Observations  Never a Good First Try

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
One more reason you ought to go out right now and do whatever you'd someday like to be able to do.

I recently embarked on a little mini-project (unrelated to GC) that involves some cool people I know who are going places in business. I was thinking about how this is something I've wanted to do for a while, and have tried to do a few times before, and it hasn't quite worked out. And I was thinking that this time, I'm still a little sloppy in how I'm going about setting it up, and there's a good chance it works a little better than the last time, but probably doesn't work out again.

But this is how everything starts: you don't want to do it until you know you can pull it off to the best of your ability and make it a gleaming success that reflects well upon you and shows everyone how competent and brilliant you are, especially if it's something involving other people.

Yet, you can never achieving gleaming successes showcasing your competence and brilliance until you've done the thing bumblingingly, humiliatingly clumsily and figured out through trial and error all the little sticky nuances you'd never know how to do right in a million years until you'd already dealt with them in a real world setting. Reading up on a thing is good, but it can never prepare you enough.

So, the next thought is, while the thing you are doing right now always FEELS dramatically important... in the grand scheme of things, it's nearly always a stepping stone to greater success later.

Your first approach will usually not fly.

Your first business will very often be a disappointment.

Your first time playing some new sport or card game or video game will usually result in you having your ass handed to you.

There's never a good first try.

Occasionally, there's a LUCKY first try.

But luck isn't anything to count on.

Instead, what you should count on is that the first try is your stepping stone to a better second try, and eventually to the end result you want to get.

I'm kind of restating an issue I (and countless others) have talked about many times, but I think it's an important point to make, and is worth making in as many different ways as you can.

Never a good first try. You do it for the motivation, which often sucks because you can see the failure in your immediate future... but beyond that failure lies a little more success, hiding right behind it. You must go through one to reach the other, though.

Chase

>