A better way to handle angry people?

readjusting

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
I ran into angry people sometimes. For example, in the parking lot I walked between 2 cars (narrow space), a woman with her children came in my opposite and opened the door. I stood there waiting, and she screamed: "Oh my god are you fucking kidding me I'm buckling my child. Move!"

I shrugged and go around.
I was just by myself so it was easy decision. But what if I was with a girl? She would disrespect me for having a weak response.

Fuck This

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
You need to anticipate situations like that. Always be looking ahead so you can go around. It's called Situational awareness.

She probably thought you were going to carjack her.

jakesykes949

Space Monkey
space monkey
Don't ask this question. There's a better question to be asking, and it's: "Why am I bringing out so much anger in people?"

I'd guess you have repressed anger, and they're picking up on it, bringing out the anger in them. Calm, collected, peaceful people rarely encounter angry strangers.

If they do get angry, just shrug it off and be unaffected. Don't let yourself get disrespected and walked all over, but don't be a tryhard douche, either.

readjusting

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Appreciate the response guys,

@FT
Indeed I thought that I should not get into these situations in the first place. With experience I’ll get better.

@jack
Nah, I don’t have repressed anger. Not now.
But I like your insights about being calm and collected.

happydagger

Space Monkey
space monkey
Hey There! Well you didn't actually say how you were handling this angry person. For what it's worth, my read of the encounter is that your standing and waiting made her very nervous and she imagined you were annoyed with her for having to wait and that combined with lugging kids around was exasperating for her. It's easy to Monday morning quarterback these things but since you asked, a possible response would've been to say "oh my gosh you have such beautiful children!" with a big smile and then say something like "is there anything I can do to help?" I'm sure her response would be very different. If you then want to turn it in a flirtatious direction, you could say "I hope my kids turn out that great some day" ;) she'll say "why thank you" or "believe me they're not that great" and you can just riff from there :)

>