Awkward interaction; ask for number/stay in set anyway?

zappbrannigan

Space Monkey
space monkey
Hi all,

Today I saw a cutie walk through the park I biked past. I stopped and talked to her. She asked me if I know her or something and she thought it was a little weird to tell her that I thought she was cute. But she was still talking to me. I was asking her questions, and she even reciprocated a bit by asking me what I did for a living, and when the conversation fell silent she talked a little bit more to fill up the silence.

But it felt totally awkward to me, I was searching for topics but couldn't come up with anything. I asked her what she did when she's not studying for a PhD and she said she "didn' t know". So the conversation went dead pretty quickly. I decided to quit while I was ahead and told her "I won't keep you" (I know, bad move, it assumes I'm taking value). Now I'm still quite a beginner and I'm just happy that I approached, so it's definitely not a total loss (gotta build that "approach muscle" somehow, right?)

I could've asked her for her number, but the chance she'd flake would be big and I would have no idea how to pick up the conversation if we'd go on a date, so I didn't. She was kind of cute though. I've read that you should always number close to make it a habit, even if you have no intention of calling the girl. What's your take on this?

Also, I've read that you should always just stay in set. Should I stay and try to milk the interaction for all it's worth until it becomes so awkward that she leaves?

zeroman2

Space Monkey
space monkey
I suggest you should look up the articles on how to be a conversationalist. Because if you want girls this is one of the keys

But I'll tell you the basics on how to be a conversationalist.

1. Let her do most of the talking

2. Get on subject she is interested in like hobbies

3. Deep dive (which means get past the small talk to something more meaningful like hopes and dreams, family, goals in life, etc

4. Make statements and give opinions when she's talking. And not just asking question after question. (You can ask questions but it can't be the main thing you do in a conversation)

They'll probably a lot more stuff I haven't covered but you get the general gist of it.

zappbrannigan

Space Monkey
space monkey
zeroman2 said:
1. Let her do most of the talking
2. Get on subject she is interested in like hobbies
3. Deep dive (which means get past the small talk to something more meaningful like hopes and dreams, family, goals in life, etc
4. Make statements and give opinions when she's talking. And not just asking question after question. (You can ask questions but it can't be the main thing you do in a conversation)

I actually know all this, and at times I can do this very well. Usually it's just the first minute I struggle a bit with to get through unscathed. I just have to practice more and maybe make a list of standard questions/statements I can make to every girl.

When I talked to her today it was after biking home from a long day at the office having meetings all day. That was pretty intense and my brain was a bit overloaded already. But like I said, when I tried to ask about her hobbies she was all like "ehh, I don't know". And I let a silence fall, and tried to let her do most of the talking, and tried issuing some statements.

I think my brain just wasn't relaxed enough to freely associate. I know what to do though: Get into more interactions!

zeroman2

Space Monkey
space monkey
If you know all this then it should never be awkward and you will always know what to say.

I think it's more of an experience thing than else. The more you talk to girls the easier it becomes.

And if you still don't know how to talk to girls I suggest you get some female friends. So you can get used to talking to them

>