Confused about eye contact

Damien

Space Monkey
space monkey
Hello everyone.
I'm a bit confused about breaking eye contact - what exactly does looking down mean? Like your eyes are moving down towards your chin? That definitely feels submissive for me. On the other hand let's say I'm seated at a table in a restaurant and I'm looking up to the waiter while he tells me sth and I'm looking down from his gaze but leveled for me. Does that also count as submissively looking down?

Fuck This

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Looking away TO AVOID eye contact is Submissive. To make eye contact and to BREAK eye contact on your terms is not.

Damien

Space Monkey
space monkey
Yeah I understand that. But still the other person only sees the outward result which is manifested by your body language. And chase stated in his article "never look down" that you should break it to the side or up, but in some situations like when you are sitting lower than sb that feels forced. Or another example - you're reading the menu in a restaurant and then look up to listen to sb and then look down to look back at the menu. Technically you're breaking eye contact down, but since your head is focused at the menu you bring your eyes from top to middle.
That's what I'm trying to clarify - if breaking down means you looking downwards relative to your head or relative to the other person. Sorry if that sounds overly technical but I'm trying to figure that out since a while.

Fuck This

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Don't Fucking overthink it...

Look where you WANT TO LOOK. Own that shit. Your date or the waiter are not sitting there with a score card. "oooh -1 Alpha point. he looked down...."

Damien

Space Monkey
space monkey
Hahaha yeah I have that tendency and then freak out over stuff. Your advice makes sense!

Fluxcapacitor

Modern Human
Modern Human
Damien dude! Fuck this is on point, no one's keeping score and look where ya want and own it.

For the context you originally asked that's not looking down in a submissive way that's just where ya gonna look. If you look up to speak to someone standing while ya sitting putting ya head back to neutral is just that. It's like looking down at the floor or your chin you want to avoid doing.

The exception to this is if you're reading or on your phone and you glance up and make eye contact. Once she's broke that eye contact ya gonna go back to what ya were doing which means going back down to what ya were reading. Usually your phone am guessing.

This is another issue that'll fuck your posture but ya can't always hold your phone in front of ya without looking strange!

Damien

Space Monkey
space monkey
Flux my boy! How's it going? And thanks for the "no one is keeping an alpha score" lol, I was getting too perfectionist lately and that actually led to me being quite stuck up. Gotta let loose a bit more. Much appreciated guys! You really helped me out of a slump.

Fluxcapacitor

Modern Human
Modern Human
Damien dude! It's going good! We all strive for perfection dude, glad to have helped ya out your slump. Keep at it dude an all the little things come together

>