that is my full time job.

One other thing I have been thinking of, what about not going for a bartending position and just trying to get ANY job at a fun bar or nightclub? Like maybe barback or anything that has me working in that sort of a place. I don't know if nightclubs need barbacks but I would think that is one easier way to get an entry because bartending at an older people bar is a waste of time.

Couldn't bars that attract cheap college kids be a good spot to start out at?

Oh Pry,

You started another thread on this in the off-topic thread and got similar feedback there. Based on your comments in both threads it sort of sounds like you want the end result of being a cool bartender in a popular place a without putting in any of the work to get there. The reality is that bartending is a skill like any other, and if you don't have the relevant experience and skillset you aren't going to get hired by the best places.

Once you turn 21 I would argue that time is very rarely on your side, and your primary job in life is to allocate it as best you can. If bartending is important enough to you to dedicate your time to then you can find a way to make it happen. It's not a "waste of time" to spend time improving your skillset towards something you want while making money at the same time. I have to imagine that if you are GOOD and dedicated, and make friends with the right people you could follow the path Chase outlines in 3 years. Maybe even less if you can prove your skills quickly enough and meet the right people.

My advice would be to think long and hard about how much you really want this. If you work a full-time 9-5 pursuing a second part-time career on top of that is no joke. Based on the way you talk about it, I question whether you really have the hunger or desire necessary to make it happen.

I'd love to be proven wrong though

Indian Race Troll (IRT)

Rookie
Rookie
Here is the issue.

When I read Chase's post on 7 ways to raise your lay count, it was advised that a party job does not need to be your full time job. Now the way I am reading this thread, it does seem like bartending or any job that is a party job that helps you meet and fuck hot pussy is going to be a full time job. First of all, no one wants to bartend at a spot that attracts old people and less attractive women, that defeats the purpose.

Then you are telling me that it takes years to work up to that point to the extent that I am confused about the post on raising notch count.

Fuck This

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Oh Pry said:
Here is the issue.

When I read Chase's post on 7 ways to raise your lay count, it was advised that a party job does not need to be your full time job. Now the way I am reading this thread, it does seem like bartending or any job that is a party job that helps you meet and fuck hot pussy is going to be a full time job. First of all, no one wants to bartend at a spot that attracts old people and less attractive women, that defeats the purpose.

Then you are telling me that it takes years to work up to that point to the extent that I am confused about the post on raising notch count.

You have to climb the ladder one rung at a time. Better to practice your skills with low level people who aren't your target audience. In fact this builds a diverse social circle that may be separate and let you try on personas the others don't see. YOu also learn by observing. See that 50 year old businessman who brings a different young piece of ass in every week? Observe and learn.

You could have been doing this for the last 6 months. Now get off your ass and do something rather than self sabotaging yourself....

Indian Race Troll (IRT)

Rookie
Rookie
I don't anyone really got the gist of my post.

The issue is that bartending and nightlife work was highlighted by Chase as being one of the easiest ways to raise your lay count, that is the primary reason I want to get into it. Problem is that you don't accomplish that working at a shit bar that attracts old people or a run down bar, so really, I think the post was slightly misleading and Chase could have put in some disclaimers at first.

I don't want to wait 3 years to work at some nice bar that actually has hot girls in it, it is a waste of time. I rather find a solution on what side work one can do in order to fuck a ton of hot girls, working at a bar was thrown in there by Chase.

Fuck This

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Oh Pry said:
I don't anyone really got the gist of my post.

The issue is that bartending and nightlife work was highlighted by Chase as being one of the easiest ways to raise your lay count, that is the primary reason I want to get into it. Problem is that you don't accomplish that working at a shit bar that attracts old people or a run down bar, so really, I think the post was slightly misleading and Chase could have put in some disclaimers at first.

I don't want to wait 3 years to work at some nice bar that actually has hot girls in it, it is a waste of time. I rather find a solution on what side work one can do in order to fuck a ton of hot girls, working at a bar was thrown in there by Chase.

Translation: "I just want the results without the work"

Yeah and I want to be an investment banker without taking any finance classes and I only want to work 40 hours a week.

Get over yourself.

Indian Race Troll (IRT)

Rookie
Rookie
I think you need to read Chase's post because you came into this thread with a vendetta, he specifically said this does not need to be a full time job and can be a hobby, that is a far cry when he compares this shit to pro sports and you compare it to Investment Banking.

Now if you actually bothered to read my post instead of having a meltdown on my thread, you would find that I have a full time job and want to do this shit on the side.

As anyone can see, from what I am seeing right now, I have been misled by Chase's post.

You can see where my frustration is coming from because I want to get this shit started fast and I don't see the point of wasting my time at an old people bar when my main aim is to get a party job.

lostnumber

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Oh Pry said:
I think you need to read Chase's post because you came into this thread with a vendetta, he specifically said this does not need to be a full time job and can be a hobby, that is a far cry when he compares this shit to pro sports and you compare it to Investment Banking.

Now if you actually bothered to read my post instead of having a meltdown on my thread, you would find that I have a full time job and want to do this shit on the side.

As anyone can see, from what I am seeing right now, I have been misled by Chase's post.

You can see where my frustration is coming from because I want to get this shit started fast and I don't see the point of wasting my time at an old people bar when my main aim is to get a party job.

Oh Pry,

I think the feedback you are getting on this topic is pretty consistent. I'd highly advise that you re-consider your attitude. In most things in life, you aren't going to get results if you aren't willing to put in the work. Complaining on the forums because people give you solid advice and it isn't as easy and convenient as you would like isn't an approach that will get you very far. If the cost-benefit analysis for becoming a bartender doesn't add up for you then don't do it; its that simple. Complaining because you asked a question and the founder of the site, who we all regard very highly, can't snap his fingers and give you a magical solution that doesn't involve time and effort is not going to win you many friends.

Sandman

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
If you really want to get that job so much, I don't know why you would but, you can pay to work in such a bar. I'm sure if you know how to mix your drinks etc and you pay for it, you can find an owner who will let you work. Once you get the hang of it, you can demand pay or go work in another cool bar.

If you are not satisfied by your lay count though best thing to do is approach more girls.

>