How do you develop voice?

truthasker

Rookie
Rookie
I think in one thread some guy mentioned you still need to develop your voice or something along those lines. I just wanted to know is there like a proper approach to doing this? Like they said to call the girl but what if you don't have a good voice. So someone mentioned you still need to develop your voice/improve it. How would you do that? Just talking won't do that. Any sort of guide on this?

Regal Tiger

Cro-Magnon Man
Cro-Magnon Man
So, first just to make sure we're on the same page it's not about developing a deep voice because that will eventually fry your vocal chords.

What you want to do is find your own vocal range and stop speaking higher than your own normal. You want to relax your throat and vocal chords and speak in a rapport-neutral tone

Ways to find your range:
1) learn how to breathe into your stomach, most people breathe into their chest and subsequently speak from their chest. This raises their tone and pitch

Or worse, it makes them force air out of their throat instead of the more natural stomach

It also has the added benefits of forcing you to be more relaxed, which will come off as more confident and attractive and etc.

2) Speak from your "mask". This I got from Art of Manliness and will just copy and paste:

To speak with your natural pitch and optimal tone, you need to project your voice from your “mask.” Where’s your mask? Glad you asked. It’s the area on your face that includes your lips and the bridge and sides of your nose. You know you’re projecting from your mask when you feel the area slightly vibrate when you speak. When you can feel vibration in that area, you know you’re speaking with your optimal pitch and tone. A voice projected from the mask won’t be nasally nor will it strain your throat.

According to voice coach, Dr. Morton Cooper, here’s how to hone in on your optimal pitch and tone that comes from speaking from your mask:

Answer the following statement with a spontaneous and sincere “mmm-hmmm.” Keep your lips closed and let your inflection rise on the “hmmm.” Pay attention for a slight vibration in your mask area:

The statement: Regal Tiger is so hot

Do your Mmm Hmmm and on the hmm you should feel your lips area vibrate. That's the pitch you want

3) Rapport Neutral Tonality, plus some other tips
Here's an article I wrote based on Charisma Matrix video about it:
https://www.charismaticbusinessman.com/how-to-speak-with-confidence-charisma-matrix-review/

4) Mind your body language in general
It's hard to speak properly when you're constantly falling in on yourself. There's a cool little exercise you can do to find your near-perfect posture:

Stand next to a wall with your heels a few inches away from the wall. Now, without moving your feet, lean back so that your back is on the wall. Then try to adjust so that only your butt, your shoulder blades and the back of your head is touching the wall. That should be close to where you need to be posture-wise

What this will do is allow your lungs to fully fill with air when you're trying to speak and it'll help relax the rest of your body as well

5) Drink plenty of water

Yeah, sounds dumb right? But you'd be surprised how many people need this tip or how often people need to be reminded about it, including myself

Again, helps the body to relax, hydrates and all of that good stuff. But it also moistens up the body so that everything can work better. Like a machine without any lube... and you want things to be lubricated, right? ;)

6) Some other misc. things you can do off the top of my head:

Learn to be more confident in general, take up space in your surroundings so that you can relax when you're out and about

Get your money right so that you don't have to worry about life in general

Focus on your own comfort while out in public, even if it does come at the expense of looking like a king (more of a personal opinion on this one as some people feel better focusing on their image). But ultimately, you do need to be relaxed

Check out GC's article on adding that George Clooney purrrr: https://www.girlschase.com/content/book-excerpts-get-sexy-voice

rockstar

Tool-Bearing Hominid
Tool-Bearing Hominid
Can you tell when someone has a better/more attractive voice than someone else? How does your own voice differ from that?

You can practice your voice anytime you want. Just start talking to yourself out loud, and try to have a good voice while doing so. Recording yourself can really help tune you in to what you want to change

Some things I focus on:
  • Speaking with a good pace (not too fast)
  • Speaking from around the bottom of my range (lower pitch)
  • Not using too many filler words - being confident and articulate
  • Speaking loudly and clearly and not trailing off or mumbling
  • Having variance in rhythm and pitch (don't be monotone, be engaging, have your voice reflect emotions of what you're saying)
  • Speaking with a bit of strength/finality/assertiveness (particularly when thinking about leading groups and chaotic situations)

nicolascfl

Space Monkey
space monkey
Hey, to develop your voice you need to speak slowly with no stress and loud voice

>