Headshake "no" to deter approach???

Marty

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
This is an interesting one that has me stumped... Has anyone ever seen a girl shake her head as if to say "No" (as per traditional Western interpretation), before you've even said anything, seemingly to discourage you from opening?

A few years ago, in another country halfway around the world, I used to get this from time to time if I made eye-contact with a very attractive girl in the street, even though at that stage I had no intention of opening... I didn't know what was possible back then! It always used to strike me as odd and made me wonder, was it actually intended for me, in a "don't even think about it" sense?

This evening while grocery shopping, I spotted a tall, beautiful brunette and by contrast this time, fully intended to open her, but as I came up for the approach and looked in her direction, before I'd even opened my mouth she sort of pouted, bit her lip and gave a "No" headshake. It was enough to cause me to hesitate and miss the opportunity to open... I wish I hadn't as I'd have learned much more by battling through it. But it was too late: that reminder of what I had seen long ago and far away was enough to cause me to lose my nerve... THIS time.

I do recall, in Chase's article Tell If a Girl Likes You: Are Her Walls Up, Or Down?, the following quotation:

If you like someone and you want to get that person to notice you, one way to do that is by making a face. Even a look of disgust can get noticed and get you opened by confident men if you're an attractive girl.

...which is why if I see it again, I'll know what to do, but I'd love to know if anyone's ever seen anything like this? Does it even mean what I think it does... it is generally understood at all?

>