Chase and Franco: What advice would you give to guys in their 20s?

Indian Race Troll (IRT)

Rookie
Rookie
It seems like there is a lot of generic advice out there for guys in their 20s but personally, I want to hear from Chase and Franco.

Tell us guys, we're all ears!

trashKENNUT

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Oh Pry,

Mid 20s going 30 in three to four years.

Get an older mentor whom shares your value system and has somewhat similar thought process and who is at least somewhat similar growing up

p.s: Sowie for interwupting ;)

Zac

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
Oh Pry-

Here’s a quick list:

• Hook up with a fair number of girls, but also take some great girlfriends. If you don’t hook up with enough girls, you’ll feel like you missed out. Or you’ll always wonder if you could’ve done better on girlfriends. On the other hand, if you don’t take a few great girlfriends, you’ll burn out of hooking up after a while and choose the wrong girl out of desperation once you’ve had enough. Look after both needs.
  • Do the stuff you have to do to prove to yourself you’ve made it, but use it to liberate yourself from those constraints, not be bound to them. e.g., if you feel like you’ve got to hit X number of lays or sleep with Y kind of girl before you’ll feel like you’ve really made it, go do it, but have the goal of, “And then I can forget about it,” after, which leads to a feeling of accomplishment and freedom, and not, “And then I’ll just do more and more and more of it,” which leads to dissatisfaction and feelings of being trapped and stuck in repetition.
  • Learn a monetizeable skill, preferably one you can do remotely and take freelance jobs for. Programming, copywriting, affiliate marketing are all good examples. Some service industry jobs like bartending or teaching English are semi-like this; you still have a workplace, but you can do them almost anywhere. A skill you can monetize and make a living off of gives you freedom and flexibility.
  • Learn a practical martial art, like Wing Chun or Krav Maga. You don’t have to be the best, you just have to know you have the ability to defend yourself if need be. Raises across-the-board confidence in lots of scenarios where you might otherwise be inclined to be timid.
  • Read biographies of great historical men. Pick and choose any kind of man who appeals to you. I like Plutarch’s Parallel Lives, because it covers such a huge range of different kinds of personalities and how their lives played out from beginning to end. That’s the gold standard of biographies to me. But there are plenty of other great biographies – find historical figures you respect and admire, and read how they led their lives. It offers you different perspective.
  • Think bigger thoughts. Most people’s concerns are very small. What does this group think about me, what’s my status in that group. Will I be able to get invited to X’s party. Etc. Train yourself to think long-term and big picture. Remind yourself to do it and make yourself do it periodically, and you will come to do it more and more often, more and more naturally.
  • Meditate for 10 minutes every morning immediately after waking up for 30 days. Your focus should be just to pay attention to your breathing, and notice thoughts running through your head, then letting them go. Try this, and be aware of how it affects your mental clarity and stress levels over the course of that next month. You will almost certainly find that your stress goes way down, your feeling of self-control goes way up, happiness goes way up, and things start to magically go your way in life (because you can more clearly focus on what actually needs to be done and are getting bogged down in the petty details or emotional fires anymore).
  • Curate a diverse set of friends, including people you probably shouldn’t be friends with. Not anyone who’s outright dangerous for your life, but try having some friends you really would normally not hang out with at all. You don’t have to (and shouldn’t) do it forever – it’s too distracting over the long-term, especially as you nail down your value system and your mission in life – but it gives you some immense perspective into how various other people work that you will carry with you for the remainder of your life.
  • Learn to study your emotions and notice when something has become a net emotional drain. Where does your emotional energy go? Are you reading websites where you always just feel drained and angry after leaving? Most political and news sites are this way. Recognize when this happens and take a week off from them. Then examine how you feel at the end of that week. It’s a simple exercise, but it will make you much more aware of how external things affect your emotional wellbeing. Do this with everything – TV shows, music, even people. The more you cut out enervating influences, the more emotional energy you have to spend on worthwhile pursuits.
  • Live overseas. Absolutely crucial. At least one year overseas. You won’t be able to think the same way about your home culture, or any other culture, again. Which gives you a lot more control over how you plan and live your life. Also, girls with accents are cute.
  • Cultivate backup plans. If you get fired from work, what then? If you run out of money, what will you do? If you catch your perfect girlfriend (or wife) in bed with your best friend, what’s your play? Obviously, take steps to make sure these things don’t happen. But also already plan out what you will do if they do happen, so you aren’t standing around with your jaw on the floor and your pants around your ankles telling yourself you never thought this could happen to you. Be able to say, “Well, I planned for this, so let’s put my plan in action.”

Those are my recommendations, off the top of my head.

Love Zac’s “get an older mentor” one too – mentors are crucial. They’re not always available in everything you do, but if you can find them, you get to take the shortcut to success.

Chase

trashKENNUT

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
I cannot understand why i agree this wholeheartedly.

Nah i'm messin around. take this to heart and you can beat the alien. ;)

Zac

Indian Race Troll (IRT)

Rookie
Rookie
Thanks Chase, it took me forever to get back to you but I am glad that I did.

Just feels like here I am in my mid 20s, so much to do yet so little time to do all that. Still working on racking up the lay count and going for a bartending job (second job) in a music venue while I do so, should help with the lay counts but I also have a 9 to 5.

I have not traveled as much as I should and I am still in the process of where I am out there. I want to get as much partying and sleeping around done with in my 20s because a part of me feels like I will be too old for it at 30.

With all of the nonsense going on about 20 vs 30 on the web, I think YOU should do a post for men in their 20s, especially those who are out of college.

>