Would you open a girl that is crying?

gameboy

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
If so, how?

Context: I just came across a girl sitting by herself on the beach. She seemed rather young, but quite pretty. As I got close, I saw that she was literally wiping tears from her eyes.

I would have asked her how is it going, but seeing her crying totally threw me off so I didn't open her.

Regal Tiger

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
Not only would I make her day 1000X better, I've done it before!

And the approach was just that "I would ask how your day going but it doesn't seem to be going well"

"Not really"

"Well I'll be honest, I saw you over here and I thought you were cute as a button. And even though it might not be the best timing in the world it's the only one we've got. I'm Regal Tiger"

There are things I would do a little differently now, like add in a little speal about how it must be fate and pace a little better. But I should have still gotten the above girl if I didn't fuck up later down the road

But she was super happy I approached her. Obviously it won't be like that every time but hey, I'm sitting at 1/1 100% so far for good crying approaches ;)

gameboy

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Nice! Should have done that definitely... I'm kicking myself again lol... I talked to a few girls today but she was by far the cutest one I saw!

Tony D

Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Don't ever ask anyone how they are doing. Just give them the gift of your attention in an entertaining way. You could make a statement. "Are those tears of joy or sorrow?"

Chase

Chieftan
Staff member
tribal-elder
When I attended my first pickup bootcamp at the start of 2006, as we were all leaving the club at night this girl walked by alone, crying in the rain. One of the instructors ran after her. We stood there debriefing outside the club until he returned 10 minutes later. I asked him how it went. "Got her number," he said. He said he comforted her for a minute and then they got to talking normally.

I don't know what came of it after that (he was only in town another day), but that was one of those early experiences that taught me you CAN approach in pretty much any situation.

Chase

StrayDog

Modern Human
Modern Human
Mr. Gameboy. You are often finding way too many reasons not to approach, and not enough reasons why you aught to. Believe me when I say the reasons you aught to are there, you just have to look for them.

"This girl is crying, I should probably leave her alone" can just as easily be "this girl is crying, she could probably use a charming man to brighten her day" (granted you don't do some painfully uncalibrated thing that ads to her misery. which you won't)

Last edited:

gameboy

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Mr. Gameboy. You are often finding way too many reasons not to approach, and not enough reasons why you aught to.

I completely agree Mr. StrayDog!

I'm working on it, but it does take some time to reprogram a lifetime of conditioning... thank you all for your help!

As for this particular case, I just didn't know what to do. I was going to open her with a cheerful "Hey how's your day going", but when I saw her face and realized she was crying, that seemed like a terrible opener so I aborted.

Next time I come across a crying girl I'll be better prepared.

>