Best Places in America To Live?

YOLT

Space Monkey
space monkey
Where are the best places in America to live for a single male in his 20's? I'm looking for a fresh start and new adventures. Thanks!

Inbocca

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
America's a very big country, geographically and population-wise. It's not like most countries where there are maybe a handful of cities; there are literally dozens of places to choose from, and they're all vastly different from each other. If you've got the money, I'd take a vacation around the country and spend a week or two in each of the places you've heard about and always wanted to go.

YOLT

Space Monkey
space monkey
Thanks! What are your thoughts on Denver/Boulder and San Diego?

mindful

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
I just left denver and I'm back east for a bit. But I did do a lot of dating in the year I was there. First off, there are a lot of blonde girls from the Midwest / Cali.

It's good to be into the outdoor scene because most girls live there for that. I was once in a bar and this girl literally only talked about the 14ers she had planned out for the summer and the one she was doing that weekend. In fact, a lot of girls have their own agendas and get outdoor horny to do all that stuff on weekends and such. So it's really imperative to lock down dates during the week. You will meet girls that don't do outdoorsy stuff here and such, but it's not the norm.

I think denver is just fine if you aren't too concerned with a diversity of girls, it's gonna be mainly white girls. People come here to enjoy life a little bit more, so the laid back lifestyle is a real thing. You just gotta decide if that is the type of environment you wanna be in.

There are a lot of cute girls here, but I never saw too many girls that really blew me away physically.

Regal Tiger

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Nashville is pretty groovy if you're into the bar scene and/or free music. East Nashville for the hipsters and West Nashville for the.... well I don't really know what to call them... more business-y well to do type girls? I dunno, have to work on the name.

You'll find tons of party types here if that's what you're into but just as many others are in the music scene. So if that's something that you're interested in then you'll have an easier time with talking to women about it. Same goes with Real Estate, lotta people in Real Estate here.

But Nashville is still growing by quite a bit and is usually in the top 10 of those lists of biggest growing cities. Job growth is also above the National Average (been a few months since I last checked though I will admit).

Traffic sucks and is getting worse though, same with housing prices. If you come to Nashville just don't plan on being on time if you drive around 6-9 A.M. and 3:30 - 6:00 ish P.M.
And on that above note; if you do have to be a commuter and get to a job then I suggest living someplace west of the city where you can take I-24 into Nashville. It's rarely clogged up (with the exception of the past few weeks because of some massive road work and closures). I don't know how long it'll be like this, but that's the safest bet at the moment.

I don't know what it's like to come into Nashville during rush hours from north of Nashville on I-65 but I can tell you that I-65 south sucks ballz. And if you have to come into Nashville during rush hour from anywhere east of Nashville you will be much better off getting a new job, a new date or new what ever is pulling you into Nashville at that time. You're going to miss out on that opportunity anyways.... it's that bad.

If you go anywhere around the city center then it's best to Uber/Lyft (and use my codes! You'll get a discount and I'll make a couple bucks lol) because parking is starting to get outrageous (exceptions for some of the sports leagues I've been to, because they always give you a discount and they're later at night during weekdays so not as crazy).

The restaurant niche is also growing like absolute crazy. Seems like there's a new restaurant popping up every week! So pretty much unlimited amount of choices when it comes to food and also coffee shops. There's also a bunch of little market places scattered over the city, though I've only been to one of them properly. The other two I've driven around and people say nice things and look alright. The few place I've been in them also seem pretty great.

Tennessee is also home to some GORGEOUS state parks. All within about 1-2 hours of Nashville in most cases. Absolutely fantastic! And some pretty good places within a few miles of Nashville as well, but the best ones are out of the way a little bit.

All in all, Nashville is basically like a less walkable but more green Austin TX if you've ever been there. One of the other biggest differences is that in Austin the music scene is more for fun whereas in Nashville it's a business.

If you want to be close to Nashville but want something smaller there is Murfreesboro which is about 30-40 minutes away and fairly good size. It's also got one of the biggest colleges in the state ;)

They're starting to get serious about plans for a rail system (big long drawn out story about why they don't already have one, but basically blame the uber rich people lol). The planners have learned from their mistakes and are basically going to go around the problem areas and build in areas that do want the system. They say it'll be about 9 years or so (and once even the problem neighborhoods see how it'll help they'll more than likely demand more of it).

Nashville is also probably going to get the super bowl sometime in the next decade. So if you have a business that can cash in on that it'd be a good idea to bring it down here. Whenever the Preds (hockey) went to the Stanley Cup there were people that had businesses making shirts and hats and other trinket like things making 2-3 years worth of sales in just those few months! I'm assuming that it'll be the same with the Super Bowl.
Why do I say this? Because they're building hotels like fuckin' crazy! One of the stipulations to get the Super Bowl here was that they needed 800,000 (beginning of the year they were already at 650K) hotel rooms in the metro area alone (also why they hate the AirBNB situation, so if you want to do AirBNB then stay away from the city center). A lot of people also suspect that's why they're so desperate to get a metro rail system in place as well, just for the Super Bowl.

I haven't heard too much about it, but they're trying to get a Major League Soccer team here as well. Don't know much about how that's going though

All in all, Nashville's a happening place. Especially if you're young or in a business. The growth rate is just stupid right now, though there are signs that it's starting to slow down because of the massive inflation on the housing market. But because of people moving in at such a high rate, and because of the job opportunities in the city I don't believe the bubble will pop anytime within the next year or so. Though it'll more than likely start to slow down. But at the moment instead of slowing down people are just getting pushed out of Nashville itself and instead spilling out into the neighboring towns (like Franklin, Spring Hill, Mt. Juliet and etc. all within 20 minutes or so of Nashville) and even out further to where I live (in this year alone they've already built 5 new homes in this small little neighborhood with plans to build another 10+) which is nearly an hour outside of Nashville. The population here is less than thousand! And the new homes are just in my little neighborhood which isn't even in the small ass town. A lot of the other small towns around here are also growing a lot and only growing faster and faster with each month.

My cousin who is in Real Estate says that Nashville's growth is basically the same as Los Angeles's back in like the 70's or whatever. But the key difference is the job growth here in Nashville. So it'll be interesting to see what happens in the next few years. My guess is that Nashville will eventually swallow up the neighboring towns and the city limits will expand. A lot of people already consider neighboring cities/towns an actual part of Nashville instead of being separate anyways.

Inbocca

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Heard good things about Denver and Colorado in general. It's still got that West Coast culture but a little more hipster-esque (not compared to Oregon and Washington, but more than Cali or AZ) and definitely more outdoorsy. Also, the climate is beautiful - which is a big thing I take into consideration when moving or vacationing. Wouldn't call it a pickup hub, but then again I've also only passed through so who knows?

San Diego is very different. I was born there and gotten to go back a few times growing up. Like most of Southern California, the people there put a big emphasis on aesthetics and the party and club scenes are pretty big. As you can imagine, them bitches be fine too. San Diego is pretty expensive, but the beaches and spots are some of the best in the area. We get a lot of Californians where I live and most of them agree that San Diego is one of the best cities in the area. I'll actually be moving back after school in a couple years.

Parkour

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
In addition to the other good stuff listed earlier:
NYC - if you can make it there, you can make it anywhere.
Santa Monica/LA coast - flashy ambition everywhere
Philly - cause awesome and gritty but it’s got to suit you
Seattle - some good spots, lots of tech and coffee
Atlanta - plenty of fun
Austin - heard good stufff

I’d visit other places but those cities are places to thrive/grow

YOLT

Space Monkey
space monkey
Thanks everyone for the answers. I think it's time I visited a few of the cities!

Indian Race Troll (IRT)

Rookie
Rookie
Don't waste time in Atlanta, the women aren't really that hot unless you're into black girls and the girls of other races are some of the most entitled girls I've run into.

Regal Tiger

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
PeachFrustration said:
Don't waste time in Atlanta, the women aren't really that hot unless you're into black girls and the girls of other races are some of the most entitled girls I've run into.

I know nothing of Atlanta girls, BUT! If you go anywhere near Atlanta be prepared for literally the worst traffic in America. Anyone and everyone I've talked to from travelers, to people that have lived there to truckers and even a few prisoner transport drivers. EVERYONE agrees that Atlanta is by far the worst traffic in the United States. No competition.

Literally nobody has told me that anywhere beats Atlanta in terms of traffic. So if you do decide to go there make sure to find a place to live that's very close to where you work or work from home.

slazenger

Space Monkey
space monkey
^^ CA is great. Just south of the border in Mexico... much better. Just my dos centavos, of course.

>