Dance floor game - How to handle this specific situation

Beam

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Hi guys. This is a situation I've been in a couple of times and have never been able to figure it out.

Last night, two attractive girls came up in front of me and started dancing - The three of us were essentially facing each other in a circle. I tried engaging the one of the right with some conversation - I got a coy smile when I complimented her on her dance moves but apart from that - nothing. Not much eye contact. Their dancing was quite low energy - I considered trying to get both their hands and dropping to the ground, but felt like it didn't match the vibe. We continued dancing when my friend joined in - soon after the one I had talked to motioned to her friend and they moved a couple of meters away (unfortunately my friend doesn't have good fundamentals)

I'm assuming this was a proximity approach since there was plenty of space around us and I have decent fundamentals (I got approached by a few girls in the line and caught a few stares), but I'm confused. Were they only dancing there because I seemed like I wasn't a threat? I don't think so, I wasn't in the best mood last night and might have had a resting asshole face, which I think put a lot of girls off. Did I perhaps come across as dominant and they were waiting for me to do more than just engage in conversation? I think this was the case, but...

How do you even approach a situation with two chicks in front of you when talking doesn't seem to work and their dancing is low energy? Like I mentioned earlier, this isn't the first time this has happened - sometimes I've had groups of two or three girls in the same situation. Coming out of nowhere to dance right in front of me. Low energy. Engaging in conversation doesn't work, I dance for a bit until they seem to get bored and visibly motion to their friends to go somewhere else. Any advice would be appreciated since I would like to avoid this happening again!

Moose.

ElderPrice

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
First off, it sounds like you're overthinking this. But let me get this straight... these girls are heading to the floor to dance (a high energy thing) but they are low energy? You sure you have that right? Also, it is entirely possible they went dancing to have a general good time and not to pick out a mate to pull home.

Is this a club scene? As in, very loud music? Even if not, talking and dancing don't really go together. Dance for the sake of dancing. If you happen to come across a girl who is excited to dance with you, then great, dance with her. Then when the song changes and/or the energy of the room changes providing that very short opportunity to say something, ask her to join you at the bar for a drink. THEN begin the conversation there. At least that's what my approach would be.

Beam

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Thanks for the response - maybe I am! It was a pretty laid back venue with a live band. They were playing slow 80s music too, which is not really my thing so I couldn't get into it (I prefer faster paced EDM or Hip Hop), so I was sort of just standing there when they came up to me. In fact, this has mainly happened when I'm not enjoying the music as much or am tired and have just been hovering - when I'm enjoying the music I get into it a lot and perhaps can be too intimidating. I should also mention that I saw the one on the right on her own with a guy later on in the night.

Writing it out - it might just be that I'm not enjoying the music and so any move to engage them in dance seems incongruent, while talking on the dance floor is just awkward like you said.. Scouting more venues is probably the best idea, but I've been noticing that the places where I don't enjoy the music as much like this one tend to have a lot more beautiful girls.. What a dilemma.

If you happen to come across a girl who is excited to dance with you, then great, dance with her. Then when the song changes and/or the energy of the room changes providing that very short opportunity to say something, ask her to join you at the bar for a drink.

It's good advice, I've done this a few times and it's worked.

Moose

Cody Lyans

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
I turn away at first to gauge their response, see if they are comfy coming over a few steps more after I move away
Then I might turn back spontaneously when they get close again, acknowledge them
Then I continue dancing and if they come close by I introduce myself, and ask why they are out

Its the simplest way, cuz if they are interested they'll just open up into conversation,
THEN you can dance n talk

Beam

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Interesting, I hadn't considered turning away. I suppose you've got to do it in a natural, subtle way to make sure you don't look like you're deliberately ignoring or trying to get away from them. This is hard to do when they're standing and facing you... maybe smiling at them first would work.

Cody Lyans

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
To turn away don't close off fully, just fade away by twenty degrees and step about half a foot. It is just a gesture of making space then you turn it into a hover where you look at them twice and start a convo

Beam

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Okay, next time this happens I'm going to try that out!

>