Marriage  Is marriage even worth it?

Verisimilitude

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
This site has opened my eyes in a ton of ways, but the one where my eyes are still clouded is marriage. I still have conceptions of marriage being a lifelong happy bond between two partners. Maybe this comes from my christian upbringing, but I think it is more that my parents are still together and seem to be a really good couple.

I've never heard them fight (I think I've heard them raise their voices with each other once when I was a kid), and they both seem happy. Of course, that kind of stuff isn't out in the open, but both of their parents were divorced and my parents committed to staying together forever. They are also very religious as well.

I don't see my marriage going that way. I see myself expecting that kind of a "perfect" marriage, but then problems with my wife/me ruining things and myself getting divorced.

But I still can't accept that most marriages have cheating happen in them and that most marriages the partners end up unhappy. I just haven't seen it like that. Most of the people I know are still together and for all I know, reasonably happy.

What should I expect out of marriage? Can I learn this stuff and make it work? How do I prevent cheating in my future marriage?

and

Is the type of marriage even possible with the guy in control?

This is the one area that I know nothing about, so I'd appreciate the input.

V

Nova

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
The thing with marriage for me, is what makes it necessary to an already solid long term relationship? You can't say that marriage solidifies love or enhances it, its just a piece of paper and an expensive ceremony that I don't think is even warranted by state related reasons. Even when it comes to commitment and kids, really shouldn't the desire to stay together for children be genuine and come from a place of responsibility and love as opposed to some legal document? In my opinion marriage is a bit of an outdated institution that many people unfortunately try to cling onto because of the whole history and tradition that comes with it, but how superficial.

Its not really marriage per se that gets me but more the inability of most people to atually see it for what it is. If I ever did end up in a long term relationship where I could actually see myself with that girl for a large amount of time and she realllly wanted to get married, then whatever, but I wouldn't go all cliche and blow 20g's on it or think of it as some great spectacle and milestone in my life, lol. Doubt i'll ever marry.

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
Verisimilitude-

A few comments:

Verisimilitude said:
But I still can't accept that most marriages have cheating happen in them

Do they? That's news to me.

I've seen various studies citing the percent of people who have cheated on a partner (lifetime) being up to 40% or 50% for women and 60% or 70% for men. I've also seen those numbers down in the single digits. My guess is it's probably closer to in between... maybe a quarter or a third of people? But that's cheating lifetime on any partner - boyfriend, girlfriend, husband, wife, you name it. How much of that occurs within a marriage, where people tend to be more settled, live out in the suburbs, be short on time between career and kids, and have limited exposure to attractive members of the opposite sex?

I'd suspect only a small chunk of cheating occurs within marriages, the majority of it going on between young singles in boyfriend-girlfriend relationships going out and partying and living in the city center surrounded by hot options.

You will meet horny young wives (and maybe some horny older ones) who will climb your pole in a hotel room off the Vegas strip, sure. But these women are not a majority in most places by any stretch of the imagination, and the men who think they are tend to be operating out of a selection bias paradigm where they've met a number of these women and assume all women must be just like these.

Verisimilitude said:
and that most marriages the partners end up unhappy.

They do? Also news to me.

I know there was the whole feminist movement to decry marriage as a miserable prison for women, and the subsequent masculinist movement to decry it as a horrible prison for men too, but women's happiness has bottomed out as marriage has declined, while men's hasn't had any favors done for it, either.

I will say though that most people go into marriage with shitty communication skills, unrealistic expectations, and are either settling (if they're older) or rushing into it (if they're younger), rather than carefully and methodically selecting partners who are a good match for them intuitively (chemistry) but ALSO a good match for them logically (the traditional "good match" deal). Back when marriage was a serious institution, the advice given to young people was, "Don't marry on a whim - marry because you've made certain that this person is the ideal match for where you want to take your life."

These days the advice given to young people is nothing but "follow your heart, and the rest will fall into place", given by clueless flower power children who thought that all you need is love and can't figure out why they have such a terrible track record with marriage and such sky-high divorce rates. They threw off the instructions of the ancients who established marriage as an institution in the first place, and now scratch their heads over why the cookies taste like crap when you try to wing it baking them instead of following the recipe.

If marriage is something you want, ignore the advice of the Baby Boomers and read the ancient Greek epics and Biblical tales. Maybe read Plutarch's Parallel Lives. See how various successful men throughout history have structured their lives and the sorts of women they've chosen to have at their sides. Pick your women that way, rather than just following your boner into marriage like most guys do these days, whether they wed the traditional way or just settle into long-term common law monogamy as they age and get too lazy or lumpy to chase tail anymore.

Verisimilitude said:
I just haven't seen it like that. Most of the people I know are still together and for all I know, reasonably happy.

It depends on geography. Two places I've lived:

In the suburbs of Pennsylvania, divorce is not very common, and those who do divorce come out of it with stigma attached and everyone whispers about it.

In downtown San Diego, you haven't lived if you haven't been divorced at least once (and probably twice). It's almost a right of passage.

Different places, different social mores.

Verisimilitude said:
What should I expect out of marriage? Can I learn this stuff and make it work? How do I prevent cheating in my future marriage?

Well, marriage as an institution primarily exists for the production and raising of children. So long as that is the central pillar you're basing marriage around, I think you're doing all right.

Think about it like this: you're selecting a woman to reproduce with. Several primary concerns:

• What genes would I like to mix mine with to create the next generation?
  • What qualities do I need to look for in a woman who'll make a good partner for me?
  • What qualities do I need to look for in a woman who'll make a good mother to our children?

Those'd be the primary concerns. Once you have those three figured out, you know what you're looking for if the goal is marriage.

I think it's also worth keeping in mind that "marriage" is not the goal. Marriage is the goal for emotional people who don't understand the purpose behind institutions. The goal is what the institution is there to encourage and protect: the creation and rearing of future generations.

So what do you want your kids to be? Tall? Brilliant? Good-looking? Energetic? Laid back? Ambitious? Athletic? Tinkerers? Explorers? Pick a woman who has as many of your desired traits in this areas as possible.

What do you want your partner to be? Smart? Beautiful? Loyal? Mentally and emotionally stable? Fun? Considerate? I generally think these are good things to look for, so screening based on looks, career, education, and family background are advised. She's far more likely to make a good long-term partner if her parents have healthy and ongoing relationships with each other, and if she has such a relationship with them, than if she comes from a broken home, for instance.

Verisimilitude said:
Is the type of marriage even possible with the guy in control?

What type of relationship is not possible with the guy in control? ;)

Chase

daviddreamer

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
To the original poster,

I have been married recently and I believe it to be worth it. On your last part about having the control in a marriage don't let the media fool you. I see it all the time on television like family guy, the Simpsons, King of Queens, Everybody Loves Raymond...that the Husband is always portrayed as some incompetent idiot while the Wife is always portrayed as the level headed one.

You can definitely control the marriage if that is your goal. For me, and what I have learned in my marriage, it really isn't about who has the control but about having effective communication skills to settle problems and come up with compromises when needed. And if anything its more about fighting to keep your control rather then letting your wife beat you down till you have no pride left haha.

I'll put my analogy to you this way. I view myself as king of the castle. Not because of just having control because of the high self esteem and confidence I have built prior to marriage. In marriage, my wife is like a guerilla warfighter or some skirmish that always tries to break through the walls. When I'm not feeling well or I'm down, every now and then, she is able to break through the castle doors. She can even sneak a Trojan Horse in there if she is really sneaky and catching me off guard. But in the end the rebellion is always quelled if I stay on top of my game, my life, and goals and always being a lover to her even in marriage. And the fights usually ends in my wife being happy that I'm strong anyway.

daviddreamer

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
DrexelScott,

There are huge "social benefits" for woman to get married to men and sometimes even a man getting married to a women regardless of the laws, rules, and regulations put on by society.

ray_zorse

Modern Human
Modern Human
DrexelScott is 500% correct. Good of you to spread the word to those who haven't had need to research it yet ;) Only one thing that I guess bothers me. If I were to have children again the way I would structure it is this. I live in my own place. She lives in hers. We are responsible for the children at set times on the same basis as it is with my other children. We are jointly financially responsible for their education and other expenses. Before she gets pregnant she signs a document resembling a prenup detailing what she agrees to if she gets pregnant to me. She also signs parenting orders by consent in the Australian Family Court detailing the shared care arrangements, that she agrees not to relocate the children, etc. What bothers me is (1) these legal instruments don't exist, AFAIK a prenup is automatically invalidated by the birth of a child and Family Law orders cannot be issued for an unborn or not-yet-conceived child, (2) she could have all these orders overturned in 5 minutes with a simple application to the Family Court after the child is born... go figure, the marriage contract is not worth toilet paper. I doubt I will be having any more kids. A rotation of women regularly replenished by cold approach sounds good. Otherwise as Drexel says, you are putting your balls in some chick's handbag. And as Chase or Franco has said... by cohabiting you lose 90% of your relationship management tools... hard/soft NEXT etc.
cheers, Ray

daviddreamer

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Coming from a guy who is happily married I guess there is not much I advice I can tell you guys. I will be biased in this argument no matter what so... Is marriage even worth it you ask? Only one way to find out. Cheers.

daviddreamer

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
DrexelScott said:
daviddreamer said:
Coming from a guy who is happily married I guess there is not much I advice I can tell you guys. I will be biased in this argument no matter what so... Is marriage even worth it you ask? Only one way to find out. Cheers.

I won't let this go, because it is extremely important for young men to understand this dynamic. I mean you no personal offense, daviddreamer, I am using your situation as an example.

To say "is it worth it? only one way to find out" is like asking "does heroin feel good? only one way to find out." It is a very unresourceful thought process to gamble like that when the risk is so enormous for young Western men. Smart decisions are made by honestly examining all available data and making a decision based on a proper risk/reward analysis.

Daviddreamer is recently married and in the honeymoon phase, so of course he is enjoying marriage. Perhaps his marriage will be a long and happy one, perhaps not, I am not here to predict his future. What I do know is that somewhere between 3 and 7 years, most marriages take a turn that is decidedly unlike the honeymoon phase. New Relationship Energy is great and puts rosy filters on everything, but it also distorts reality.

I wish you the best, and please don't encourage other men to take enormous risks based on your honeymoon feelings (it is a dangerous idea to propagate).

@RayZorse--I agree completely with Chase and Franco. Cohabitation is one of the fastest ways to transfer power from the male to female, which is the first step in ruining any relationship. Both men and women are happier with the man in charge, and it is considerably more difficult to stay in charge when your best tools are taken away!

Well your path is different then mine. If you choose not to let it go that is your decision. I'm cool with that.

I have to let it go though; the reason I can't debate with you logically is because I already started on a long long road and I can't simply "turn back" -I am already married no going back for me. Divorce is heartbreaking and expensive. This was the risk I chose when I got married. You're right I am still in the honeymoon stage however I haven't mentioned that me and my wife have been apart for a year. Skype has been our life...believe me you get quite the communication practice. To me I have a woman who can tough out the distance and always support me no matter what. Very hard to find this kind of loyalty and that is what I wanted in my life. What you want in your life may be different.

I would never advise young men to get married early. In fact, they should really take there time and find someone most compatible. Get in a real long term relationship and then when she starts pushing for that commitment point then its time to make the choice or walk. Most woman want marriage.... eventually.

ray_zorse

Modern Human
Modern Human
hey DD by all indications you've landed yourself a life partner who is sweet, mostly compliant and into you and that's cause for celebration. All the same it wouldn't hurt to pay attention to more experienced guys who have trodden this road ahead of you. After all that's what we are here for, to help each other out, share experience and learn from each other's mistakes and/or point out potential pitfalls along the way.

I was only really reading this thread with half an eye but when I look over the totality of the posts I do notice a little dissonance, you mention your strong frame control, inner confidence and ability to deal with those inevitable skirmishes... but then it turns out you're not living together, did you actually live together prior to marriage and/or whilst married and how long of each? Also you say you're happily married and this calls to mind a couple in the "comfortable as an old sweater" stage but then you say you haven't actually been married that long.

I think I should mention that the woman's behaviour sometimes (or can I say often?) changes quite drastically as things progress through the stages of courtship, commitment, LTR, cohabitatoon, marriage, kids... thing is that at each stage you become more committed and it gets harder for you to escape (at least a higher barrier you have to jump mentally and logistically to get to the point where you have an alternative) and you may rest assured that she is well aware of this. It sounds like you are actually at a pretty early stage (your protestations to the contrary) and so she will have been on best behaviour, this doesn't mean anything bad will necessarily happen but it's nevertheless true in pretty much every case and it's a dynamic you need to be aware of, and alert to.

Now suppose she just happens to be cluster B? Impossible you say... I know my wife... etc. But how would you actually spot a cluster B? When on best behaviour they can actually be better people than not cluster B... warmer, more seemingly empathetic, "gets you" etc... I have noticed that some people, eg. 2 of my brothers, are naturally cynical and inclined to be judgemental off the bat and will NEXT people for no real reason other than a feeling... those guys are good at spotting and avoiding cluster B... others like myself and my other 2 brothers, are totally the opposite and tend to give people a lot of chances while logically convincing ourselves that we are more civilized than our primitive brain which smells a rat.

From the sentiments you've expressed you could easily be in the second category, as I am, so watch out.

Remember you don't actually know how your wife is spending her time, and you can bet there'd be things you didn't altogether like, however innocent they are in the scheme of things.

It's funny how close friendships with opposite sex coworkers (etc) can evolve into loads of emotional support, co dependence and sex... or she could be going out to bars and finding casual hookups to fuck... don't forget women live in a state of sexual abundance that you and I could only dream about... put it this way, if you were having a quiet night in with a movie and you knew there was a pack of chocolate biscuits in the house, how long could you resist?

Additionally if she's cluster B she could be professing undying love and how she coud never look at another man and she would be totally convincing because it would be true for her at that time, one of the major symptoms of these illnesses is the ability to push unacceptable thoughts, events or actions out of conscious awareness.

All this I learned at enormous personal cost. Don't dismiss it.

cheers, Ray

daviddreamer

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Ray_zorse,

Luckily for me I stumbled upon GirlsChase and learned a ton from this website before I married. I kept in mind when I got married to avoid the Cluster B personalities ahead of time. In fact, it was this website that I was able to find out my ex was the classic Histronic Personality type which explained a lot to me at the time. I learned a lot about woman from that crazy lady haha! Anyhow I'll breakdown my thoughts for you in bold.

ray_zorse said:
hey DD by all indications you've landed yourself a life partner who is sweet, mostly compliant and into you and that's cause for celebration. All the same it wouldn't hurt to pay attention to more experienced guys who have trodden this road ahead of you. After all that's what we are here for, to help each other out, share experience and learn from each other's mistakes and/or point out potential pitfalls along the way.

Of course. Even after marriage I still frequent this website and boards for self-improvement and interesting articles. One of my favorite things about these boards is I am able to have mature conversations here without seeing troll posts and attacks. The constructive criticism is nice. What I have noticed though is the majority of posters here are starting from the bottom with no prior relationship experience (some haven't even felt a woman's touch others have had sex in the double digits) or there are lots of members here who are in long-term relationships and some swinging. I feel sort of out of place at times because I'm the traditional committed to one woman married guy. I'm a minority on these boards for sure.

I was only really reading this thread with half an eye but when I look over the totality of the posts I do notice a little dissonance, you mention your strong frame control, inner confidence and ability to deal with those inevitable skirmishes... but then it turns out you're not living together, did you actually live together prior to marriage and/or whilst married and how long of each? Also you say you're happily married and this calls to mind a couple in the "comfortable as an old sweater" stage but then you say you haven't actually been married that long.

Me and my wife are quite traditional in a sense of being totally committed to a marriage. She understands that the expectations of a marriage are not all sunshine and rainbows and she is pretty level headed all things considered. The only guy friends she has are her girlfriends boyfriends. I took her virginity when she was 22 when I went to visit this country in 2013. In the Philippines the divorce rate is 2%. I love the woman of these countries. They feel more womanly then the Western Woman. She wasn't from a city or anything she is from the country/province. These are things I screened for before I got married.

I think I should mention that the woman's behaviour sometimes (or can I say often?) changes quite drastically as things progress through the stages of courtship, commitment, LTR, cohabitatoon, marriage, kids... thing is that at each stage you become more committed and it gets harder for you to escape (at least a higher barrier you have to jump mentally and logistically to get to the point where you have an alternative) and you may rest assured that she is well aware of this. It sounds like you are actually at a pretty early stage (your protestations to the contrary) and so she will have been on best behaviour, this doesn't mean anything bad will necessarily happen but it's nevertheless true in pretty much every case and it's a dynamic you need to be aware of, and alert to.

I am quite aware. We used to never fight. After we got engaged we would get in little arguments but nothing major. After marriage things got more real lol and we both felt at times we needed anger management classes haha. At the time these things caught me off guard (they should not have I should of expected it but lack of experience didn't allow me too). The end result though is worth it. I have learned how to handle my wife's emotions better. I am quite aware of the changes in stages and I am ready for the challenges ahead. As a positive thinker, however, I'm not too worried.

Now suppose she just happens to be cluster B? Impossible you say... I know my wife... etc. But how would you actually spot a cluster B? When on best behaviour they can actually be better people than not cluster B... warmer, more seemingly empathetic, "gets you" etc... I have noticed that some people, eg. 2 of my brothers, are naturally cynical and inclined to be judgemental off the bat and will NEXT people for no real reason other than a feeling... those guys are good at spotting and avoiding cluster B... others like myself and my other 2 brothers, are totally the opposite and tend to give people a lot of chances while logically convincing ourselves that we are more civilized than our primitive brain which smells a rat.

Highly doubt my wife is the cluster B. She is a introvert like me and doesn't like to be the center of attention. I can safely rule out histrionic. She isn't Narcisstic at all. In fact she gives more then she wants and this lands here in trouble sometimes because she is too nice and gets taken advantage of. It is possible she could be slightly borderline...but all woman seem kinda borderline at times in my experience (lol). Especially when they are happy one moment but angry the next!

From the sentiments you've expressed you could easily be in the second category, as I am, so watch out.

Noted

Remember you don't actually know how your wife is spending her time, and you can bet there'd be things you didn't altogether like, however innocent they are in the scheme of things.

Maybe/Maybe not. My wife is the typical stay at home person like me. She doesn't go out rarely if at all. Never visited a bar, club, or even partied. She never did any of these things even in college. She doesn't drink like me either....very compatible things I have with her. What surprised me though was she admitted to watching tons of porn before I took her virginity. That surprised me for whatever reason. I'm guessing she just got real curious and things built up in her head I was, at the time, a little bit worried I'd start a sexual awakening in her. But nothing come of it and she just enjoys sex with me.

It's funny how close friendships with opposite sex coworkers (etc) can evolve into loads of emotional support, co dependence and sex... or she could be going out to bars and finding casual hookups to fuck... don't forget women live in a state of sexual abundance that you and I could only dream about... put it this way, if you were having a quiet night in with a movie and you knew there was a pack of chocolate biscuits in the house, how long could you resist?

I'm not worried about my wife cheating or straying. I used to be the most possessive and jealous guy but my wife has taken that out of me effectively. Hopefully I won't become another statistic that believes his wife would NEVER cheat or stray but the only thing I can do is become the best husband I can be and my wife won't have any positive benefit to ever doing so. Also would like to mention woman from her culture don't stray as much as western women. They're quite more submissive and in general more loyal.

Additionally if she's cluster B she could be professing undying love and how she coud never look at another man and she would be totally convincing because it would be true for her at that time, one of the major symptoms of these illnesses is the ability to push unacceptable thoughts, events or actions out of conscious awareness.

All this I learned at enormous personal cost. Don't dismiss it.

Expand on these personal costs if you don't mind? Were you in a prior marriage?

cheers, Ray

Thanks for the response Ray.

>