No questions - reserved or complete lack of interest?

justaguy

Rookie
Rookie
Hi, I'm new to these forums and maybe similar questions have been posted a lot, but I can't find any right now.

This has occurred to me twice. The first girl worked at the same company but I've only met her once for a two-day training. The girl I'm talking to right now we've been colleagues with years ago, not anymore. Back then we did talk a few times personally. When she knew me I was pretty different though - now I have a better style, don't wear glasses anymore, have more life experience.

With both girls, I sent them a "how are you? long time no see" type chat message and started trying to have a conversation. Even though we did know each other, it felt kinda like a cold call in both cases. They responded, but there were no questions towards me, no clear signs of interest. For the first one, I gave up after a few days as I had the feeling she didn't really want to talk but was too polite not to answer my questions.

For the one that's ongoing right now: I start chatting with her, she responds, but only a couple times a day. She works a lot, is in the midst of changing jobs and doesn't like to use Messenger that much so maybe this is normal, at this point the frequency doesn't really bother me. We've been talking for a week, 5-8 messages per person per day (very little, I know). I ask her about herself, try to relate, sneak in a short story or info about myself when appropriate. She replies and tells me about herself, in some cases even uses a smiley, not very often. If she has enough to say, she will respond in up to 3-4 messages, doesn't keep it very short. So far we've only talked about the basic stuff (what's your idea of fun, do you like travel etc... even a bit of work as we were colleagues previously, I felt it was a good starter to ask what she's doing now professionally). I don't want to go too deep with my questions - after all, the last time we met was years ago, just started chatting, feel like it would be inappropriate.

What puzzles me is that she almost never asks any questions. Not even reactively - e.g. If I ask about her favorite movie genre she will not say "what's yours?" Right now I have no idea if a) she finds it weird that I started talking to her after years and doesn't even really want to talk, but is too polite not to answer, b) she is okay with chatting with a former colleague but doesn't care much, c) she might want to talk but doesn't wanna make it look like she is, as it would make her look easy, or is too shy to ask back, d) she's taken and doesn't wanna encourage me with her questions.

I think she's a relatively reserved person but back when we were colleagues I didn't know her that much. She's in her early 30s, we work office jobs. I'm trying to figure out if I should continue the conversation risking it may "dry up" eventually as I run out of the basic questions to ask about her, and if it does not, ask if she'd like to have a coffee somewhere, or say "thanks for chatting, bye" and end the conversation. I don't want to as I find her really cute.

I'm in Eastern Europe, people a bit more reserved here in general and do not communicate as openly and as much as people in the US. Still, in my experience girls usually start asking questions back after a few days (or less) and I don't normally have trouble connecting with them if they are interested.

What do you think?

dcman

Space Monkey
space monkey
From what you have written she has friend zoned you .
She works a lot, is in the midst of changing jobs and doesn't like to use Messenger that much so maybe this is normal, at this point the frequency doesn't really bother me.
a girl who sees of you of high value will make all efforts to communicate in the medium that you chose .

you need to make her see you in terms of a lover rather than a friend. You should ask more in depth questions about romance, relation sex etc(read from this site or other online where they give examples of how to do it ). Get an idea of what she is looking for and relate to it. Share with her things that she would like especially of sexual nature. If you feel that she would be interested in having sex arrange a meet with her. Otherwise cut contact and move on.

Another suggestion as you have improved your style and attractiction skills it would be a better to use them on newer girls and have fun rather than put effort in getting back girls from the past .

Lover

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
justaguy said:
We've been talking for a week, 5-8 messages per person per day (very little, I know).

This could have been okay, but it is more about what you do with the 5-8 messages per day. Read along.

justaguy said:
I ask her about herself, try to relate, sneak in a short story or info about myself when appropriate.

You get better results doing this on a date, not on text.

justaguy said:
If she has enough to say, she will respond in up to 3-4 messages, doesn't keep it very short.

This could be a slight hint that she's interested.

justaguy said:
So far we've only talked about the basic stuff (what's your idea of fun, do you like travel etc... even a bit of work as we were colleagues previously, I felt it was a good starter to ask what she's doing now professionally). I don't want to go too deep with my questions - after all, the last time we met was years ago, just started chatting, feel like it would be inappropriate.

I agree that asking her what she's doing now professionally is okay for a starter because that is your common ground. But the rest that you call "basic stuff", you could talk about that on a date instead.

justaguy said:
What puzzles me is that she almost never asks any questions. Not even reactively - e.g. If I ask about her favorite movie genre she will not say "what's yours?"

But why are you asking her about this on text? Do you really want to know? Or do you want to ask her out to a movie? (hint: don't do it!)

justaguy said:
Right now I have no idea if a) she finds it weird that I started talking to her after years and doesn't even really want to talk, but is too polite not to answer, b) she is okay with chatting with a former colleague but doesn't care much, c) she might want to talk but doesn't wanna make it look like she is, as it would make her look easy, or is too shy to ask back, d) she's taken and doesn't wanna encourage me with her questions.

Or e: you're not making anything happen right now! You know a great deal about what she has been up to the last year and asked some questions about what she's into. Do you like her enough to ask her out? Because that is how you will really find out what is going on in her head.

justaguy said:
I think she's a relatively reserved person

Speaking of reserved: in the worst case scenario, her reserved character on text is telling you "Don't bother me".

In best case scenario (and as seducers, it's to our advantage if we are optimistic anyway), she is telling you subtlety "I don't want to text, and we already know one another. Before you miss your window, why don't you just ask me out, and we catch up there instead?"

justaguy said:
I'm trying to figure out if I should continue the conversation risking it may "dry up" eventually as I run out of the basic questions to ask about her

You said "We've been talking for a week, 5-8 messages per person per day". That's more than enough. If you want to move things forward with her, you don't have to continue the conversation with more "basic questions". Don't ask about her, ask her out!

justaguy said:
What do you think?

I think the biggest takeaway from here is this:

With girls (and generally people) you already know, there is no need to go into long stretches about "basic questions" over text. Even if you did not know them that well before, it's weird. Imagine you meet a guy you kind of knew a year ago, and he hits you up on Messenger. Eventually he asks you out the blue "So *justaguy*, what kind of movies are you into?" You reply, and he says "Oh cool, me too! XYZ movie is my absolute favorite!". Where is this conversation going? What is he trying to pull here? You might think he's trying to connect with you, but most likely you will be left with a feeling of "why are we talking about this over Messenger?"

If the girl is into you, she might wonder the same right now. And it doesn't put you in a favorable position, dating-wise.

So how do you lead from here?

The best way to always know where a girl stands, is moving things forward. In your case: ask her out. I don't know what your conversation looks like right now. But for the invite, you can text her a question like:

"Tell me what you like the most in this summer heat - ice cream or coffee?"

Let her answer you, and then follow up:

"Okay, let's skip the rest of the conversation for now and go get ice cream/coffee (or whatever she replied) :) Tell me what your schedule looks like the next couple of days"

And set up the date from there!

For future reference

A little small talk is okay once you reconnect with an old acquaintance. But you want to move on quickly to set up a meeting/date as I tried to show you in the example above.

As a general rule, don't use texting as a medium to connect/bond with girls you want to sleep with, and definitely not with old acquaintances. Use it to small talk briefly about whatever you have in common to see where you are now. Then move things forward and ask them out.

Let us know what you do, and what happens!

dcman

Space Monkey
space monkey
In general it is better to set up a meet as soon as possible. In this case the girl knows OP for a while and her reactions indicate she does not seem him as a lover . It is unlikely she would accept an invitation to meet . In this case build value and attraction over messaging and phone before trying to set up a meet would.

>